Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    i'm trying to think if a story with this one..a robot + bunny + forest = ?
    Funlabor.com, my portfolio site.
    Paint My Brains Out, my blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey guys!

Great stuff so far.
    I took the time to give some critics, hopefully they are useful.
    Forgive me my rusty school english.

@Sebestian
    Looks good, keep it up!

@pacha
    Looks really interesting. Iīm curous what will develop out of this.

@xLouisax
    At the moment itīs more like a meadow than a forest. Fill it up with vegetation, donīt be afraid of foliage Also you should focus on values and lightning.

@monotony
    Great thumbs. I like the second better, itīs more dynamic. But you are right, main focus point should be the environment. Otherwise you use the tree (the environment) as a story telling element so it should be okay I guess.

@matoohan
    Absolutely beautiful . I like the scale and the painterly look. Nothing to crit.

@El Khan
    Nice moonlight mood. Keep in mind not to focus too much on characters.

@Incinerated
    Beautiful forest painting! Only thing to crit is: the composition is imo to boring. I think the image would benefit from extending it to the right or left.

@VishvaTKH
    Really nice pencil drawing, great linework. I personally liked the version with the character better.
    Now the pole looks a bit lost and you loose the feeling for scale because there is not much for comparison (except the little skulls hanging from the tree).

@Aragah
    First of all you should have a focus point in your painting. A point of interest, like a special shaped tree or something like this. Then you need do arrange that in your compostion. You chose a square format, was that decision on purpose? I would advice you to choose a 2:3 ratio on image aspects.
    The reason for this, is to be easily able to follow the golden section (google it, if you didnīt hear of it yet). Basicly itīs just the idea to place the point of interest in 1/3 or 2/3 of the image area in length and width.

@Absorber
    On my two screens its more grey than black.
    I like the scale of it but the light irritates me. Why is the path in this forest as bright as the sky?
    Is this a very small forest (exept for its height ) or is there some sort of a light source in there?

@Spire
    I like the camera angle you chose. You should work on values and color next. Make the building more dark and brighten the light up. Add some other colours than just these two. Add reflections to the river.

@Mitze
    Awesome picture. I like the mood of this painting.
    I guess I would try to desaturate the blues because they give a feeling of free space behind the next trees, but your image profits from a more closely/trapped feeling. Otherwise you need the blue for color contrast. dunno

@Jon Gibbons
    I like the lightning. Let us see a bigger version.

@dragon4lunch
    Stunning piece, love it. These vibrant colors in the foreground are awesome. There are just a few minor things to change: First I would try to render out the linework in the background. Second I would erase some of the particles, they look a bit cloned.

@grenogs
    Interesting concept. I like the flow of your lines. One thing to crit is: thereīs no focus point and the composition is to centered.

@thescala
    The new version looks a lot better.
    Like already said you should add reflections to the river. Also some shading in the foliage is needed.

@Zilrion
    Great environment! I like the feel of depth in your painting. You should work on the ground in front a bit, in my opinion it looks unnatural flat. Also the tree in the far background looks unproportional.
    The tree in front looks interesting but itīs a very inefficient design for a tree, especially without foliage. I face that problem too right now.

@android411
    I personally liked your first one better. I guess thatīs because you had a better approach on showing the scale and also had a better feeling of going into the woods.
    But I still like what you did with the second one. The focus is more on the woods than on the buildings thatīs good. Things I would change first are: 1. The character in front. Even if heīs not in focus, some correct proportions would help a lot. Also the pose looks a bit awkward.
    2. The horizon line is at the middle of the picture . I guess it would look better when you place it at 1/3 from the bottom, especially to sell the size of the trees.

@OchreHand
    Looks great so far, especially the robot. Just keep in mind to give the environment at least the same amount of detail.

Good luck to all of you!

And hereīs my WIP, still very basic.
    Critic much appreciated!

Attachment 1021423

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arne Meyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thescala very powerful colors, i really hope you can pull that off. Someone already said this but reflecting the trees in the water is a really good move to be making.

ochrehand good start, remember it should be about the environs, robots are fine so are bunnies but still... Anyway looking forward to see what you do with it

android411 great colors, good shapes- the structures dont work that well IMO tho, you already have good points of interest.

dragon4lunch very nicely executed, its very plainly "just" a forest right now, put something in there.

Jon Gibbons good idea, you have some light stealing the focus in there...

mitze that has butloads of potential, don't say you suck - you really don't... at any rate keep working on that!

grenogs nice pencils, you're still missing a point of interest, but i bet you're gonna do something about that.

Zilrion interesting piece, I would probably move the person futher into the pic - for example up on the spiraling tree, you're leading the eye up there anyway.

Spire put a person in the foreground, and remember this one is about the forest- i like the light situation.
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

|Deviantart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Incinterated: Good point. I thought of that too - but I didn't want the beginning of the quest be too extraordinary - that would ruin the building creepiness/intensity of the quest

Hopefully now there is a enough going on to make it more than just a forest.

EOW 146 Into the woods

Thanks

ahoy hoy

hello there, here's my very typical path through the woods. Not very exciting at this point but I am enjoying the process.
    Dragon4Lunch - loving your piece, tons of energy!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RichLyons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    RichLyons: Thanks for the comment - very groovy piece yourself! Digging the scale of the lighting, comp and drawing skills! Very nice core shadow on that giant stump in the foreground!

Ok, kind of silly question, but since I spend a lot of my time with Photoshop: Do you keep your atmosphere on a separate layer? If so, do you then turn it off during most of the painting process, so you can quickly Alt-Select colors from within the painting, without getting the altered value (if you had the atmo. on)? I find it tricky to paint underneath an active atmosphere layer, as I can't predict the end look.

Thanks
    I need a fresh set of eyes
    Attachment 1021610
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

|Deviantart

Thanks

into the woods

an update...added some details, corrected some stuff.....
    next i wanna improve lights atmo, just a little.....and maybe there is a work with detailing foreground plants..so, see you soon.

btw. really great works around here, i will post some comments later, now ist time to sleep

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matoohan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts
    Incinerated : more contrast! look at matoohan's, dragon's and rich's. Their shadows are dark enough and highlights are bright enough that you don't get lost in the piece. Your piece right now is excellent, but it is too bland in terms of contrast. Just my 2 cents.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Obilex For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ahoy

Ok, kind of silly question, but since I spend a lot of my time with Photoshop: Do you keep your atmosphere on a separate layer? If so, do you then turn it off during most of the painting process, so you can quickly Alt-Select colors from within the painting, without getting the altered value (if you had the atmo. on)? I find it tricky to paint underneath an active atmosphere layer, as I can't predict the end look.

Ahoy Dragon4Lunch,

I normally slap down the colour on a normal layer.
    In this case I was using a grey blue on a multiply layer for shadows and a screen layer to pick out the highlights.
    The atmosphere was a normal layer with a light grey blue colour, I then cut the opacity right back and mask out the elements I want to pop into the foreground. When I’m ok with the result I just flatten and start colour picking on a new normal layer.

I find if I leave to many options for myself eg. Fog layer, light layer, light pillars layer etc I just get bogged down in tweaking. So I flatten and push on. It might not be the best approach if you need to make alts for clients but it speeds things up in my case.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RichLyons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am 100% out of my league here, but here is my first wip of my very first ever enviro. Crits always welcome. I don't feel comfortable crit-in' anyone else yet because I'm so new to this type of painting... I hope that's ok with you all.

Thanks
    so many awesome forests here

Thanks
    This is my first try at an enviro. Learning a lot!

I decided to base it on old Japanese paintings. Tomorrow I will put in the lights..only time for the dark's tonight.
    The Perfect Is the Enemy of the Good - Voltaire

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Just a quick sketch - about 20 mins or so. Playing around trying to get a bit of character into my environs

Thanks
    Rich: Right on, it is good to read that other heavy duty Photoshoppers also feel encumbered, when there are too many layers. It feels liberating to just flatten things down once in a while and go for it. Interesting that you sometimes go the multiply route for shadows.

Thanks!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast