Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    CHoW#205 :: Gaia

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Heya! Here's my Gaia so far, and some thoughts/comments as they occur to me:

LostFayth - yours reminds me of a story I once read, where God is a little girl playing a computer game.
    lake7less - nice sketch, that forward thrust of the neck gives her a lot of character.
    CrookedHorn - looking good! Don't let the textural stuff overwhelm the figure.
    dawnusllaw - I'm getting a demonic vibe here rather than a nature vibe...
    Ithoual - the first one is way clearer - you lose the arms entirely in the second one and its not clear what she's doing.
    PaperJester - cool sketch!
    rgeorge - I'm digging the world/womb idea. Push than sun further into the background.
    JanJager - good painting! A bit of an older and wiser Gaia, which is nice. I'm not such a fan of the convenient censoring leaves.
    Goog - that bright red is unexpected (in a good way)
    Reymus - cool; a classical Greek profile, yes?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phaethon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Much improved with the help of the paintover from rusty (thanks rusty!) - I didn't do it exactly, but stretched the legs out a little more.

Not sure about colours - was going to have earth in the centre of the image there, as if she's creating it... what do you think of that idea?
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

Thanks
    You guys are doing great, I can see some very original designs coming up .

Don't hesitate to finish your piece as the FINAL BURNING thread is up!

Thanks
    Basically finished, won't have much time to work on anything over the next couple of days But yeah anyways...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephistoau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i think its prety much done.... any suggestions before i post it in the finals thread?
    ps: i had another idea from the start about gaia and today i got around to doing it so here it is, just for the fun of it... i call her nebula-gaia
    Last edited by reginanegra; July 16th, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: to correct attachments

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reginanegra View Post
    i think its prety much done.... any suggestions before i post it in the finals thread?
    ps: i had another idea from the start about gaia and today i got around to doing it so here it is, just for the fun of it... i call her nebula-gaia
    I Like the nebula idea, i'm considering having my gaia in a space type situation. She's representing chaos in mine, thats the idea anyway!

I like your gaia in the tree - the only thing I would say if you still have time to fiddle, is that its a little flat, like the sky and the earth in the background, it looks like its on the same level as the tree etc. The tree looks 2D rather than a 3D form around the trunk area - is gaia part of the tree or in front of it coming out of it?
    Only just noticed the little folk at the bottom of the tree - their torches could be throwing off more light - they don't have any shadows - and acutally gaia's tree doesn't like there is any shadow anywhere on the ground?

I really love the concept, and the glows and the indication of space behind - I think just a few indications of shadows cast and a bit mor eon the trunk of the tree could really make it pop out more into a 3D feel. The roots are great.

My Website

Thanks
    Late runner here. I started this 2 days ago - did the pencils, scanned them and been painting today. So many great entries here by the way - really impressed. I'm probably not going to make the deadline but I thought I'd post anyway. Here are the pencils - I'll post up more progress tomorrow.

Thanks
    I can see many improvement in this thread! good work guys! so much great competitive!

I'm not quite sure where it goes...but I think that will be my direction...

Attachment 1020611

Thanks
    Everything is looking great!

I think this may as well be my final. I'm running out of steam.

Also, I have included my reference 1)so y'all know who the credit for this cool pose goes to. and 2) the reasoning to my not making radical physical changes. My figure was off, staticpen was right. But I still wanted to stick with the ref cause I love this pose!!

Thanks
    As always, you got some truly awesome stuff going on here guys.

Not the most original design here...
    Still a ways to go...

Thanks
    only dropping in briefly to check out people's work. looking great guns, can't wait for finished pieces! bummed to say that this week, work and life have gotten in the way and i wont have time to finish... looking forward to next week though!!

Thanks
    Hey all, looking for crits!

Thanks
    Here's what I'm working on. About ready to call it.

Afekay: It's looking strong, honestly. I envy your strong use of blacks and darks..

Thanks
    Can someone point me towards a hair tutorial? More like an impression of hair, not hyper realistic.
    :_(

Thanks
    Afekay That is looking sick! love it
    Lalilulelo Pretty damn badass, i like the revision better though, it looks stronger without the 2 arms

Everyone's lookin great, here's what I got so far though
    Im pretty much done with the skin tone and most of the lines on her body
    I'm not sure about those tat colors either
    & crits would really be appreciated

Thanks
    Axazel - Oh, totally keep the pose! I never meant you should switch poses. It's a great pose. You don't have to change it to correct is all I'm saying:

Afekay - That's some awesome spotlighting, for sure. My only crits are that I'm not looking at your focal point. We're attracted to contrast and saturation, and you have strong contrast in the spotlit area on the ground and the area above Gaia. My eye moves back and forth between those two points and completely skips over Gaia. You could redirect our attention to her without changing the lighting by using the other attraction (saturation) and adding some saturated orange/red colors into her facial area. Awesome progress.

Thanks
    Thanks Staticpen!

hehe.. I feel so silly for mistaking fat for knee xD
    I appreciate the support!

Thanks
    When i resize and post on these forums it gets alot fuzzier. I know that this is inevitable when shrinking an image, but is there a method to reduce the amount it fuzzes and keep some of the sharpness?

UPDATE:

Attachment 1020795

Smaller:
    Attachment 1020796

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Another quick paint over.

ArtByManon, Nice one! Be careful with rim lighting or else you end up doing more harm than good, you really have to think them out or else they can flatten forms or just look confusing, less is usually better. I didn't exactly do a good job with this paint over since i rushed.Also i like the Dr Manhattan creation thing, definitely do it!

Lalilulelo, Afekay, Those are stunning pieces! love 'em

Soupandbutter, Classy touch you got there dude, liking the small details like the moss and the staff head lighting
    Last edited by Rusty; July 17th, 2010 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtByManon View Post
    I Like the nebula idea, i'm considering having my gaia in a space type situation. She's representing chaos in mine, thats the idea anyway!

I like your gaia in the tree - the only thing I would say if you still have time to fiddle, is that its a little flat, like the sky and the earth in the background, it looks like its on the same level as the tree etc. The tree looks 2D rather than a 3D form around the trunk area - is gaia part of the tree or in front of it coming out of it?
    Only just noticed the little folk at the bottom of the tree - their torches could be throwing off more light - they don't have any shadows - and acutally gaia's tree doesn't like there is any shadow anywhere on the ground?

I really love the concept, and the glows and the indication of space behind - I think just a few indications of shadows cast and a bit mor eon the trunk of the tree could really make it pop out more into a 3D feel. The roots are great.
    i see what you mean! the torches and the shadows they cast i actually noticed and corrected. there is supposed to be a hollow in the tree and she comes out of that but i didnt put any part of the tree noticably in front of her body thats why it looks 2d....
    now the light ihad some trouble with. at first i had some patches of light coming through the foliage with kinda high contrast, but then i thought with the twilightish sky the contrast shouldnt be so high and i darkened the patches. maybe i went a bit overboard and now it seems all the area around the tree is in shadow.
    i ll try to find some time and work on it today

Thanks
    Afekay - I like the image, it is very bold with the darks, I like it - maybe pull out/make visible more of the midrange of the body?

My Website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Another quick paint over.

ArtByManon, Nice one! Be careful with rim lighting or else you end up doing more harm than good, you really have to think them out or else they can flatten forms or just look confusing, less is usually better. I didn't exactly do a good job with this paint over since i rushed.Also i like the Dr Manhattan creation thing, definitely do it!

Lalilulelo, Afekay, Those are stunning pieces! love 'em

Soupandbutter, Classy touch you got there dude, liking the small details like the moss and the staff head lighting
    Thank you again Rusty - again super massively helpful!
    I've had a breakthrough since putting this up, so will be excited to see what people think. I will fix the lighting too, cos i know what you mean, it was a bit sharp, and what you've done with the palms of the hands is much better.

My Website

Thanks
    Another update before I submit final. Not sure if I am going to make it. Got a relatively late start on this one.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, much more pleased with my Gaia now - the nebula effect has taken AGES!!! But I think it improves the movement and energy of the picture. Probably nearly finished. Just gonna fiddle about some more and possibly sharpen up some of Gaia herself.

My Website

Thanks
    Aaah! Gotta go to work v. soon! Will try to finish to some kind of standard!

Thanks
    ArtbyManon - I like the piece itself, but I think you need it needs a stronger tie to read Gaia than it is now. You might think about incorporating some rocky/planetary pieces on the path to coalescing to form the Earth.

Update, I'll eventually paint over most of the color layer.

Thanks
    Getin there now...

Thanks
    Here is some of my progress, really don't think I'm going to finish in time but I've already learnt alot doing this (particularly that I need to work on and plan my values more in my images). No idea what I'm going to do for the background, should have thought about it more as I was mapping out my character (another lesson learnt! heh).

P.S. ArtbyManon - the nebula looks fantastic, you've integrated it in there really nicely. It was clearly worth the effort.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reymus View Post
    ArtbyManon - I like the piece itself, but I think you need it needs a stronger tie to read Gaia than it is now. You might think about incorporating some rocky/planetary pieces on the path to coalescing to form the Earth.

Update, I'll eventually paint over most of the color layer.
    Cool, good feedback thanks Reymus - I'm considering (was considering) adding an earth in the centre that shes' creating.

My Website

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast