Sketchbook: Learning to draw - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Learning to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've started making notes for econs. The good part is that I understand how things fit together 99% of the time. The bad news is there's so much to remember...we're being tested on all of last year's material in addition to the new topics covered so far.

For instance:

"Monetary policy is a deliberate attempt by the central bank to regulate money supply or manipulate the rate of interest to influence the level of economic activity, so as to achieve economic and social objectives such as maintaining full employment, curbing inflation, attaining economic growth and a satisfactory balance of payments position."

What a mouthful!

===

I discovered something called Harmony today. Apparently I am very late to the party. Anyway, here's what 5 minutes of doodling got me:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    from life. Didn't capture the face correctly.

upon learning that I can't "do" realistic my teacher suggested I explore some stylization. It's not going very well. And examiners seem to hate any manga-influenced thing so I can't go back to where I was before.

Last edited by krysjez; March 11th, 2011 at 05:40 AM.
    Sketchbook

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

3. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    testing out ArtRage

Sketchbook

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff recently (since I last visited). I would say one thing to you though, and that is don't let anyone tell you that you can or can't do something in your art. Just go with what feels natural and try not to overthink things. It is work learning to draw/paint in a naturalistic way as an important foundation before you develop more stylised work. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll be there in no time.

Keep it up!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice anatomy studies and painting exercises!
    You make a good improvement
    Keep up the nice work!
    Reply?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post 185 looks brilliant! and I see you've discovered harmony. If you're anything like me it'll end up being one of the many excuses to procrastinate from homework. xD
    ANyways, you've done some good work since I last checked, keep it up!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyya Krysjez! I just read through your sketchbook and I like it a lot!
    you have some really good stuff here, and you really are learning more quickly!

I think that your teacher is wrong about you not being able to "'do' realistic"
    That is just silly, the proof is on here that your are learning to do that well!

But if that is not good enough, I would suggest that if you try to develop your stylization I would love to see you do more work like this one!
    -->
    I like this drawing a whole lot, and I think that it is far enough from manga that those style snobs that put that sort of stuff down wouldn't be able to say anything. I think that if you did want to pursue a style like this, then it would be good to look at some drawings by Wesley Burton, he is my hero. He is WesBurt on here...

I really don't understand all of this hating on manga style, especially because it fueled a lot of my early endeavors to get better at drawing.
    I guess our generation of manga/anime art fans will just need to rise up
    and show these people that we will be great artist no matter what they think about how we started! =)

You are doing very well, you have good work and a good style! Keep it up!

Sorry for the long post, hope I said something useful =P

P.S. Thank you very much for your post on my sketchbook, I hope to see you there again!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyskill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh hello! thankyou for your lovely message, i am very grateful
    i have to say im pretty jawdropped about the levelling up going on here, last time i check in was around, umm... post number 154
    since then youve been smashing it, and while studying at the same time..impressive. maths, shudder, boy i hated maths... its only later ive come to see its elegance and power
    dont worry about getting into uni, based on this youll be completely fine!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's more than one way to stylise a picture. Reducing the tones to 3 is one and a lot harder than you'd think to do well.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, everyone, for your kind words and advice.

Black Spot Cutting tones is difficult! I've always admired comic-book artists for their ability to describe forms so well with just black, white and a bit of hatching here and there.
    Velocity Kendall Not sure I've been levelling up...gaining a bit of experience maybe but just a tiny bit. But thank you
    greyskill Yes that was a very useful post. I like that one a lot too actually! Just not sure how I could bring that look consistently into color + digital. When I paint over pencils that look fine they end up with a really weird 2.5D look.
    Naidy, Sadako
    ThomasM I hope I can "get there" by the end of March...or I won't be able to submit my examination piece in time

===

My wrist has been feeling a bit tight for a week and a half now. Hope it's not a sign of RSI. Read about 20 pages of Econs notes until I couldn't take it anymore, then went to learn Passepied. Staccato arpeggios are difficult...but it's fun to play.

===

1) Break from Econs - trying oil again. I used it too much like watercolor, I think. Still confused about thinner and mediums. I managed to get some of the luminosity at first with a thin wash (glaze?? added a lot of thinner anyway) of yellow on the face on the right, but it didn't work out when I covered it with other orange mixes. Thick opaque paint feels really good though.
    2) Photo of what I was trying to paint. The light was pretty, which was what got me to try.
    3) Random girl (done about two weeks ago)

Last edited by krysjez; March 19th, 2011 at 01:38 AM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny how long 10 days can be.

been doing some coursework related stuff mostly past few days, so nothing much but an older pic of my cross-eyed Hobbit on LOTRO done in ArtRage.

math paper back tomorrow. please let me have passed

Sketchbook

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you managed to pass that maths exam dude. I have no crits for you really, although you seem to have picked a hard still-life to start with, especially in oils where it can be difficult to achieve that vibrancy seen in the reference. Obviously it is better to work from life, but also try to choose very simple objects. As you have seen from my sb (thanks for leaving a commment btw) I am starting them myself and recently I have focused only on individual or simple compositions. This leaves you with the task of colour picking, which is hard in itself without all the other factors.

I would suggest a piece of fruit, or a relatively simply-outlined object but of course its up to you.

Keep on working hard and I'll be back for more!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't get my tablet (Graphire4) to play nice with the Windows 7 computer at school. I suspect Win7's Tablet PC features are overriding Photoshop pressure sensitivity.

Insanely restrictive user account controls by the IT department mean I'm stuck with a mouse for now I do have a scanner in school though...

===

I lost my sketchbook...again...

===

Doodled on the back of someone else's worksheet and quickly colored. Sorry I went back to manga style. Skin colors may be a bit iffy (too yellow) because I hadn't calibrated the school monitor yet then.

And yes I've discovered Doctor Who! Matt Smith squee and god I love Karen Gillian's hair.

Last edited by krysjez; April 4th, 2011 at 05:58 AM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My internet is being really slow today. And is the CA attachment server down? this is somewhat annoying considering how we just upgraded our plan to a 6mbps connection.

===
    She doesn't have my face, but she's wearing my clothes...
    I'm quite pleased with how the shirt turned out. photoshop, from photo, messed with the face for school purposes. Basically I made her eyes bigger and slightly tilted her face towards the camera. The shading feels weird though
    ===

Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi! got my Project Work (nasty local subject where you have to do a group project, with rigid documentation and idea requirements, for ~7 months) A level result back yesterday. It's an 'A' grade, which I'm really happy about, as I've been sporadically panicking about the results since we messed up our final presentation last year. Not everyone got an A though, so things have been getting a little awkward among my friends... I feel really bad for them, especially since many of them really worked very hard on their projects.

things about choir (tl;dr == I actually enjoyed choir today)

Choir was better today too, didn't get scolded as badly as the past 2 sessions. There's still a long way to go to bridge that gap that will get us top honors, but after today I'm more optimistic. It was mostly direct constructive criticism this time, instead of the "your section has no brains you suck etc." type of scolding, which actually contains useful feedback (except the feedback is so deeply buried in the harsh words that we just get scared and our singing mechanisms tighten up).

A friend who moved to "somewhere around London" stopped over in Singapore for a couple of hours today. Met her and had ramen. On my way home I took the train in the wrong direction but realized it after one stop, thankfully.

===

As a result of my good mood here is a SP attempt! Except I really messed up the face again, as evidenced by the second image which shows an overlay of my actual face (kind of) on the SP.

Guess who watched Tangled yesterday?

Sketchbook

21. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With the oils, I think they're more suited to organic subjects like people, fruit and landscapes. A plastic tray is never going to come out well. Get some empty bottles, couple of tins and a few apples.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gestures

got the intuos3 intermittent pressure sensitivity problem at school today. Fixed it by rolling back drivers.

Last edited by krysjez; April 11th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

When I was your age, I was partying every night,
    getting drunk
    and I was running wild everytime that
    I got a chance for it, not thinking about art AT all.
    So I guess, that you are waaaaay ahead of me.
    Good luck.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while...have a little watercolor from life to post once I scan it. tomorrow maybe.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I brought my camera to school and promptly forgot to take a picture of that watercolor...
    ===
    Have an essay on human rights to finish by tomorrow. My least favorite topic.
    On Wednesday I will be off to take part in a choral competition, and then hopefully I will be going to watch Thor in the afternoon! I haven't seen a movie in ages...and if anyone has seen Thor in 3D - is the 3D version worth the extra ticket price?
    ===
    1. Some Order of the Stick fanart from imagination
    and to be on the safe side I added my name onto these pics:
    2. from photo
    3. from photo
    4. from life

I still haven't settled on a method for drawing from life my current method is to try defining the large outlines with straight lines first then work in from there, but my proportion problems are still very much present

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm a Singaporean too. Wish I started doing basics as early as you did, rather than only doing them nowadays, just before going into uni, now I'm worried if I'll ever get good enough before I grad, and be jobless and mediocre.

You improve so quickly its scary, wish I'd be able to do the same. And who the hecks been telling you you can't do realism?

Sink into syncronicity, thinking in links. Drinking ink, crinkling blank foreheads and squinting and blinking at things

My Sketchbook
    Mad Spartans!!!:
    Creusa
    n1frit
    Liberty
    Hu-ha
    Deviantart: http://raphire.deviantart.com/

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Raphire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, mate! Really like the batch in 202, particularly the two pencil sketches.
    You're working hard ontop of your already hectic school work, which is really admirable and it's definite your studies are starting to pay off.

Just keep up the good work, mate.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raphire I can't really see improvement to be honest...and uni is plenty of time to get good. I'm not that far away from your situation really.
    Naids: I um haven't been doing studies >__> I really should though...
    Dimi: thanks!
    ===
    Econs! Monopolies! gaaak
    Also forgot to mention that our choir clinched the highest-level award on Wednesday and Thor was so pretty *o* (the movie, not the man)
    ===
    OOTS fanart with a fotolia ref for pose

Last edited by krysjez; May 9th, 2011 at 04:28 AM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You like Amy Pond? We can definitely be buddies! Can you draw her married to me, not that massive nose guy please?

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kendall: ok, one day! But I honestly don't see what's wrong with Rory's nose @_@ I can't understand why it's a running gag.

===

I got a bit depressed today looking at Miles' (and other teens') sketchbooks.

Did a practice paper for my SAT II Literature (which is in 3 weeks! along with the Math II test! which I haven't studied for! T_T ) today. Never done lit or any other humanities really - I was pretty much a physics/chem/bio person until last year when I took the drastic move of dropping all three subjects in favor of computing and art. Anyway according to the grading key I got 650 or something like that which is really quite terrible...still, it's a first try so I will stay optimistic.

Today I learned what "anaphora" is.

===

SP wearing mistakenly purchased hat (I wanted a beret) from mirror. Did it at sunset and the light changed so fast that the shadows went from clearly defined to a mess of similar values in 10 minutes.

This one actually looks a bit like me! True but ridiculous: I almost got bicep cramp from holding my 1kg sketchbook up to draw...

Last edited by krysjez; May 16th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.
    Sketchbook

36. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last elf piece looks sooo nice
    Pencil work is just great!

Keep working from life. One of the best sources for early progression.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last SP looks pretty spiffy, I really like your pencil work in general I see mucho improvements since your first post, you'll be pro in no time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the comment! Seems like it's really hard working on all your school stuff and being so focused on art at the same time. Keep fighting!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) from photo (duh!). I overdid this one again. It looked better before I added more layers of shading
    2) unrelated news: we had a lovely moon a few nights ago

Sketchbook

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 55