Some Advice Needed Please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Some Advice Needed Please

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some Advice Needed Please

Hi I've been scratching my head for a while now trying to work out what pc I need to get. I've decided to go with dell because in the past they have seemed to make reliable machines (Anyone have any thoughts on this?).

I want it for web design and photoshop work but only really at web resolutions. I'll also have anti virus etc running as well. This is the one i'm considering getting. Its an all in one because I don't have much space.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/busi...bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

Any advice on how well it will do what I need or even if it will do it at all would be apprieciated.

I'm kind of stuck because its been a while since I last bought a computer and everything's changed.

Also they offer a windows 7 to windows xp downgrade option. Is that a good idea? Whats anyones experience of windows 7?

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am still in favor of DIY machines because to get what I need of them I don't like the components that come with pre-built machines. However, Dells are reliable as an overall user computer experience like "just the average joe". That Duo core is mainly good for lots of multitasking and average amounts of illustrating, but you're going to hit a very limited upgrade path. For me 2 gbs is a minimum for a LAPTOP, not a Desktop to run things like Photoshop on.

If you're a multitasker like me, you want to have more RAM because of programs like Firefox while running an illustration program because often times you'll find yourself doing both a lot if you're grabbing materials and references.

I advise looking into building your own quad core and at least a mobo that can take 16gb of ram (which usually is just 4 slots) That doesn't mean you need all that RAM once. You can just fill it with a 2gb stick or 2x2 gbs (for a total of 4gb) I just believe that give you more of an upgrade path, specially with 64bit.

While at this time most illustration programs don't take advantage of multiple cores, I think you should think about at least getting a quad and worry about duo core processors for laptops.

As for downgrading to XP, that seems to be a waste since Windows7 runs better than XP and it's definitely not the terribleness that is Vista.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your reply Arshes Nei. I've looked into building my own but I don't really have the time or skills.

I'm finding it difficult because I bought a computer for xp and it seems this system would be fine for photoshop on that but windows 7 takes more power.

Quad cores look good but I also have a limited budget so I only want enough to do the job really.

You say it runs better than xp? is this in general or only on a good processor and 4 gig system. I suppose the problem is do I need a more powerful system to compensate for windows 7 power draw?

I also like the all in one thing because I am very limited on space but I see what you mean about upgrade paths.

Thanks again

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
    Thanks for your reply Arshes Nei. I've looked into building my own but I don't really have the time or skills.
    I never owned a desktop in over 7 years till I built one late last year by myself. It doesn't take any real skill. You just have to do a bit of research.

As far as budget, don't go for just what you can afford, but what will last and you'll be ok with for at least 3 years.

There are some things I don't like about Windows 7 but there are things that drive me crazy about XP too. I just seem to have less problems with 7 than XP, even though I'm typing to you on an XP machine. I'm just used to my laptop even though I have a desktop and other devices.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.