Sketchbook: Learning to draw - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cute characters. You have nice lines. Your imagination work is great. Definitely work with more reality stuff. It may not be as creative, but it will make your imagination work better. I know you will improve just keep at it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    from life and Bridgman

I get so frustrated at how I can't draw things that are properly proportioned when I'm doing copies or from life (it just gets more obvious in copies).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

3. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also just remembered this from last year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/remiya/...th/4168446386/

Sketchbook

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

5. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Amazing coursework you've! The insects are so beautifully textured and painted, and the old paper background brings everything to life! Definitely looks like the type of stuff that could be sold in bookstores.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work. I think the skeleton is very hard to draw from observation. You did a fantastic job. Keep it up. Your doing exactly what you should be. I have no suggestions for you today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook. Conte pencils are great for life drawings, etc., when you have to cover large areas. I think you should work on your lines, not all lines are equally important. Give more weigth to the important ones and be confident.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) The only good thing about this sketch is that it gives me a glimpse into what I would have looked like had I been born a boy.
    2) some stuff

Also I am angry because I just bought the Lone-lands Quest Pack for LOTR Online, and now I find it's going to be made free after today's update (which just started an hour ago)

GRRRR

And there's a horrible smell in the air, like burning rubber and strange chemicals, all over the island tonight.

Last edited by krysjez; November 29th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
    Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think that last portrait looks quite good, it'd look awesome cleaned up a bit.

As for the studies- keep them up! Mouths are hard things to get right.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's my birthday tomorrow! But am dreading going to school tomorrow because I cut my fringe a too short effectively reverting to my old weird hairstyle

1: stuff I did this morning
    2: studies
    3: quick sketches from life
    4: i don't know

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thnx for visiting my sb...yea i got the loomis books....i really like the progress from the first page to the current one..your hard work's paying off..Keep drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank for stopping by!

And, you're really progressing nicely on your studies and imaginative paintings! It would be even cooler to see you try some digi still lives! Just a thought.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's my birthday!
    now I am old
    also I just figured out the secret to preventing eyedrops from leaking out. First try your best not to aim off target when squeezing the bottle and once the drops are roughly in the area of your eye look downwards to get the medicine to flow to the front of your eye. Then blink to spread it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trying out oil paint. From photo. Roughly followed instructions from a book called Oils in 10 steps by Ian Sidaway. I had a lot of brown paint left over at the end and didn't know what to do with it so I covered the whole thing with brown. I only like the pepper on the left. Done in an hour and a half, I think.

Last edited by krysjez; December 2nd, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Sketchbook

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a nice SB showing a steady improvement. On that last picture, why a photo? It would be better to paint them from life where you can see the reflected colours better.

For those Conte pencils, use them on grey paper where the paper is the mid tone to start with, then you have no choice but to push the values.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're doing great to me. The main thing I'd say is to keep working on developing your skills with structure and shape. Thinking about the negative and positive space and angles can really help you start to get a better idea of how things are proportioned and arranged in space. Hit something like bridgman's books hard to really get the structure of individual parts down, making the entire figure come together more instinctively.

Just keep going, you're definitely on the right track so long as you don't quit! Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are kicking some serious butt here, keep goin. The digital stuff looks to be taking off, I like anime figures just copy the cool ones I'm kidding, your taste in that is probably better than my taste. I am pro- explosives and fighting type of cartoons.

Good observations are key to learning, and learning being the key word because once you do, you don't forget. and belated happy birthday. cheers.

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot: It was the photo in the book. I wanted to follow along with the same subject matter as the book's step-by-step because I really had no idea what I was doing. Unfortunately I didn't have any capsicum handy.

eekolite: Sorry I don't really understand what do you mean by structure and shape? Is it like the underlying bone and muscle structure, that kind of thing?

strings: thanks!

something I did from 11:30 till midnight while waiting to put my eyedrops.

Connor looks like shit, his head is too small, something is wrong with his leg, and I don't know what to do with Arkady's feet. Also they are both amputees at the moment. There is supposed to be an umbrella somewhere in there as well. My library book basket was nearby so was looking up Bridgman for neck, torso and legs. It was useful in terms of learning but not so much in helping the drawing fix itself. ah well

characters from FreakAngels (slightly NSFW?) with great art by Paul Duffield

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oils are very difficult material to work with, but you handle with them quite nicely. Double gratz for you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, as someone said, you are really improving bit by bit
    as for http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1291278794
    Dont go with such active and similar strenghts of colors and blinks everywhere, this way it's hard to achieve the optical shape illusions and the overall statisfying image of the painting. +blinks arent totaly white, there is still some color in them, even if its very very very light. Try out cold vs hot (cold lights, hot shadows, or hot lights, cold shadows), sometimes it gives fascinating results

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Justas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justas Thank you! So what you are saying is I should have more range in values as well? darker shadows?

Today's update on yesterday's fanart. I redrew Connor's head so many times that the paper ripped on the last erase-redraw cycle whoops...thinking of changing the light source because EVERY single thing I have ever drawn uses top right/top left lighting which results in me shading them in a very formulaic way, without understanding actually how the form should be affecting the shadows.

shadows without thinking = bad!

I still haven't figured out how to make figures look like they're standing on ground.

Undecided on whether umbrella should be collapsed or not. Looks weird this way but fits canon better. also what are their hands doing lol

Last edited by krysjez; December 5th, 2010 at 05:52 AM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cute. I take it its not finished yet. I suggest finding some good references to compare your drawing with others. Also, drawings hundreds of figures over and over may help you with proportion and such. I highly suggest trying to do more studies of figures to add to your already tons of knowledge. Keep up the great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres a lot of great work here. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mainly mean thinking in spheres, cylinders, wedges, etc. I think it would help to think more structurally in this way, making it easier to see where joints connect to other masses. For example, thinking that a spherical arm joint connects to the box of the chest at this point. They don't have to be exact boxes or spheres, just start thinking about these 3-dimensional shapes rather than lines on a page.

Well hope that helps any way, I may have just confused you more! Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    la la la school gag order nothing to see here

==========

Attending a science symposium, which is kind of odd since I don't take any natural sciences at all and don't understand 3/4 of what the lecturers are saying about polymerase chain reactions and nondeterministic functions.

1) lecturer - was really happy with how it turned out (I felt like it captured the person) but in this photo it looks different somehow. And a student (the girl with crossed legs - stick figure was from observation and girl in dress was based on that). Was trying to do eekolite's thing about thinking in terms of chest-box arm-cylinder pelvis-bucket whatever but ehh it's not quite working out. Might have to pull a Marlee sometime and spam boxes from different angles. On the flight back home, maybe.

2)another lecturer talking about P vs. NP.

Last edited by krysjez; January 17th, 2011 at 09:16 AM.
    Sketchbook

31. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    help! perspective is hard! the door looks funny and so does the building! should I even be using a vanishing point here? (It's located somewhere in between their waists.)

suggestions, critique welcome and much appreciated

Last edited by krysjez; December 10th, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well; if you want to use fantasy art for A level I'm sure it can be done. I know I got an A in GCSE looking at Brian Froud's work and drawing people/characters as elves and linking it all with escapism.
    I'm sure allot of the masters touched in on the fantasy topic, they'd make good crits.
    Getting primary sources will be hard, but I'm sure if you take your own photos of subjects and draw elves with refference from them it'll count. (glenns and forests will make great settings and linking any folk-lore from your country will definitely be bonus points)

Another thing: Last year My first topic was great! I sailed through it, like you did on your creatures, and like you- second half I chose a bad topic and spent the whole time complaining about it and not making much work.

In the end, you just have to step back when you're like that and see how you can get the best marks from the topic. Mediums, artist influences, ANYTHING. Even if the heart isn't in it at first, if you keep planning and thinking things out the ideas will come too. Something I wish I knew much earlier last year.

And on drawing. You've been practicing hard at it, and if you keep doing that you will get better. No one can be good at drawing if they avoid it all together can they? Just keep working at it and I'll bet you'll do brilliantly.
    All the best luck, mate.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The previous image should be a 1 point perspective, take it easy

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to strings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The image looks perfectly fine. Don't fret. I honestly don't think your having much trouble with the perspective aspect and more trouble with colors for the background. Keep it up and you will become the master.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you are making a lot of progress. Thats awsome! Love the studies. I can see that you are studying life and then applying it to your anime stuff, which is the right way to go if you want to be good in that area. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naidy, thanks very much for sharing your experience. I just spoke with my teacher today. He doesn't really like my ideas, I think, because

a) the theme of escapism often leads to cliched "I don't want to do my homework let me go play computer games and rot" stuff.
    b) graphic novel isn't quite artsy enough - it has a pretty definite look and feel = boring for A level assessors
    c) it seems to him now that the things I'm interested in are very general - too general, in fact - so there's not much personal stuff coming from my experiences to make it unique.

see how you can get the best marks...Even if the heart isn't in it at first
    I think my problem is the other way round...the heart is in it but the marks aren't guaranteed - for the idea that I currently have, anyway. For some reason the gods of idea generation have chosen to forsake me this year and I virtually can't think of anything good at all.

==

Some bad copies of panels from Marvel 1602's sequels, Maus (OMG) and two clumsy attempts at inking in the bottom right. Not sure if I matched the names of the inkers to the artwork correctly. Just guessing based on the staff list at the front of the book. I still don't have a strong conception of light and shade so no more inking for me now at least.

Sketchbook

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 52