Think Im finished with this one.

EOW 146 Into the woods

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the crits guys.
    this is where I am so far

EOW 146 Into the woods

Thanks
    matoohan: Looking good! Nice light and composition. Small crit: I'm not sure where the beginning of the forest is, as it looks like the path leads down into an open plain and far in the distance is the actual forest. But since you put those two big trees in the foreground - you probably meant this to be the beginning of the forest.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Felt like taking a break from CHOW, here's some rough as guts thumbnails. Some kickass stuff formulating in here!

~J

Thanks

word to the E, O, double "V"

Nice open subject matter. Here is what I got so far. struggling with the palette a lot right now. I want it to feel like a warm patch of shade on a hot day. The back story will be a race track, with some future rally cars zipping over and under the fallen tree. I want to keep it loose but not sketchy.

love the round so far.
    "the Hispanic mechanic?"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichLyons View Post
    Ok, kind of silly question, but since I spend a lot of my time with Photoshop: Do you keep your atmosphere on a separate layer? If so, do you then turn it off during most of the painting process, so you can quickly Alt-Select colors from within the painting, without getting the altered value (if you had the atmo. on)? I find it tricky to paint underneath an active atmosphere layer, as I can't predict the end look.

Ahoy Dragon4Lunch,

I normally slap down the colour on a normal layer.
    In this case I was using a grey blue on a multiply layer for shadows and a screen layer to pick out the highlights.
    The atmosphere was a normal layer with a light grey blue colour, I then cut the opacity right back and mask out the elements I want to pop into the foreground. When I’m ok with the result I just flatten and start colour picking on a new normal layer.

I find if I leave to many options for myself eg. Fog layer, light layer, light pillars layer etc I just get bogged down in tweaking. So I flatten and push on. It might not be the best approach if you need to make alts for clients but it speeds things up in my case.
    You can either keep it on a seperate layer or drop the layer, whatever works for you. I Use Painter and tend to drop layers down, because I don't like to fiddle with a lot of layers. I end up adjusting things anyways. You can always save in steps, saving a new file after dropping the layer. You can always bring your old undropped layer back into photoshop if your results start to look crappy. You can always cut and paste what you had in previously or start from where you were at. That's the beauty of working digitally. Looking nice though.

Thanks
    Spent today pushing values and working the atmosphere, still quite a ways to go.
    The Perfect Is the Enemy of the Good - Voltaire

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    dragon4lunch-Hey there. Thought I would share my thoughts with your environment. Color choices I like. Things that you could fix, trees seem to be consistently the same size in the foreground. I sized them up; increased the road size a bit to give better illusion of depth. I also pushed the values in the background to be close together. Painted a person to help with scale. Painted a rock in the grass to give it some variation. You could, also, throw in some grass blades here and there in the road to give it more interest. Added some tree branches in as well. I think every bit of detail is important scalewise. Main thing is to get the basic crap in first before going into detail. It is important to get the illusion of depth with not only atmosphere, but also with a mixture of big to small shapes in foreground and in background. Giving the image some kind of rhythm helps as well. Think of electric power poles going into the distance. Even though this a forest with a bunch of organic forms, you still can go big to small with things that are the same size going into the background. You can do it with the trees, rock and the dirt path. Hope this helps. Good luck with finishing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener View Post
    Spent today pushing values and working the atmosphere, still quite a ways to go.
    I think you should spend more time getting the composition and design down first. Use a mixture of hard edged brushes with the soft. You're going soft, and it looks like you are going into rendering. You don't want to have a bad base drawing or painting to start from. I usually go hard brushes adjusting the values by moving my picker thingy in my pallete, going darker or lighter that way. Then I throw in some soft edge brushes to with lighter values to give atmosphere. You can either do it on another layer or go straight on painting or both. Throw in some perspective lines to help. I also like to think of things in terms of shape, but shapes with volume. Cubes, Prisms, Spheres, Cylinders, etc., really help not to overcomplicate things. Also, there is a top and bottom to everything. Anything above the Horizon Line we should see under. Anything below, we should see the top. As objects approach horizon line, water, rocks etc., should get smaller and thinner. Clouds as well. Good luck though. I hope that this helpful for you.

Thanks
    hey guys, can i come play?

dragon4lunch great piece ive enjoyed watching it develop, your direct approach is strong and energetic. My one critique is more of a taste thing, your flowers look like they were made with a brush? Personally, I think that works for mechanical things like chains, but flowers really need more sensitivity.

RichLyons im a big fan of your work, I have a folder full of your process images from your blog (hope you dont mind) , cant wait to see the finish, are your refs of Mt. Washington?

Rusty also been lovin your characters, glad to see you branching out.

heres my thang. still getting messy with it.
    Last edited by vertebra; July 20th, 2010 at 03:13 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vertebra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vertebra-That's just a paintover for Dragon4lunch. LOL. His painting. Give him the credit. XD

Thanks
    oh, hah, okay i edited the post.

Thanks
    thanks again for the feedback everyone. Really great work in this round. I changed mine quite a bit. I tried to enforce the feeling of going into the woods. Not sure though...

Thanks
    Beelow: I wish there was an "ultra-thanks" button, for special occasion. You deserve one! I'm reworking the piece right now - Ironically I get most compliments for the colors, which is the part I'm most afraid of - that I guess I didn't even spot some of the most obvious things: Scale up the trees in the foreground and enhance perspective by scaling up the path in the foreground! Good stuff! Thank you!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome entries so far!

@RichLyons
    Stunning piece of art! Values are great

@goldilockz
    Your painting looks too grey. Push the highlights and darks more to give it some contrast.
    Also the tree bark shouldn´t be total grey, there is always some different colored light reflecting from somewhere, like the blue from the sky or the green from the foliage.

@Mephistoau
    Waiting for an update to crit.

@Rusty
    Great thumbnails. Keep in mind the forest should be the main interest in your image (regarding the fourth panel).

@no name brand
    Awesome colors!

@jkeener
    Like already said, think again about the brief. I think you should focus more on the woods. Also the composition needs some refinement.

@vertebra
    Looks really interesting. I´m looking forward to see a colored version.

@android411
    That´s the best version yet, keep at it. A small tip when it comes to basic coloring: There is an adjustment layer in photoshop called “gradient map”, you can use it to give the dark parts of you image a different color than the bright parts. Make sure to use “overlay” as layer mode.
    This method will give you better results than your painted approach.

Here´s a small update on my piece.
    Some critics would be great!

Attachment 1023093

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arne Meyer For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast