Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    MrWhiskey:something about it reminds me of pans labyrinth and i like it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Lots of awesome ideas here. I felt like having fun too, so I'm going to try this weeks ChoW!

Just a really rough thumbnail sketch so far. I'll probably have to change the legs due to posing issues. I'm aiming for a stylized and exaggerated design. I want the final to look as uplifting as possible since she is raising life from the earth (like the tree branch she sits on). I also wanted Gaia to kind of blend in with her natural environment, so I gave her a green skin tone. Not sure what I'll do with the costume design though. I'll probably give her something organic and elegant like a dress.

Attachment 1017817
    Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    Wow! MrWhiskey! Such movement! Such structure! Wow upon wow!!! (I'm reminded of an old mexican beer ad... "¡Puro Mexico! ¡Puro sabor! ¡Pura Tecate!") I'm just elated to have you on board this one, good sir.

Thanks
    crookedhorn - Thanks!

bluecat - no need to apologize - that's what a sketch it for! Keep it up.

k-mo - thanks! if you've got the ideas to cover the whole figure, by all means go for it! the last standing pose was stiff to me, though, so give a few more poses a try while it's still early?

mr.whiskey - as everyone is saying, your image is moving great within the canvas.

sillirien - the facial structure for the second one is so nice. great sketches!

karyl - I'd elongate the legs, you know? She seems rather squat right now.

veshkau - grats to the fiancé! your sketch is awfully timely considering recent events. way to plug world events into an illustration to make it relevant.

baris - good call with the colors. I have something similar in mind for mine.

Sorry to anyone I didn't cover. Not all of the images are loading up for me.

Thanks

Gaia

This is my first pass at cleaning up my rough. I still plan on changing some things but I'm too tired tonight. I might move her left leg so that it's going to the left side of the picture and I need to add more growth directly behind her. She will be looking up into the light. The idea was that pollution is harming her and destroying everything she creates.

Attachment 1017923

Thanks
    interesting stuff so far

trying to keep this loose and organic without being too vague

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/a...388/gaiav1.jpg

Edit: worked on it a little more

CHoW#205 :: Gaia
    Last edited by Howie; July 13th, 2010 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks
    @MrWhiskey
    Hell man that 2nd sketch owns the first. That looks mad.

@Ostrander
    Looking good dude, nice colour sketch

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephistoau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @janJager- Thanks! Lovin the sketch, but it does look a little bit like a queen at the moment. I'm excited to see how you might subtly make her seem...inhuman

@Ostrander- Really neat sketches! Where are you going with the hair? it seems to be the focal point of the image at the moment.

@K-Mo- Love the pose and color choices. She definitely seem's to have a dark side which is great. I like the first image a lot better at the moment but i also don't see why you couldn't play with it and "punk it up" so to say.

@pixeltuner- This is a great image! really dark... but great. At the moment the background textures seem a little intense and distracting, but i love the texture you used on her legs and the ground at the bottom of the image.

@mr.whiskey- Fantastic movement, and i love the pose. The creature-esqe take is really beautifully done as well.

@Staticpen- Awesome illustration going on here, and i love your linework. I have trouble getting that natural pencil look in photoshop. My only concern is that Gaia herself may become a secondary focus of the image.

Here's my update. getting a little to focused on her face, but i did start thinking about the background.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auspiciouspanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    K-mo: Thx! I think I'm gonna need some ref for that arm to see how such a pose really works
    auspiciouspanda: Yeah, I started this image from a lot of texture so I need to refine that into a less flat looking mess
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Mo View Post
    totally unsure which way to head with this.. i keep changing my mind. i started with this very ethereal and cosmic looking character, planning to have her sort of growing out of the earth and spawning all sort of creatures from her raised hand. i kinda liked where it was going but it just didn't feel 'me'. so then i tried an alternative take on it, where gaia is represented by a punky, urban looking girl who has tattoos covering every inch of her body. i plan to spend a lot of time detailing the tattoos and making them beautiful and epic. i almost like this idea better but i just can't decide! would love to know which one people prefer......
    Personally I love the feel of the first one - just the pose and the colours etc.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

Thanks
    I'm loving these images - Pixeltuner, very dark, i like it.
    Also as everyone is saying, mr. whiskey... awesome. and yes, very pans labyrinth feel to it!

I'm going to have to join in on this i think - I've been thinking on doing a Gaia/mother earth image myself so I should use this as a sign to say I should go ahead and do it!

My Website

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtByManon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    quick sketch from last night. might try sumthing else.
    seeing awesome work from all. will crit later

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 706 Posts
    Loving this topic a lot! will see if I can get something done within the time limits.. lots of stuff going on this week.
    reminds me of a painting I did of Gaia last year
    CHoW#205 :: Gaia

Thanks
    My idea is that she has a thundercloud for hair (starting with volcanic eruption perhaps, maybe she's made of lava, not sure yet) and the forks of lightning come down to her palms... pure raw mother nature.

Saleem, it looks like we have a similar vision!! Just realised after i posted!

Not sure about her stance - I think she needs to be more rooted - I ended up with a bit of a tornado of hair too... any crits would be a great help! Not sure that the pose is just a little boring right now - or i shoudl be doing it from a different angle perhaps?

My Website

Thanks
    Awesome works so far people!
    Just worked the pose out on mine and I'm beginning to flesh it out, thinking of adding like water orbs orbiting around here with roots/greenery coming up from the ground i dunno, just experimenting for now

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast