Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    1 hours worth of doodlin probably being a bit stereotypical with mine, nice challenging topic!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just a quick sketch, about 15 mins just trying to get something i liked.

Thanks
    Rusty Looking good. I like how she looks. Great expression on her face
    Howie Nice colors. I wonder where it'll go
    leckronium I like your sketch. Nice and subtle way to show mankind's effect on her environment
    MrWhiskey oh wow....
    BahadirBaris I'm totally digging the color pallete and sketch.
    Sillirien I think I like your second sketch more. It shows more of her personality and the pain she is in.
    Pixeltuner......that's just amazing. I really like where you are going

This is the sketch i finally came up with.

Attachment 1018158

I have to fix some stuff. I'm not happy with her face and feet. I don't have an idea what I am going to do with the background. I did, however, do a value and color rough to do some planning. I don't like the colors. I'm open to any suggestions

Attachment 1018159 Attachment 1018160
    Last edited by LostFayth; July 13th, 2010 at 11:31 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pixeltuner - Thats looking pretty sexy, the little people look like pop candy! I really like the textures, gives it a gritty and strong feel!
    K-mo -Cheers, but no Im from England, I was going to move there as a kid but it didnt happen for some reason.
    ArtByManon - Reminds me allot more of storm from x-men with the pose and everything. I think its just the feet on her that are looking kind of stiff, try it with different stances, a ballerina pose? Haha! It may be cool if you have her creating the earth from storm above he head maybe?

-
    Jumped into colour mode. Not pleased with the skin tones yet, also I'm on and off with the idea of adding a belly button. Also how ill colour the double helix hair, i duno! (Sorry these are so small aswell, maybe ill have to do some cropping?)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Tnx yous guys

Rusty: love it the the whole head is amazing
    Lost Fayth: like the idea of her playing with earth creating and stuff cool
    Veshkau: good sketch i would really like to see the finished one colud be really cool
    Manon: you too i've seen your other work so lets see how this one looks

all in all i'm really happy to see all these awesome ideas didn't know chow was so fun
    here i just slapped on some colors i realty don't have time to finish it now but hopefully it'll be done

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrWhiskey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    first time trying chow
    Attachment 1018198
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

|Deviantart

Thanks
    Dang, looking like storm from Xmen isn't good LOL - I'll have to fiddle about with it!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

Thanks
    Still early days, the design's going to change a bit, I just decided to try and practice rendering her body a little for now. I'm really bad at drawing women so hopefulyl I'll learn something from this

Thanks
    Awsome topic. Defenetly doing this one.

CHoW#205 :: Gaia

Thanks
    Damn man. Almost 4am. Sigh i gotta got to bed - anyway, spent about 1hr -1.5hrs putting down a little colour. Still just playing with it a bit. Any crits would be super... i've kinda gotta work on.. well, everything haha.

@Pixeltuner
    I don't even know why, but i love your progress - it's not usually my kinda style, but for some reason it just clicks with me. Actually reminds me of Androids work

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephistoau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mephistoau I think the thing that stands out is your generic grass brush. I suggest to make yourself some grass brush to make it look a little more natural. One or two vegetation brush can really up your arsenal anyway.(i should listen to what I'm saying and do it myself)

Cheer.

And here is my first tonal draft

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    LostFayth, Everything is actually there dude you just need to work on giving your lines a bit more finesse, i'm guessing you used reference because proportions for the most part are spot on especially with the head. At this point just take care with your lines and don't hurry them, i usually find a good start to an image makes things a lot easier on yourself later on.

IMO i also find Open Canvas a hell of a lot better for linework/sketching than Photoshop (once brush settings are adjusted to your own taste) Analog rotate feel is similar to Corel Painter another big plus with Open Canvas. Maybe look into giving that program a wizz, never know.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh Rusty! Thank you so much man!

Those lines are my pencil lines. I don't know what it is, but lately I can't draw nice lines with my pencils. Maybe it's because I drew a whole semester with pens at school. I kinda redid my lines fixing a few things here and there in Photoshop. I was planning to loose the lines completely and treat it as a painting. I might change that for this time and see what I can do using lines. It's always good to keep challenging yourself right? Thanks for your thoughts and the paintover!!

I wish I could use open canvas. I'm using an imac for everything I do and as far as I know, there is no open canvas for the mac system right? :o

Thanks
    Great ideas and artwork- very inspiring!
    This is the start of a concept

Thanks
    rusty - fun sketch! The facial structure is very emotive.

mephistoau - Much less subdued than your greyscale. Very cool!

lostfayth - it's a good idea, but right now the flowy thing looks like a skirt of some sort, but line over the legs suggests it's not. That, plus how it starts right at her waist where a skirt would, makes it a bit confusing to look at in my opinion. Try some different placements/shapes? Also, don't be afraid to get saturated with the colors. Everything is a bit muddy right now.

nonobot - great job getting vibrant colors form a greyscale underpainting! I agree with you about the skin tone, but you'll work that out. Bellybutton or not is an issue I had on my mind with my image, too, haha. It's hard to to decide given her origin, no?

mrwhiskey - I don't want to be a downer, but I think the value shifts you made in this color pass hurt the impact of the image. You had some amazing juxtaposition between darks and lights in the b&w sketch that got left behind in this recent wip. For instance, I think the dark forehead against the light bg arch along the top/right side works really well and brings your eye right to it - in your color piece, you've lightened the values on the head and darkened the top/right side of the bg. A lot of times what you don't paint sells the image, and (at least to my eyes) leaving the majority of the headpiece lost in shadow against the bright bg works well because it creates such an original silhouette. The values of the wooden piece on the left also got shallower, so it loses a lot of pop it once had. Here's a look at your original b&w sketch and your color version desaturated to reveal the value changes:
    With all that said, these are just my opinions, I think your design is totally rad, and the facial expression on your new version is fantastic.

incinerated - Welcome! Try to push those highlights and shadows, yeah? When you squint, the figure looks like it's toned with one flat value.

mr.gadbury - female form's looking solid to me! The near shoulder/arm is just a tad wonky, and the ribcage needs a bit more curve. Shoulders have spot highlights, and the highlight between the breasts goes down a little further to where the ribcage splits, and under the near breast. I did a paintover (and left the forearm a little elongated - I don't know if this was a purposeful stylistic choice of yours or not, but it looks cool to me, so I left it): CHoW#205 :: Gaia

pmaz - I don't know what to say except WILD. @__@ Dig the bird on top.

---

Made some changes to the composition. Also, someone said Gaia might be lost in the big creature, but the big thing/figure are both one and the same. Thanks to whomever said it, because it was a heads up that the idea wasn't translating to the viewer. Here I've directly connected the figure to the beast/tree/bug part in order to try and get that idea across better.
    Last edited by staticpen; July 13th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast