Sketchbook: Learning to draw - Page 13
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Learning to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while since I've checked your sketchbook, and I gotta say you've improved a lot! Please keep it up : )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha im on the same page as you hahaha taking all the emotion and putting it somewhere else so i dont break down while i draw, keep the awesome stuff coming expermient with the figure, try to push things further, keep rocking!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaticdog View Post
    It's been a while since I've checked your sketchbook, and I gotta say you've improved a lot! Please keep it up : )
    I'm glad you're back.
    Quote Originally Posted by lionheartGFX View Post
    haha im on the same page as you hahaha taking all the emotion and putting it somewhere else so i dont break down while i draw, keep the awesome stuff coming expermient with the figure, try to push things further, keep rocking!
    I tend to only draw after the breakdown, because by the time I realize it's happening I'm too busy anticipating it, and during...well. Here's one from today. I didn't have a breakdown, but I was unhappy, and going for a walk didn't help too much. Eye and part of the nose on this one from imagination, the rest from a little mirror I have on my table.
    Name:  emo sp layered text.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  361.6 KB

I got photos, however. I'm finding that I turn to taking photos as a way to make pretty things when I'm too fatigued (or simply not in the mood - happens very often nowadays ) to draw.
    Name:  PC162634.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  219.0 KB
    Name:  PC162651.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  126.9 KB
    Name:  PC162671.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  151.1 KB
    I've also found that drawing on the computer is much easier to do when I'm low on energy, perhaps because my computer is always in front of me anyway. And because I can undo etc. and erase things easily. But I'm afraid I'll forget how to draw traditionally. I already can't draw anything below the hips on a human figure without reference.

Went sketching yesterday afternoon.
    Name:  023.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  135.8 KB
    Name:  024.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  025.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  238.8 KB

My friend took a stalker photo of me.
    Name:  425659_10151385128253973_898207272_n.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  101.9 KB

More pics from a trip to the Yale Center for British art in a bit.

Last edited by krysjez; December 16th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

5. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pics from the YCBA still in a bit...
    Meanwhile,

Finally continuing my comic. 8 and 9 will be up a couple hours after I get access to a scanner! (when I get access to a scanner, however, is a question that remains to be answered. I'm trying to use a carefully taken photograph as a substitute for now, because I really want to color 8.)

Sketchbook

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

7. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did one of these things hoping it would be inspirational to myself, but to be honest, the lack of improvement since 2008 is disturbing and altogether quite depressing. This is what I refer to when I talk about my 5-year-long art block. Those watercolor plants look literally exactly the same as they would if I painted them today, almost 5 years later.
    But lol old art (see: 2006)

Name:  ImprovementMemeSmall.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  236.0 KB

Last edited by krysjez; December 20th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
    Sketchbook

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cut out the middle years and then put them together. There is a big difference. Also, you have an excellent eye in photography, bring that more into your art.

I hop things are okay with your ex. What I said to my eldest son - 'You're very young. Don't get pushed into a corner, just because.'

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Cut out the middle years and then put them together. There is a big difference. Also, you have an excellent eye in photography, bring that more into your art.
    I hop things are okay with your ex. What I said to my eldest son - 'You're very young. Don't get pushed into a corner, just because.'
    Thank you Black Spot. I always appreciate your comments. It's nice to have an older (in the best way possible) perspective on things.
    About the photography - my mind is quite cinematic actually. My imagination tends to work in scenes I've tried a couple of times to approach drawing in the manner of finding a shot when taking photos, and it kind of works in my mind, but once I try to translate to paper I just can't do it.
    Thanks also, Xeon, for dropping by.
    ===
    And so somehow there is now one week left to school: I am two days away from reaching my current mini-goal of staying generally decent and emotionally/mentally resilient for a fortnight. Drawing helps
    ===
    Here's a new pic I'm hopeful about - it lost something going from sketch to lines though, and is currently very different from the original color scheme I had in my head. It's tougher than I thought to figure out how to add shadows and light while keeping the same palette and high-keyness you originally envisioned. Ah, high-key is a good word - for some reason relating to photography (the original context in which I encountered the word) makes it easier to visualize how that works with shadows.
    Name:  lyng2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  155.8 KB

9 of the comic.

A little thing.

Name:  sighcomic.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  434.8 KB

Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've improved so much it's inspiring to see. good job =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been there, bought the t-shirt. Nice comic. Keep plugging away.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to both. Black Spot's comments are always fun to read.
    ===
    Classes this semester:
    1. Data structures and programming techniques (killer)
    2. Multivariable calculus (eep - I'm bad at math)
    3. Rather Advanced Chinese (course number wouldn't make sense to anyone here)
    4. Basic drawing
    5. Animal communication vs. human language

I'm screwed.
    ===
    The uni bookstore doesn't wrap books, so I've very recently taken to using it as a library when I need to relax. I found a book on animals (http://www.amazon.com/Force-Drawing-.../dp/0240814355), took notes, then tried out a few drawings when I got home (from photos):
    Name:  ArcSoft_Image35.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  32.7 KB Name:  ArcSoft_Image36.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  48.0 KB Name:  ArcSoft_Image37.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  46.9 KB
    I wasn't able to find a good balance between focusing on the line of action and keeping the proportions accurate, though.

Doodle while watching the new Who companion traipse around with evil snowmen:
    Name:  blue.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  192.5 KB

Had to buy new art materials for the drawing class. Stupidly expensive, as art materials tend to be. But now I have Conte crayon sticks.
    Name:  conte.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  44.7 KB (from photo)

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doodle
    Name:  v_k_huggles.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  152.0 KB

Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought a two-pound block of Roma plastalina from the art supply store here. They were also charging $23 for a 60-sheet pad of low-quality cartridge paper. Outrageous.

Name:  23369_339163619532599_631273436_n.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  58.3 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new pic. Took this a while back.

Name:  laurelavenew.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  230.9 KB

Sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snowpocalypse!

I'm in Basic Drawing this term with a pretty chill instructor. He's definitely not the one who assigns the least work, but far from the most intense in the department, so this is my relaxing class to balance out the stress of desperately posting on all my social networks "my code doesn't work!!!!!" at 1.55am on Friday mornings (code for CS is due at 2am). And multivariable calculus. I don't understand what a partial derivative is, ugh...

Drawings from class so far, in roughly chronological order:
    First drawing - instruction was "draw this still life however you want; we want to see how you draw naturally". Actually just an excuse because the instructor was away at grad school admissions and the TA had to keep us occupied for two hours.
    Name:  P2100349.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  344.7 KB
    I got called out on the following one for using little sketchy wavering lines (not confident) and the instructor showed me a different way of holding my charcoal that helped a lot - basically, press the long side of the whole stick to the paper, and drag. I did a lot of measuring on this one, the one-eye-closed kind.
    Name:  P2100350.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  266.0 KB
    This is from last Monday - instructor told me "your measuring's really good and much better than before today"...except I didn't measure anything, just made corrections until things looked right. Usually my first guess is a lot more accurate than if I measure - I wonder why that is! I often find myself measuring something, and then following the measurements accurately, and it doesn't look right - and when I don't measure and draw something with the "wrong" proportions it looks accurate.
    Name:  P2100348.JPG
Views: 485
Size:  269.6 KB
    HomeworK: still life in conte crayon from 3 angles.
    Name:  P2100345.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  243.8 KBName:  P2100346.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  237.6 KBName:  P2100347.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  296.0 KB

Tried painting from life yesterday during the blizzard - how do I paint, ugh. My drawing wasn't accurate, and I just don't know how to loosen up and not have a fill-in-the-blanks mentality with paint.
    Name:  P2100344.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  219.3 KB

Regular sketchbook stuff.
    Name:  P2100343.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  423.8 KB

Lastly, here's my window. The snow is already at about 75% of its height as of this morning.
    Name:  P2100351.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  278.7 KB
    And check out this insane giant igloo people made in one of the colleges' courtyards. That's me, 170cm, for scale at the side, and I'm already standing fairly close to the camera. The inside reeked of marijuana, so I ducked out after a few minutes.
    Name:  P2090048.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  173.2 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow amazing sketchbook specially the latest pages you are having fun with it and mixing it up, i totally get the feeling of the latest comic i dont know how to approach people at all, specially the ones im interested with xDD either way keep it up im subscribed! its very enjoyable to see your work grow!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First assignment from Basic Drawing that I forgot to post before:
    Name:  WP_000884 (Large).jpg
Views: 297
Size:  218.9 KB
    And a more recent 180cm tall drawing I did over around 2 class sessions last week.
    Name:  allenwrench.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  28.8 KB
    One of the other sections (=versions) of this class started drawing figures on the second lesson and they've had a model come in every session since. Envious. But I suppose being forced to draw really boring subjects and slowly work through incredibly boring exercises on negative space and figure-ground relationships will be good for rooting my understanding of drawing.

Name:  v-k-valentine.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  397.9 KB
    I drew a quick and sloppy thing for Valentine's Day. Although I like that my observation work seems to be getting better, my stuff from imagination is really unsatisfactory. I still don't understand how to link observation to imagination-??

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    love the comic.
    and the igloo and the malbuttoned shirt.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, VK.
    ===
    Had a rough night this morning - cried till dawn, then fitful sleep after. The day has been pretty unproductive so far. But I just drew a little bit, getting started on a sketch for something a classmate requested. Now it's time to write a short essay about vocal learning! At least that will be interesting
    ===
    I'm quite happy with/proud of this, except her face is very flat and I still haven't really figured out how to make cartoony faces less flat:
    Name:  vulcan-50p-right.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  188.1 KB
    Next page of comic:
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  260.6 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the ellipses and nice still lives. Keep on trucking - you're on the right road

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From class today.

I have some self-portraits to post but I'll do it when I'm more awake.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfinished from yesterday. I'm really bad at proportions when I don't have concrete features set down - the washes make her far too tall and stretched-out. But I'm going to finish this anyway because I kind of like it:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yale, huh? Schmancy. The above thing is from reference, right? It looks fine to me. I like it too. The messenger / Google comic farther up is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I have a few more sad comics floating around as pictures in my head (some of them are quite pretty too), but I know that if I draw them I will most likely get sad and heartbroken again - the subject has been on my mind quite a lot again lately. Had I known how hard I'd fall I would have just stayed way clear of a relationship...ah well. And also just that I always have pretty clear pictures and moods in my head, but I can't manage to express them when I actually draw them out, so the same thing might happen.

Pictures:

1. Comic
    Name:  12v2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  179.9 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  184.6 KB

2. Not sure if I posted this before but slightly out-of-date progress pic on the pic that refuses to be finished:
    Name:  lyng_5.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  241.1 KB

3. This isn't visual art at all, but some poetry I wrote maybe a month? ago that I still quite like. It's supposed to be in three parts, kind of - there must be a technical term for that, but I know nothing about literature:
    Name:  pretty1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  pretty2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  pretty3.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  87.3 KB

4. WIPs
    idea I'm not sure how to execute (ok, actually, I know how - reference!!!)
    Name:  vintergaek_cliff.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  55.2 KB
    picture that I'm drawing as a gift for a graduating senior
    Name:  ari.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  35.2 KB
    this one has gone untouched for over a month...I gotta finish it up
    Name:  durkon-rip.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  66.8 KB

5. Doodles
    from life 2 days ago - started raining before I could finish
    Name:  ldub.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  122.6 KB
    Name:  ladyfan.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  51.2 KB
    Name:  rage.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  81.7 KBName:  req1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  80.5 KBName:  scraggly-v.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  123.2 KBName:  silverskirt.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  108.9 KB
    I also tossed a bunch of drawings from art class this semester (got an A- because I wasn't edgy enough for the teacher or something) into the recycling, but I have pictures on my camera.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No art in this post, but I just got back from the Edwardian Opulence exhibition at the Yale Center for British Art. Stared long and hard at a Sargent - what a master.

Sketchbook

34. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lovely as always.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I dig your colors. Awesome sketchbook! :3

Time may heal all wounds, but what heals time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a great eye for composition while taking photos. God knows I can't take a photo to save my life. When doing your still life drawings, make sure to keep your constructions and perspective in mind. IF not then things start to look a bit wonky. Keep working hard.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, I'd say hairy legs are edgy enough, wear theese and you'll get A+ from your teacher for sure Love the #382 btw. Anyway, keep up good progress. You are young in wonderful environment so that's about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good seeing your comic's still progressing! Really like how that painting with the girl against the wall's going, I'd love to see how that ends up. Hope things are going well. Keep up the good work.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 52