Thanks

Grme and Gurney for the win - Knight to the Lions

I just caught the link to this article from Dorian.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...s-critics.html

The brilliant quotes and insightful comments from readers, clearly demonstrate that Grme would have mopped the floor with the LA Times and their know-nothing art critics.

Attachment 1015706

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jasonwclark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    99 paintings by Jean Leon-Gerome within three hours of me? I need to go see them.

Thanks
    “I cannot but esteem him as one of the masters and most distinguished men of his age.”
    -J Alden Weir

He's refering to his technical knowledge here not artistry, check "The life and letters of J Alden Weir". All those quotes in that link refer to his teaching skill and not his artwork. That being said the criticisms in that LA times article were pretty cheap. Also I didn't know that Peter Brady grew up to become an art critic.

Thanks
    Well whatever people thought about his artistry then or now, it's still weak when he gets slammed in the papers because someone wasn't feelin' prince of persia. Calling Knight a know-nothing was probably a little too harsh there - feeling a little fiery. Apologies, I guess, to the critic for that dig. If nothing else, at least some of the images are being posted and attention is going to the show.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Grme and Gurney for the win - Knight to the Lions

That image has his critics portraits. That says it all right there.

Jason

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I recognize that image above (it's phenomenal) but I do not know this artist by name. I'll definitely have to explore his work!

Thanks
    Is populist the word for when something you dislike is popular, like overrated?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    I recognize that image above (it's phenomenal) but I do not know this artist by name. I'll definitely have to explore his work!
    read thread title. I will give you a hint. There are no dinosaurs in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouMeng View Post
    Is populist the word for when something you dislike is popular, like overrated?
    Main Entry: populist
    Pronunciation: \ˈp-pyə-list\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin populus the people
    Date: 1892

1 : a member of a political party claiming to represent the common people; especially often capitalized : a member of a United States political party formed in 1891 primarily to represent agrarian interests and to advocate the free coinage of silver and government control of monopolies
    2 : a believer in the rights, wisdom, or virtues of the common people

Main Entry: elitism
    Pronunciation: \ā-ˈlē-ˌti-zəm, i-, ē-\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1947

1 : leadership or rule by an elite
    2 : the selectivity of the elite; especially : snobbery <elitism in choosing new members>
    3 : consciousness of being or belonging to an elite

elitist \-ˈlē-tist\ noun or adjective

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    What if Gerome had painted dinosaurs?

What if Bouguereau had painted dinosaurs?

I'm not sure how the world would look, but I'm confident it would be a lot better.

Thanks
    Gerome could be an aggressive critic too, read some of the stuff he wrote about the impressionists: garbage, degenerate anarchists. "The Institute cannot remain still before such a scandal ... How can the government dare welcome such a collection of inanities into a museum? Why, have you seen the collection? The state the ward of such junk! The Luxembourg Museum is a school. What lessons are our young artists going to receive there from now on? They'll all start to do Impressionism! Ah! these people believe they are painting nature, nature so admirable in all its manifestations! What pretension! Nature is not for them! This Monet, do you remember his cathedrals? And that man used to know how to paint! Yes, I've seen good things by him, but now!" It's a trickier situation than it at first appears.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Gerome could be an aggressive critic too, read some of the stuff he wrote about the impressionists: garbage, degenerate anarchists. "The Institute cannot remain still before such a scandal ... How can the government dare welcome such a collection of inanities into a museum? Why, have you seen the collection? The state the ward of such junk! The Luxembourg Museum is a school. What lessons are our young artists going to receive there from now on? They'll all start to do Impressionism! Ah! these people believe they are painting nature, nature so admirable in all its manifestations! What pretension! Nature is not for them! This Monet, do you remember his cathedrals? And that man used to know how to paint! Yes, I've seen good things by him, but now!" It's a trickier situation than it at first appears.
    I like him already.

Thanks
    Let me join the insulting team......Delacroix had somewhat similar(exotic) themes in his painting endeavors and created true magic, while Gerome remained illusionist by comparison.Just my snobbish opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    The impressionists claimed they were capturing some scientific truth about how reality looks. This is obviously silly. They just made more decorative guesses.

Thus, giving the impressionists the benefit of the doubt in regard to their sanity, they must have been pretending it was true in order to promote their work in an age when science's star was on the rise.

It is okay to both love the work of Monet, and to consider him pretentious.

With time, great men become heroes, heroes become mythic, and myths become religions. And what the Gods of a religion say becomes incontrovertible.

To that I say, meh.
    Last edited by kev ferrara; July 10th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    That image has his critics portraits. That says it all right there.
    Jason
    It is a magnificent piece of work. I don't really get why, when people like one kind of art, they feel obliged to denigrate everything else. It has become very popular in modern art circles to dismiss the French academics as purveyors of kitsch, while holding the impressionists up as the true heroes. I can't imagine why it is not possible to enjoy both on their own terms.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian View Post
    What if Gerome had painted dinosaurs?

What if Bouguereau had painted dinosaurs?

I'm not sure how the world would look, but I'm confident it would be a lot better.
    They probably would have gotten their dinosaurs all wrong, because relatively little was known about dinosaurs at the time, and reconstructions were often miles off. There were some very accomplished wildlife artists at the time though, and I suppose they are the precursors not only of modern wildlife artists, but also of modern dinosaur art.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brianvds View Post
    There were some very accomplished wildlife artists at the time though, and I suppose they are the precursors not only of modern wildlife artists, but also of modern dinosaur art.
    That sentence makes me feel funny. Positive funny. I have no idea why.

Thanks
    Gerome was clearly pissed at the impressionists for passing off color studies as final works of art and letting go of their drawing. Color is a valid life long study though. I do understand that painting at the time was judged based on a very serious level of refinement and to take field studies and push them off as final when they were just one stage of painting was irritating to the artists who were doing works like that as the precursors to their final pieces.

We owe a ton to the impressionists and that kind of painting can literally change the way one sees the world. We owe a lot to Gerome as his teachings are part of the reason that the academic tradition still survives today.

I just wish the art snobs would cut with the snobbery. It is pointless. Like that old religious parable where the five blind men are all trying to describe an elephant by touching a different part of it's body...

Dang though...I am tempted to make a trip to LA just for that show. What a huge huge opportunity. Gotta see when it comes down...muuuust go.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brianvds View Post
    It is a magnificent piece of work. I don't really get why, when people like one kind of art, they feel obliged to denigrate everything else. It has become very popular in modern art circles to dismiss the French academics as purveyors of kitsch, while holding the impressionists up as the true heroes. I can't imagine why it is not possible to enjoy both on their own terms.
    That's people.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    That sentence makes me feel funny. Positive funny. I have no idea why.
    Well, feel free to have a good laugh at it then. :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Gerome was clearly pissed at the impressionists for passing off color studies as final works of art and letting go of their drawing. Color is a valid life long study though. I do understand that painting at the time was judged based on a very serious level of refinement and to take field studies and push them off as final when they were just one stage of painting was irritating to the artists who were doing works like that as the precursors to their final pieces.
    Indeed, but of course, the impressionists and the academics had two different goals with their art, and thus their attempts to judge each other's art by the standards of their own was a pointless exercise. One might as well compare Gerome unfavourably to Giotto because his work isn't Christian enough. Or whatever.

Seems to me there is room in this world for many different styles and techniques. Sometimes an unfinished sketch can look somehow more alive than a highly refined work. But that is a personal aesthetic judgment, and whether any one individual agrees with it or not will be a personal, subjective thing.

We owe a ton to the impressionists and that kind of painting can literally change the way one sees the world. We owe a lot to Gerome as his teachings are part of the reason that the academic tradition still survives today.
    Yup. Imagine art today had the uber-modernists had it their way and the academic tradition had disappeared altogether. At the same time, I am also very glad we had blokes like Picasso doing their thing. It led to a very great diversification of art, which seems to me to have been a good thing, even though it inevitably also led to a lot of crap getting passed off as high art.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to brianvds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What impressionism is changes based on who's giving the explanation. Monet was painting his sensations of light, dematerialized reality, color with no object, you can't analyse the planes of his paintings like in that Gerome painting of the decapitated critics. This isn't the same as the color effects Leonardo wrote about because with him the color was always tied to the object. He wasn't pretending, I can't remember if it was in a journal entry of his, or if it was recorded by a witness, but he dispared when his wife died and looking at her he couldn't stop seeing her as a collection of color patches. Color with no object has no story and no drama.
    Gerome was ideologically opposed to what the impressionists artwork embodied. Why would he get mad at them for doing things the academics were already doing. "passing off color studies as final works of art... irritating to the artists who were doing works like that as the precursors to their final pieces." That Gerome painting is all in one color, that doesn't occur in nature that occurs in color formulas designed to get effects the impressionists weren't interested in. It's clear that the academics weren't doing studies like them otherwise someone like Bastien Lepage(materialized impressionism, story and drama) should have appeared before Bastien Lepage, also the impressionist should have easily found the teachings they were looking for in the customary schools.
    Like others have said, the more ingredients that go into a work of art the more powerful it becomes. The only way to really move on is to learn the history, dig passed the propaganda on both sides, take what works and include whatever there is that they both ignored. Impressionism taken to it's extreme is dehumanized abstract art, in my opinion an irritating object which doesn't justify it's own existence, my hypothesis is that's why there are so many modern art manifestos.

Thanks
    Whoever lives nearby, and hasn't already been, REALLY needs to go and see this show...

No reproductions do this man justice. At all. I honestly never really liked his work all that much seeing it online in the past, but seeing it in person changed my whole perception of what can be done with paint, I was practically speechless looking at some of them.

The getty has a bouguereau hanging up, an alma tadema, a sargent, and countless other masterpieces, but the very best stuff on display right now, in my opinion, is probably in the Gerome rooms (although, the rembrandts are pretty spectacular too )

Quote Originally Posted by armando
    That Gerome painting is all in one color, that doesn't occur in nature that occurs in color formulas designed to get effects the impressionists weren't interested in.
    If you only see one colour in the painting that Jason posted, then you aren't looking hard enough.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Crush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Reality is brown. Haven't you been playing video games lately?

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio