Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    CrookedHorn - really like the texture u got going on in yours

hunchback - mate that looks quality!

alive - i really like the number 2. only one i would say is maybe abit to dark is 3. oh and going from grey scale to colour i think alot of people use multiply layers.

insubstantial - nice textures in yours. she almost looks tree like if that makes sense. think it works nicely.

Beelow - awesome lighting in yours. feels really natural. only crit i would say her upper arm left arm feels alittle long maybe.

staticpen - looks a really great character. real epic looking. cant wait to see it finished.

Rusty - that is one great character you sketched. wouldn't say its a sterotype. lol what's with the mini rocket?

MrWhiskey - man, really like the head in yours!!

Pixeltuner - you have some really nice textures man. and that characters looks quality. really dark piece. think you should do more random arms in it because the one you got works really nicely!!

soo many awesome pieces!!
    mine i went for shot down corpse of a super hero gets embodied by gaia.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to no87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks for the feedback beelow and rusty

update
    CHoW#205 :: Gaia

Thanks
    LostFayth The little girl looks really cute, i'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the background.
    Beelow Nice pose, kind of like frozen in time.
    MrWhiskey I like where this is going, both Gaia's design, which is very original, and the composition.

This is where i have gotten to. I am not happy with the rock she is sitting on, something is off. I may remove it. I have too much to work on and i have been extremely busy these days.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retalliator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    spent literally 8 hours on tech support from yesterday to today cuz of a blue screen corrupted memory pool issue. hopefully tomorrow i can get some work done. >< crits after work tonight.

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Soupandbutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    no87::thankyou
    i like the cryptonyte(spelling?) shards glowing all around her.

something about the color reminds me of final fantasy VII and the life stream.....i dunno but i like it

looking forward to my shift being over so i can go home and knock out some more earth mother awesome sauce

staticpen::great link, thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by CrookedHorn; July 14th, 2010 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I only had 2 hours this week to dedicate to CHOW so here's my WIP as well as my final entry; I'm flying across the country on Friday so I hope I'll find a computer with Internet connection to post in the finals thread.

Attachment 1019361

Attachment 1019362

Thanks
    Here's my sketch-take on it. I know its kinda pretty messy but painting isn't quite my thing yet =P

Thanks
    staticpen — Your color palette is inspiring thus far and I like your original approach. Are you going to push the values more or do like a Japanese print? watercolor?
    Rusty — I concur with Reymus, the bottom version is definitely more "alive." Props as always for making me envious. I've got to speed up...

hunchback — Compelling! I honestly don't know what else you can do with it! I also think your placement of the complimentary red in the image is intriguing...

CrookedHorn — Talk about color, mister!

and on and on and on... I realize I don't have much in the way of critique for anyone at this stage... and I think all I can do is go on about how extraordinary so many pieces seem to be thus far. I'm grateful for the inspiration.

My piece is well, "exploding" currently. I'll likely pare the color back a tad, but I was just trying to experiment and take a risk or two...

Thanks
    First try at a chow, I'm not to happy with the color, I think I will do it all over again. Mixing color in photoshop is hard for me, any tips?
    The Perfect Is the Enemy of the Good - Voltaire

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    miki tikus - Nice triangular composition, but the head is a little crowded by the top of the frame in my opinion. It's very early in your drawing, but remember to vary those values so the image doesn't come out muddy. Generally, you wanna get a light, mid and dark tone, and have a ratio of 3:2:1 of those values in any order within your composition. Rembrandt did a lot of his portraits in mostly shadow, some mid tones (not as much as shadow) and a light focal point (very little of the painting was this bright). See here. If you squint most of the painting disappears into darkness - then there's some midtone on the shoulder and background - and the face is easily focused on because it's still clear.

Rusty - Thanks man. Great paintovers - you're very helpful, and that's awesome!

Beelow - Rad, man! The circular theme really pulls me in and keeps me there.

Howie - That sketch cleaned up nicely, dude!

reginanegra - Ethereal! Awesome branch work. I'd adjust the value of either the ground or group of people, though - perhaps spotlight them with ambient light? I almost didn't see them, and they're super important for scale here.

insubstantial - Gritty! Push those values, man, and this complex silhouette can pop against that circular background piece.

lostfayth - Thank you kindly! Your image reads a lot easier to me now. Rusty is right, though - keep away from the zoom button until you really must go in. We can tell that you're using a pretty small brush for a lot of these highlights, and in Rusty's paintover, for instance, the shirt is lit very believably with a quick application of a big brush. No need to go in! The huge majority of how successful an image is depends on how it reads from a distance - if you look at a thumbnail and the values and shapes are right your brain will fill in the details itself - this is when you know you've got a good foundation.

Oritey - Thanks man!

Oblivion - Very statuesque!

LA-Fairy - Traditional paint, huh? Tough stuff! It's hard to make critiques because what you put down is more or less permanent, but one thing that could help here is extending the back of the skull. The neck just heads straight up right now. Keep going!

xabian - She looks intense, dude. I'd be careful with the light here, though. Are you using a source from the right and a source from underneath? Because the outside of the arm on the right has the shadow on the right side with light underneath, but the left arm has shadow underneath and light on the left. Consistency with your light is gonna be really critical here!

alive - I dropped a link up above with a great tutorial for coloring over greyscale. Good stuff, though! I, too, like the second thumb the best. Strong separation of lights, mids and darks. You might try extending the midtone behind her down and to the left some more toward the backlight and brightening the arm on the left so that her light value stands out a little more against the background.

Reymus - Thanks man. It's my main concern as well. Still working things out! As for your image, that's one of my favorite poses from that set! Good call. She's raised toward the top right at a nice angle, so extending the hillside in the background vaguely toward the top left could create a strong X composition worth experimenting with.

hunchback - Eerie, man! I dig it very much.

CrookedHorn - BUMMER. I hear Painter crashes waaay more than PS. Digging those abstract shapes, though.

Goldilockz - Thanks! Fun idea with the elements. Your hand structure is looking pretty solid, too, except for the one on the right. From wrist to knuckles it's a sort of wedge/square shape, and what you've drawn is really elongated. Just shorten it a bit and it should read a little clearer.

Blau - Not finish it? Aw, man! It looks so epic.

no87 - Thanks very much. Those are some intense greens! Love it.

Retalliator - Some intense detailing there! Be careful not to just put parallel lines on the face when it comes to aged wrinkles, though. There are a couple specific shapes that occur, like more than one bag under the eyes, the top of the chin staying relatively free of thick folds, and the space between the eyes having a vertical fold. See here and here.

soupandbutter - Very cool! I love the staff.

fdisk - Glowy things in a bush! Reminds me of fireflies.

paperjester - That's an awesome design!! Final Fantasy meets Shadow of the Colossus.

MasterTroglodyte - Hey thanks! I was originally going for a narrow value range that uses hue to generate contrast (van gogh did a lot with this, and a lot of cel-cut japanese art does the same), but as I got more into it I pushed lights and darks a little more. We'll see how it ends up! Your piece is looking incredibly serious and apocalyptic, by the way. It's still early and I don't know your process, but don't be afraid of harder brushes to add some impact to your shapes.

JKeener - Adorable. You might try blocking in your colors and then using the smudge brush to add soft transitions.

--

Changing values and colors around here and there.
    Last edited by staticpen; July 15th, 2010 at 01:37 AM.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Latest Gaia WIP

This is what I have so far. There's still a lot I want to do but I thought I'd post my progress anyways. The hair swirlies are just an idea I had.... not sure if they're going to stay. The idea was her hair pollinates everything in the near by area and causes instant growth.

Attachment 1019427

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Another paintover while i have a break from mine.

xabian, I'm liking the subtle tones you did around the face and the more masculine body type but proportions are hurting your image, personally i would've for a slightly diff pose but i've stayed close to yours on this paint over.
    That little vine you started on her shoulder is very cool, try and keep that to a bare minimum and it'll be a nice detail, keep away from the blue highlight stuff man it just looks like space filler with no context behind it, maybe keep with the plant feel and do a subtle floral texture, just an idea.

keep at it dude

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 771 Posts
    no87: Thx, and that's what I thought too. I've already added an arm pulling her hair and probably will add more. Corporate arms pulling mother earth apart! :p
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast