Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    I saw some versions of gaia akin to this one as I was looking just now, and wonder if I should still go with it... I was going to do a butt-kicking Gaia... Of course, my thought is that Gaia, being more or less a Titan, would also be more or less aloof, current environmental and political controversies notwithstanding. So despite my relative lack of displeasure at this current go, I may have to start all over again...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    mastertroglodyte - Eh, what of it? Reinvent the character in a new way! There's something to be said for following the 'rules' for Titans and what have you, such as if you're drawing for a game with a mythological plot that semi-follows the legend (God of War) but there are no restrictions barring the theme here at ChoW, so why not feel free to make what you want while you're here? Whatever you decide, I do enjoy your sketch very much.

popwilleatitse1f - Yeah, see where else you can go, considering the 'must show at least 3/4 of character' rule, and that right now it's just a face of a woman. Glad to see some crosshatching around here, though!

--

Still playing around with colors a lot right now.

Thanks
    Here's a bit of a color test for the angle I might be taking... maybe I'll make the skin a little more grey and add some industry looking things, like smog or concrete, stuff like that? I dunno...

Thanks
    staticpen: this is looking great. i like the colors

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    PMaz, Interesting design man i'm liking it but the proportions are hurting it, even as stylized as it is giving it a solid base will do it wonders.

Mephistoau, I didn't want to change it too much because i'm diggin the bottom heavy feel of her design, i think just watch your proportions and play around with foreshortening to really give the impression of volume, a good practice is to not rely on rendering alone give your image volume but push it as much as you can even from the initial sketch stage, that's IMO anyway. keep at it dude

staticpen, Nice layout!, i'll wait to see it progress before i crit

~J

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah man Rusty that looks awesome ^^ I wants your skilzzzz. Lol.
    Seriously though thanks man, i really appreciate the input. And i totally agree, i've gotta try to refrain from rendering before my sketch is tight :'( Thanks man, i'll see what i can pull off with this one, and hopefully improve for the next chow

Thanks
    Here is my start. Not sure if I am going to finish this but I'll try. Everyone is cooking up some nice ideas. I will try my best to crit this time. I suck as a person now, and feel bad that I didn't get around to critiqing everyones work last round. Gotta get some sleep now. Keep painting though everyone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rusty: really like looking at your paint overs, they help me out too. Typically I don't start with any sketches because when I go to color/render it always seems to come out too tight and I lose a lot of the texture and atmosphere. On the other hand when i just start with random brush strokes and build up the texture and atmosphere first its hard for me to consistently come up with a good design or drawing, sometimes I get lucky and I can find something to build off of but I don't want to rely solely on luck.

I decided to start over because i felt like i hit dead end with my last one. With this one, I started with loose brush strokes but then laid some lines over top to see if that helps keep the atmosphere and mood while still building a decent drawing underneath.

CHoW#205 :: Gaia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Rusty: really like looking at your paint overs, they help me out too. Typically I don't start with any sketches because when I go to color/render it always seems to come out too tight and I lose a lot of the texture and atmosphere. On the other hand when i just start with random brush strokes and build up the texture and atmosphere first its hard for me to consistently come up with a good design or drawing, sometimes I get lucky and I can find something to build off of but I don't want to rely solely on luck.

I decided to start over because i felt like i hit dead end with my last one. With this one, I started with loose brush strokes but then laid some lines over top to see if that helps keep the atmosphere and mood while still building a decent drawing underneath.

CHoW#205 :: Gaia
    Don't worry about being to tight with your renderings. I think it is more important to render tight first then go loose later on down the road. It is important that you learn to get things to visually read right. You have to learn this first. I also think that is one of your main mistakes as well, starting with texture brushes and trying to pull shapes out. Focus on the Basics first then explore, or you can explore along the way, however you want to do it. Foundational skills always comes first. You won't go and build a house without a foundation right? Think in terms of that. Texture and Atmosphere can be added after. Good Design and Composition is always most important.
    I always make sure of that first. Of course it is trial and error almost always or always.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    amazing topic! this is what i came up with... in a time far into the past and long forgoten now, gaia was present on earth connected to all the land through the roots of the great tree, and people would worship her and leave offerings at her feet asking for fertility for their lands.

Thanks
    It's a bit sad that a godlike beeing is chategorized "chow" to begin with, "Cow" would be a bit more interesting, I guess.

Thanks
    a bunch of awesome gaias developing here... would be nice to see them all walking on earth hehe

Thanks
    Staticpen Thanks for the insight. I fixed the problem, I think. Regarding the colors: I was trying to get a general idea for the pallete. I really like whee you're going with your image all the yummy details....
    basti0n The sketches look great! Keep on going. It's going to be awsome
    MasterTroglodyte Nice pose and facial expression!!

Rusty....you rock! Painting over artwork and giving so much information...wow

I tried to implement the corrections you suggested in the paintover to the best of my ability. I'm starting to like the lines. Maybe, just maybe, I'll keep it and work more stylized than usual Thanks a lot mate!

Hmm it's about time I did something with the background. I still don't know what to do with it....

Attachment 1018830

EDIT:

Some more work

Attachment 1018856

EDIT 2:

I'm done for today with this painting. I made some good progress, I think I'm gonna continue tomorrow

Attachment 1018906
    Last edited by LostFayth; July 14th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    staticpen - looking forward to see yours finished -i know thats gonna be LEGEN...wait ..wait...wait for it...DARY!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Oritey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's where this piece is at for now.. trying to give her an alien feel, based on the theory that life here may have come from somewhere else (although probably bacteria on meteors)

Rusty- really enjoyed seeing your crits
    Beelow- great so far!

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast