I just discovered recently that I've been pronouncing the names of many of the great artists of the past wrongly, so I'm very curious to know how to pronounce them:
1) Rembrandt Van Rijn : I always thought it's said as "Rem-Buran" (with the "buran" part pronounced very fast), but after hearing my teacher said it as "Rom-brond", I realized I was so wrong. How do you say "Van Rijn"? "Van" as in "van" (the vehicle), and "Rijn" as in "Rhine"?
2) Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres : I just realized too that "Ingres" is not "In-Gres", but "On-Gray"? It was totally shocking to me. Here is my hero but I've been saying the name wrong all along.
The full name is pronounced as "John Augoose Dominik On-Gray"?
It seems that "Jean" is sometimes said as "Jeen" and sometimes as "John".
3) Eugene Delacroix : I always said "Delacroix" as "Dee-la-croyx", but it's pronounced "Der-la-craw"?
4) Velasquez : How do you pronounce this? "Ver-las-key"?
5) Seurat : As in "See-you-rart"?
6) Edgar Degas : As in "Ed-gar Der-gas"?
Pls post any other artist names that is difficult or confusing for non-European folks like me so that we can all learn.