Space Character Concepts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Space Character Concepts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Space Character Concepts

Hello world. I'm designing a small animation drawn frame by frame in flash. My problem is I need it to be simple because I'm only one man with a lot of work ahead of me.

Building these characters is difficult because they look too simple. The design needs to be pushed, and you know where. I have four design concepts here. The image with the male and female are what I'm leaning on at this point.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    umm. . . maybe i didn't ask the right question. I need to know where to push the design of the space character to give it more attitude. he doesn't really have an identity. I know CA can come up with many ways to push the simplicity of the character design. Would a color job help???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In your second post, you tried to clarify what areas you wanted to push, but you mentioned attitude, identity and simplicity. So which of those is it, or is it all three?

I'm not a good cartoonist myself, but I think it would be a good idea to really pin down what the personalities of the characters are and then push their designs/costumes to reflect that. For instance, the girl space cadet looks like she might be prissy/snobby/attitudey, so (if that is her character), you could push that by giving her a sharp nose that she could stick up, make her costume more girlish dressy, give her boots cartoonishly thick soles so she stands even taller than she is, etc. Just thinking of stuff off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

Not sure if that's the kind of thing you were asking for or not, so you could clarify further if I missed the mark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES. noses. That actually helped. I'll be posting the redesign in a couple hours. I kinda went with a more comic book look, with noses.
    The problem I was running into was designing a character without having eyes. The helmets visor will bend and twist but you can't really see his eyes under. I changed that and added noses.

I'll post it after I go get diapers for the baby. family first

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to find the best overall design for a simple animated cartoon. I'm really struggling to find something that works well. Simple but strong design.

The character is a child. He's a space explorer, an adventurer and a bit of a coward, but overall he's just out to have fun. Be a kid. He has moments of bravery but he's not your typical hero with this innate ability to be awesome, he's normal and funny.
    But he does have a pet robot that can self destruct.

I've been drawing this character since middle school but an now looking to refine him. I have a degree in animation and lean to character design but for some reason I can not make this space man work. Probably because he started as crap.

So far which is the strongest??? How can I make it stronger.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.