Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Thanks
    Update

not really happy with the background and much more rendering to do...

Attachment 1021110

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A few updates here and there... hopefully done by tonight

Thanks
    Hello again friends! I was far from my computer about couple of days, so I tried to draw rally fast this time)
    staticpen, thank you for your comment! First I tried to do something with my second sketch but after 3rd attempt I surrendered)
    I had one idea - as you can see I tried to draw her belly like it's an Earth.
    CHoW#205 :: Gaia
    First I thought that it's enought, but now I see that I must to do something with background(and very quickly))! It's my blind side...
    Sketchbook
    I'm mostly self-taught, please if you have free minute leave some crits for me!

Thanks
    Awesome work, guys! Really pushing these concepts well.

Thanks
    Here's what I have so far. I may not finish in time, again.

Thanks
    Probably last update before the finals.

Thanks

You go, Gaia

Last minute change, so I may not get it done... I absolutely came to hate what I was doing... It got ahead of me... hehe
    This is fun to me but I will likely not get it done before tomorrow!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

starting over, now with shiny new reference

except, you can't see it, because I used myself and altered it the proportions... not gonna post a photo hahahaha!

anyway!

sketchy.

the hand and the earth look a little funny, but otherwise I am pretty happy with the rough so far.

dunno if i'll finish, but i'll try.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    except, you can't see it, because I used myself and altered it the proportions... not gonna post a photo hahahaha!

anyway!

sketchy.

the hand and the earth look a little funny, but otherwise I am pretty happy with the rough so far.

dunno if i'll finish, but i'll try.
    Many times I've wished that I could use myself for reference with just a few alterations! Consider yourself lucky!

Just a word on general placement... I think if you're going to have your character facing left you want a little more "lead" room; that is, I think you should move the whole thing a little to the right on your 'canvas.' Otherwise, way to take initiative! I think if I need to draw a monster I'll follow your lead and use myself as ref!

Thanks
    bluecat-Try going greyscale and block in shapes. Or you can try rusty's way and do linework. Whatever works. Spend the most time in the beginning and make sure you have a solid drawing or that you have blocked in shapes and have correct porportions, good composition and design. Main thing Compo and Design. I stress that alot, especially if you are going with a more Illustrative approach, as I have done. If it is straight up and down pose, just design.

MasterTroglodyte- Good drawing and good mood. Getting those values in the right place is important. You don't want to loose quality of your Illustration and/or design because you have not placed value in right places. Get those hands right, it helps lend character to your character. Pull ref if you have to. Make it as important as face. Good drawing though. Keep painting.

Ruri- Not sure if you are going with a stylized look, but you can look into pulling ref as well to get some of that anatomy corrected. Character seems a bit stiff as well. Keep it up though and keep painting.

jrbarker- Idea is cool, but I think correct value placement and getting those hands right would help better the painting. Pull reference or use your own hands, light it and see where those values fall on your hand. I'd do a paintover, but I am strapped for time to finish mine. Keep painting and definitely brush up on painting and drawing hands. Every bit of detail counts in a painting. You don't excellent painted head and poor painted hands or the other way around or everything else. Mistakes can take the quality of an painting/drawing down.

Sillirien- Not a bad idea, just gotta get better at blocking in shapes. Making adjustments in the beginning to make sure the beginning is correct. Keep it simple in the beginning. Make sure things are correct. Then cut in detail as you move along in your painting. If you don't know pull ref. You can definitely see that the face is off with the features of the face. Nose and lips should be more to the right. Eye to the right should be behind the bridge of the nose. You wouldn't see it whole as you have it painted. Keep painting though. Mistakes are bound to happen. Catch them and adjust. Good luck.

PaperJester- Stylized is okay to do. But, I do think that you're character is a bit to masculine side, not sure if you wanted to go that direction. Torso can be smooth out a bit and ribcage seems a bit off. Dark area between the brest looks like chest hair. Probably want to lighten that area up. Be careful and understand angles on women give more of a masculine look as well. Women are more curvier than men. I think you can implement that to help lend a more feminine look. Hope this helps you. Keep it up.

InFlame- Don't get down on yourself. Just gotta recognize your mistakes and move to the next painting. Really look at how stuff behaves in life. Look at paintings and look at pics. Takes some if you have to. Paint/Draw from life as well. It helps. You have to buckle down though, and really see what you are drawing. Don't draw what you think you see, draw what is there. Good luck and definitely do not get discouraged. I was there before. I myself am still trying to grow. This road doesn't end. It only ends when you say it ends.

Wilko- It's always going to be a lesson. Arms to the side really doesn't help with interest to the piece. I think you could have explored more on the design end as well. Just gotta find inspiration from all sources. I am not sure what you are capable of, but do try to push yourself a bit to come up with something interesting with a bit of story. Owl head and antlers are cool base to go off of. Maybe add some garnmets of animal hide to your character. Potion bottle and some pouches. Maybe a pouch with magical dust of some sort. Whatever is going to make the design much more interesting. Good luck with finishing.

Reymus- Watch the porportion of your head or face. It's a bit small compared to the rest of the body. If her hair is going to be suspended the way it is you should indicate that something is holding her hair that way. Gravity would pull her hair down. Knees seem weird as well. You might want take another stab at that. You can also maybe throw some tats on her as well, to give some interest. Other than that everything else seems good.

xLouisax- Values seem a bit dark and lighting off pretty much everywhere. Pull ref to help get those values in the right areas. Pose seems interesting. Hope to see you finish. good luck.

ArtByManon- Interesting take on the topic. You could definitely add some more contrast to the focal point, her face and the area surronding her face. It would really help bring her out more. Good painting and good luck finishing.

Beelow- You suck! Pick another career.

reginanegra-You have a good understanding of mood. Just gotta get the lighting down. Hitting the tree with some rim lighting on the bottom would help give the tree some form. Straight black flattens the trees. Try varying your edges as well. Soft to hard edges really help bring focus to an image. good luck.

Soupandbutter- I like this entry a lot. Just gotta push your values thats about it. Great painting.

Lalilulelo- Good to see you are still around. How have you been? As far as the paints, Good Design, and Idea. Values seems to be consistent throughout whole character. Less black and more midtones to light would help out. Keep at it Lali.

Afekay- Really nice interesting shapes. Interested to how this one will turn out, definitely liking what I am seeing.

Axazel-Staticpen pretty much told you the same thing I would have told you. Keep painting. Waiting to see the finished.

Mephistoau- I do believe that you may have went a bit dark with your values. The violet color that you've added only seems to be on the chick. I think you could actually move some of that value into the background. Good painting though.

To be continued...need a break.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks for the advice! unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to finish in time, but I'll keep that in mind for next week.

Thanks
    Well, I slapped some color on 'er, and couldn't get much farther than that... Though this feels much better than my original take...

I'll do better next time 'round, eh?

Thanks
    dont think I'll have time to finish, very late start and too many things to fix before I go on. I'll keep working on it after the contest though, except for her ugly face (which is going to get more love) I think it has potential

Thanks
    good luck to everyone! i dont see mine getting finished by the deadline(work on a sunday!?!?!) but i am very excited to see what everyone comes up with

Thanks
    i think i barely made the deadline
    unhappy with everything about this but i have to rush off to work now!

good luck everyone! some great entries this round!
    happy to participate my first CHOW!

Attachment 1021800
    Attachment 1021796

Thanks
    Here's my entry to this weeks CHOW. Wouldnt mind some crits and comments.

Cool stuff this week, keep it up peeps.

Thanks
    Well I obviously didn't read the briefing close enough because I thought the deadline was midnight (hasn't it always been?) Here's mine.
    This sucks.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8