Art: comic logo

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: comic logo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

comic logo

I have a comic book I'm working on. This is the logo. I'm shooting for DC Vertigo. The genre is post apocalyptic fairytale with political undertones and an offbeat humor. Sort of a bastard son of indie, fantasy and steampunk.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would change the lockup of the words to increase legibility, as I see a couple of issues.

The problem is that "neither" and "nor" are very similar in size, and the first thing that happened when I opened the thread was that I tried reading them as one word that went around a corner.

I would put "neither" on the top by itself, keep the scale. Then I would scale "nor" down to fit the height of "HERE" and "THERE", depending on how you want the rhytm of the title to be, you can then choose if you want to place it at the end of "HERE" or at the beginning of "THERE".

Finally, play around with the composition of those three elements until you find a good fit. Currently the H and the T are *almost* aligned, while the rest of the stems don't fit. Since you seems to have aligned the text to the right, I don't think it was intentional and that alignment creates a cross that is attracting focus, it's probably better to move it a bit to avoid that distraction.

Also, while I'm not a follower of the steampunk genre, I'm guessing that throwing in some texture in there and perhaps a glow for the outline would help give it some character. While these are things that graphic designers often can't stand, especially in logos, my impression of steampunk is that worn metal and ambient light is a big part of the esthetic. After all, a logo is meant to communicate more than the words themselves.

-kim

Last edited by kab; July 12th, 2010 at 09:32 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if the lettering goes with what your comic content is. So i won't comment on that, but based on the style of the words it looks more futuristic than steampunk, and too square for fantasy. but again, i don't know what the content SOOOOOO. . .

here's my crit.

it looks like you want a box feel SO, have the word neither cover the top. then in the middle have the word HERE going horizontal and NOR vertical. then at the bottom THERE. that way your text reads right to left and won't run into one another. Maybe even add some arrows at the corners to add some flare.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trevissg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something like this maybe.

comic logo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to trevissg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Yeah...I'm over the hill and ever sooOOOOoooooo '60s, but...

"The genre is post apocalyptic fairytale with political undertones and an offbeat humor. Sort of a bastard son of indie, fantasy and steampunk."

I looked at your list of what you required for the logo, and did this quicky to get across one way you could do it. It's in color, but the black and white version would still work without any trouble--red is black 100%, bullet is 50-60% black and grungey lettering stays. You could probably find a lot better texture for the lettering.

ADD: Just realized there was an alternative version, and actually a third where the "H" is totally on its side holding up the "E."

Last edited by Ilaekae; July 15th, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the 3rd version. There is a slight bit of humor implied with this one that doesn't show in the others...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like where your going with your logo, but there are a few things to consider. First of all is readability, the words "neither" and "nor" are practically touching each other making the viewer read it as "neither nor here there" Another problem i see is your spacing and composition. yes even in logo and graphic design you must consider composition. neither and nor are both different sizes and also there is sticking out too much to the left.

Not sure if i like any of the ones other ppl suggested, so like them im giving you my take in the direction you should take it

Name:  neitherHere.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  19.1 KB

take in consideration i did this quick, for you i would use the same font and style treatment from your original logo and maybe play around with the spacing. Hope i helped if not, hope i learn something here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't forget about the basic rules of graphic design. I didn't read it as "neither here nor there"

If you could give us a picture of the comic book cover we could get a better idea of what sort of font would suit it. A comic book has a personality and so does type, you need to match them. After that you probably don't even need to worry about type arrangement.

Universally, if you're going post apocalyptic...

Many (say fallout) highlight the culture of the civilisation that existed pre-apocalypse. So if you were going for a fallout era storyline, you could simply use this font http://www.dafont.com/ballpark-weiner.font , make it white, decently thick blue outline.

Then chuck a paper texture on it to make it match the grittiness of the comic book cover.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pocoyo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for such a late response you guys. Thank you all for all of your thoughtful critiques and designs. I went with Lucky Devils advice.

I attached a page I put togethert last year. No need to critique the page. I know it doesn't read well. Let's just stay on the subject of the logo.

I'd like to stay away from stylization of a flashy font. This isn't exclusively Steam Punk, Post Apocalyptic, Horror, Sci Fi, Fantasy or Fairy Tale. It's an homage to those genres. Sort of why "Here Nor There" is the perfect title.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the last one.)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chr. Steam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel a pixel font would do better.

Next to that, I'm sorry to say that the logo just doesn't appeal to me. The text being so close together makes it look a bit chaotic and disturbing instead of accurate and simple, which are the basics of a logo imo.

I like your second try the best, but I'd attach the arrow with the 'E' and delete the odd looking pixel error, so the 'E' and the arrow connect. And I'd try putting less space between the letters and try something else with the 'nor', because the vertical text is just not working there imo. And to end I'd put in more margin between the words, so more space in between the words.

Hope I'm making some sense, good luck!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Exasm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if an arrow or pixel art is necessary. I understand what your talking about with the spacing. There is sort of a pattern in the story. It's like peaceful tranquility followed by panic.

Here's a new one. I stretched the text on the last one too much. I tried something new with "neither". I think it works, but I'm not 100%.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; July 16th, 2010 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet the font doesn't look right. I didn't mean you should add pixel art, just a more static styled font. The reason is that the 'static' sort of composition (the words being right-angled with each other), doesn't go with the somewhat round forms in the font.

Especially the non-capital r's look awkward to me. There's still no margin in between the words though, the letters sort of collapsing with each other make it unpleasant to read. If you want to connect the words I'd advice you do it some other way, I feel the words just need to have a margin in between.

And what's with the 'neither' overlapping the 'T' all of the sudden ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to stress, it's not friendly type. I don't read the logo as the title actually reads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would have been better if you use the logo with the comic below it.
    It is much better than the others.
    but you still have font issues though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the design you have in the latest post. I think it is easier to read and understand then the first one you came up with. I like the daring new age word config. Very cool. I think it will go well with the theme you have chosen for the work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do like the latest logo, but I would also like to suggest try playing with "neither" and "nor" and make them smaller and place them in or under the different letters as if they were hiding? just for visual humor I guess, but good work so far btw.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.