Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    Wanted to go more dynamic - trying to get away from using photo ref and developing more of my own style and trying not to go too much down the 'realism' route.

What dya guys reck?
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtByManon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i reckon thats one dynamic pose
    reference is great for lighting and landmarks on the body.

i think youll do great with this one

Thanks
    Crookedhorn - Good to know somebody braved Painter again! My crit would just be a rehashed tip Andrew Jones said (I think). When creating the figure in that style don't make the shapes or figure subservient to one or the other. So I suppose to make sure that they 'mesh' together in harmony.

JanJager - Love her! But she seems quite small in comparison to her carriers (then again they could be mud/earth golems :p)

Staticpen - Thanks for the bg advice, I'll use it! Yours is looking great so far!

Playing with a color scheme.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First CotW. Don't know if I'll be going ahead with it or not yet. (I'm so intimidated >>)

Thanks
    Here is what i'm working on,
    my process on this one has been (seemed) extremely disorganized, the concept has developed with the image. Lots of cleaning to do.
    (I'm not sure if it is currently within the guidelines of CHOW at this point?)
    Gaia moves by having successive clusters of arms sprout out of the ground to pass her along, in the next iteration of the image this will be included. I may make a small supplemental "walk" gif to illustrate this.
    Sorry for the disorganized post, any C&C greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Axazel - I dig your image! Your sketch was excellent, but a few things got out of perspective when you painted over it.
    -You don't quite see that much of the skull from this angle, the ear drops a bit, and the jaw line opens up a little bit more.
    -The arm on the right was a little low for how she's raising it. Also, the shoulders are closer to the skull when we do this. Raise your arms in the mirror and check it out!
    -From the base of the neck you can draw 45' degree lines over the ribcage to find the nipples. You had them placed straight forward in your drawing.
    -You don't need to add that much shadow on the belly in this kind of light. A much softer transition adds a lot of grace, too, I think.
    -Really good pose, but the front knee was pointed a little bit in the wrong direction.
    -This is fairly minor stuff, though. Keep up the good work!

CHoW#205 :: Gaia

Thanks all, and keep going!

Thanks
    Rarebit That is looking super sweet. Absolutely love how much your pushing your design ideas way beyond the norm. I think the only thing would be to get a good sense of scale going, make sure you can tell whether its really big or just normal size. Im guessing its gonna be super huge.

Loving all the work so far
    Its my first --OW for a while (probably years), so i thought id post up some WIPs in here instead of my SB.

Going for the old lady approach - wanders the forests nuturing the plants. Going for a bit of a primordial look to the plants and lights. Get an amoebic quality to it. It being Life and all.

Crits and thoughts are super appreciated as always
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Some great stuff goin on!

My final (more or less) + step by step process. On the third to last frame I extended the canvas vertically, but the animation couldn't deal with that.

Oh, and when does the finals thread open? I'm goin on vacation on sat...
    Last edited by Goog; July 15th, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    This seems to bee a great round to. Plenty of grate entries.
    Thanks for the crit
    Reymus I like yours too. Reminds me of a goddess looking down thoughtfully. Perhaps you can add some reflections underneath her.
    Looking forward to see you colouring the background. Personal I think its easier for me to paint the skin tones when I have the background colours.
    Here is what have so far. My first thought was an ordinary women warshiped as Gaia in early mankind but I am not sure where it end, wont probably not bee able to finish sins I'm going for holiday in a few hours. But will try to come back with some crits. The golems crying her is a cool idea.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reymus::thank you, yeah ive been playing around with the pattern chalk brush(so much fun) and i was playing around with the figure in multiple poses. it was 5am and i figured id have another go at it after work tonight. i was thinking of embedding her with in the chaos but i wanna make sure i hit the 3/4 mark. ill put what you said to good use

you have some great color in the face of your figure. i would check out some ref. from the knees of your figure(knees are hard!). also remember just because its in shadow doesnt mean there isnt any detail. her torso will have some beautiful curves

your elbow looks great!

Thanks
    phatandy - Awesome illustrated style! I love it. Your color palette is right up my alley, too. So cool. Welcome! Happy to have you around.

Goog - That's fantastic! I love the lighting and composition. Great stuff.

JanJager - Ah, man, this is coming out to be so genuine. I love it.

--

Gonna let this sit for the night and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Goog... yours is SICK!! I heart I heart!

Here is more of my digital tomfoolery. I am of the suck, but all that matters is that I am learning so many things. Question. Should I bring the fire/arm down a little?

Thanks

more wip!

really, really rough color... too bright right now.

bit better.

rough values.. the proportions turned out to be a tad wonky, so i'm in the middle of fixing that up.

face. still pretty rough. the eye on the left is way too far over, i think..

Thanks
    goldilockz::maybe not down but possibly put more of a bend in it or really give it an exaggerated stretch. all the others arms have nice angles to them. you can get some nice duel lighting from the orange on one side and possibly green from the earth on the other.
    keep up the good work
    HA! tomfoolery

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CrookedHorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dawnusllaw - Keep up the work. Wonderful horns.

Bluecat - I like your colors up to this point. The only thing I see, is that your lines are a bit thick and overwhelm your wonderful color!! If your are going in a darker direction, then I'm sure they will be eaten up no problem.

Ajaxplaysdice - Don't be intimidated~ Work hard to be your best! Your horns are well proportioned and nice. The left hand on the figure (on our right side) looks as though it's not physically possible, hehe. So just check the physicality and you'll be golden!

Rarebit - You're in the guidelines. Seeing it in motion would be great.

Staticpen
    - Thanks for the critique! Yeah, things did get a bit off from my reference, heh.. I didn't want to change the pose though. Don't give up on me! haha. I went back to my photo. I really like the concept of your piece. It will be interesting to see how your colors will develop.

Here's where I am at this point:

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast