Software advice.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Software advice.

Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting a program for colouring / adusting scanned drawings / artwork. I haven't done this kind of thing in a while (it's more of a hobby for me) and the laptop I have probably won't even support the newer software anyway. Would it be worth getting older programs to get started? I've seen older versions of Photoshop and Corel Draw on Ebay for a decent price (meaning I can own them legally of course!) - would it be worth getting older versions of these programs just to get started?

To give you an Idea of what I'm doing I'm basically a comic fan who has misguided intentions of writing / drawing his own stuff and maybe publishing someday, I have some stuff that I'd like to get scanned and show around to get feedback from other artists / fans.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you use PC?
    Then I would recommend Pixarra Twisted Brush: http://www.pixarra.com/

Its a well priced and user-friendly program with excellent support - as well as having every tool and brush you could possibly want in you area of interest plus more.

I personally wouldn't waste money buying older programs that are out of date.
    (Another thing I like about Twisted Brush is that it updates new features quite frequently and so stays fresh).

Also as an aside, if you like to use watercolor with your cartoon sketching... I find Twisted Brush Pro Studio has the most realistic watercolor brushes of any program I tried, and are easier to use than some of the more famous name software.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say that as long as it does what you need it to and is compatible with your existing system...why not use an older version of Photoshop. Before you spend the money though have you tried the GIMP? I know it's not quite the same as PS...I have it installed on my system as well, but it is free and is capable of quite a bit.

Just out of curiousity...what are your system specs anyway?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
    Do you use PC?
    Then I would recommend Pixarra Twisted Brush: http://www.pixarra.com/

Its a well priced and user-friendly program with excellent support - as well as having every tool and brush you could possibly want in you area of interest plus more.

I personally wouldn't waste money buying older programs that are out of date.
    (Another thing I like about Twisted Brush is that it updates new features quite frequently and so stays fresh).

Also as an aside, if you like to use watercolor with your cartoon sketching... I find Twisted Brush Pro Studio has the most realistic watercolor brushes of any program I tried, and are easier to use than some of the more famous name software.
    Some of the brushes are indeed very nice but I just can't get over by how awful and horrible the interface is, it's like a 1996 GUI bad dream. If they designed a proper modern UI then it would get talked more for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    double post...

Last edited by Rowena; July 23rd, 2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: double post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portus, what is a 1995 GUI bad dream, LOL?

The UI is actually quite convenient, especially as all the controls (excepting the tool bar at the top of the page) are movable - so you drag stuff around your monitor as it suits you best.

But what exactly in your opinion, does 'a proper modern UI' look like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That UI is very raw, like something a developer would use initially before sending it off to a UI designer, they need to simplify a lot of those options, the color picker picker is not user friendly at all for example, a color wheel and HSV sliders would be sufficient.
    Everything about the UI of Twisted Brush screams 1992-1996 software interface, my favorite interfaces are SAI and PS CS-Cs5, it doesn't need the junk that Artrage has like dumb drop shadows and imac candy buttons, but I mean the actual layout and options, a shame because some of the brushes are the best like the ink pen that connects like real ink but even picking brushes are hard, couldn't figure anything.
    It isn't a mystery, if they hired a good UI designer the program would be popular, simplicity and efficiency above all!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Back to the OP's question

What operating system are you using or intending to use, because there are a lot of freeware programs on XP or Windows systems we can recommend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's your budget by the way?

I can also recommend Paint Sai (I like it better than Paint Corel) which should go for $60. Try the demo and see if it's for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    That UI is very raw, like something a developer would use initially before sending it off to a UI designer, they need to simplify a lot of those options, the color picker picker is not user friendly at all for example, a color wheel and HSV sliders would be sufficient.
    Everything about the UI of Twisted Brush screams 1992-1996 software interface, my favorite interfaces are SAI and PS CS-Cs5, it doesn't need the junk that Artrage has like dumb drop shadows and imac candy buttons, but I mean the actual layout and options, a shame because some of the brushes are the best like the ink pen that connects like real ink but even picking brushes are hard, couldn't figure anything.
    It isn't a mystery, if they hired a good UI designer the program would be popular, simplicity and efficiency above all!

I don't have PS-CS or SAI but out of genuine interest I had a look and see what is special about the new UI, but they appear rather cluttered when compared to the older 1990's TB UI - is it mainly in the styling of icons that makes the difference, like new window dressing?

I have tried the color wheel in both Painter and ArtRage and although it looks neat, it seems a random way of color selection as opposed the exact color selection made from color banks (which can then be modified if required using the sliders).

And as to the hundreds of brushes in TB, these can easily be banished from view if one wants to hone down the choices to individual favorites. But its quite fun to be able to explore other groups of brushes from time to time when you want to try something new so they still have usefulness.

But compared to older versions of PS as the thread-starter was considering, I think Twisted Brush Pro Studio has much more to offer for much less $.

Last edited by Rowena; July 24th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you use XP/Windows I'll list the name of free ones.

My Paint
    Open Canvas 1.1
    Artweaver
    Gimp (get the add ons)
    Artrage 2.5 (free edition)
    Alchemy
    Dog Waffle

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.