Photshop on a PC vs. Mac
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Photshop on a PC vs. Mac

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photshop on a PC vs. Mac

Does anyone out there work with Photoshop on both a Mac and a Windows PC? If so, does the auto-mouse decelerate feature on the Mac ever mess you up?

I'll admit that I'm primarily a windows guy and by default, windows mouse tracking does not "slow down" when the cursor approaches an icon or button... However, apparently the Mac does have this "slow down" turned on by default... and from what I've heard, it can't even be turned off... This results in getting the mouse cursor almost to the destination icon, but not quite... It is very frustrating.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Does this affect you in your work?

I've been wanting to purchase a Mac for sometime, but the mouse tracking has always been a concern.

Thanks in advance.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

- Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work on pc at home and mac at work. and i have never heard the deceleration for mac nor have i ever noticed it. I use wacom most of the time and it works just fine, same as the pc i have at home.

The only thing that annoys me is the alt and command key switching between machines. although i have gotten used to it by now, only took 2 years

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used a PC for years and just switched over to Mac last year. I didn't really notice a difference over-all (except that PS was faster on my Mac, but it's a much more powerful machine than my PC ever was) and for a few swaps in the shortcut keys. No tracking differences, no funky glitches.. Worked just fine. I've never noticed anything with the tracking on the mouse being different flipping back and forth between PC & Mac, but maybe I'm just used to it now (because I never knew to look for a difference in the first place) so I don't notice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Biggest difference: Photoshop never crashed on me on my iMac loosing hours of work.

About the mouse thing. I never noticed it actually. I do know the mouse on the mac is a real pain so I'm using my tablet instead of the mouse

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Photoshop has crashed on my mac once, at least 5 times on my PC. Also, I happen to prefer the aesthetics on Photoshop on a Mac, although I'm sure there's a mod for that available on PCs. I think the general consensus would be that Mac is ever so slightly prefered, but really you may not even notice it. I don't know anything about a decelerate feature, I've never even heard of that problem.

Also I have the magic mouse that comes with the new iMacs and it is bitchin out of control. Once you get the Better Touch Tool it's pretty amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback everyone,

It certainly is an issue...
    Here is an article I found by doing a quick search.
    http://arewold.wordpress.com/2006/07...-acceleration/

I've been contemplating a Mac for awhile, but am not sure about the mouse oddities, the price, and having to buy the Mac version of Adobe products when I have access to the Windows versions.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

- Pablo Picasso

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you work in conceptart/illustration professionally and don't do any 3D, you will never regret switching to mac.
    PS has always been miles more stable, and much better optimized on macs as well.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LostFayth View Post
    Biggest difference: Photoshop never crashed on me on my iMac loosing hours of work.

About the mouse thing. I never noticed it actually. I do know the mouse on the mac is a real pain so I'm using my tablet instead of the mouse
    Same Photoshop Never Crashed on my Imac, but did a few times on my pc

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No difference really. Most crashes are attributed due to the lack of or the failure of the program in reading or executing a certain command. It's got nothing to so with the actual OS. In any case if Adobe and Apple are still going to be fighting in the years to come you may come to realize the lack of support given to apple users.

It all boils down to what your used to. And a program runs faster on machines with better specs. The question is would you rather shell out double the money for the same specs (even though there is very little upgradeable and limited choices in MAC) or buy a decent machine and still have the use of your arms and legs

As for crashing whether you use a Mac or a PC , I find it retarded not to quick save your work every 5 minutes. It's your own fault if you lose hours of work because you couldn't bother or didn't have the foresight to save regularly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if the 'crashes on this OS' or another is really important (and for the record, I've had Photoshop crash a few times on my Mac over the last 12 years with different versions ... I'm a Windows user now, and it's only been a year, but it hasn't crashed Photoshop on me yet ...).

Photoshop runs 'smoother' on my Macs, and my Windows machine loads the program / saves files faster, but otherwise I don't notice any difference between the two: my opinion would be to go with what you are comfortable with and what you can afford.

In the end, Photoshop is Photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by grado View Post
    I like to put photoshop in the MAC to use, fast, easy and get better colors if using the big screen of MAC.run photoshop in the windows PC are quite slow if running another piture software at same time, but MAC don't have such problems.
    That's an odd thing. I usually run Photoshop CS5, Painter 11, Bridge, and SAI all the same time (as well as my music program and OneNote 2010 for notes) and they all play nice and fast, just like my Mac does. Perhaps you were using XP?

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh wow, thread where bots are speaking to bots is brought to life again by a bot

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cleaned the thread up and locking it since bots
    seem to have a hard-on for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.