Sketchbook: Learning to draw - Page 12

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, uni has started! I had a nice first few days; have been meeting A LOT of people and social fatigue started to set in after the third day or so.
    Heart still feeling like crap; physical anxiety/stress symptoms when I think of my ex are finally starting to fade though. That's good. I spam-listened to Adele today...that woman sure has a good heartbreak album.
    ===
    Been waking up at 6am on the dot every day regardless of whether I sleep at midnight or 2am...so I went down to the courtyard yesterday morning to sketch. I haven't touched this sketchbook in a long time. About 1+ hour, pencil and watercolor (with a little water brush). By the time I was done the sun was shining in my eyes and the value contrast between the lit leaves and everything else was really big - so I went over the whole background with an indigo+black wash to try and push it further back. Didn't work too well though.

Had some trouble judging relative proportions and distances, and it seems like my mind's eye has a fixed focal length - I had a VERY hard time scaling everything down so that it could fit on the paper! Does anyone else have this problem? I wanted to get the spire (tower? What do you call it?) of the chapel in, actually marked out where it should have been on the paper, but...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm upset to hear you have had such a rocky time.
    I wish I could read all the little notes on your art boards, I might learn something from them. The calligraphy looks great and so does your life-painting. When I try to draw or paint from life the proportions of things always spasm wildly from my initial hopes to the final image and still suffer. So I understand the 'unable to scale' issue. The fact you are practicing will surely bring you more confidence and control, though.

Please hang in there and do what makes you happy, whether that means making a lot of art, just a little, or taking breaks from it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see you're still getting on with things regardless of the troubles you've been having. Don't be too hard on yourself, mate. Just the fact you're going out, painting, etc. You can start being more critical when you start feeling better in yourself.

I hope you enjoy uni too! I'm off over to mine on the 25th.

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for your comment in my SB. I just had to check yours out too and I gotta say wow about your watercolor pieces. really gorgeous.
    And sorry to read that you are having some anxiety. I can really relate to that since I struggled too with that for some time. All I can say is that it gets better and so far what I can see, u are doing a great job going out and painting.
    Focus on things that makes you happy and be proud of the art u produce Keep it up. Its great!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,618 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the calligraphy, it's an art in itself and yours is nice. Yep, I think everyone has that problem at times, but turned out quite nice. It could do with the values pushing, but it's hard to wait for the paper to dry and then find the light has changed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eyestrain If you're interested I can send you bigger versions with legible text? And I just noticed you live in Montana - I was recently invited to go to some town in Montana for Thanksgiving break, actually.
    Black Spot, my attachment images aren't showing up, so I can't see the calligraphy picture (but apparently you can).
    Naids, nina
    ---
    Thank you to everyone for the support. I am starting to get my act together for school and it's helping keep me distracted too. there are some bad moments still - two days ago I could barely get out of bed because I dreamed something (can't even remember clearly, but it made me feel bad) - but they are fleeting.
    ---
    But all right - time to test out the new uploader. No more metadata?
    Attachment 1598312
    40 minute doodle, taking a break. Earlier in the day some people were talking about Tolkien fanart. I was working on a computer science problem set, finished a decent amount, so took a break - re-read one of my favorite poems from The Lord of the Rings:

The world was young, the mountains green,
    No stain yet on the Moon was seen,
    No words were laid on stream or stone
    When Durin woke and walked alone.
    He named the nameless hills and dells;
    He drank from yet untasted wells;
    He stooped and looked in Mirrormere,
    And saw a crown of stars appear,
    As gems upon a silver thread,
    Above the shadow of his head.
    (excerpt)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No words can describe how glad I am that the multi uploader is finally in place. And now I can put the captions where the pictures are.
    ===
    University update - Midterms soon, and I may also become a board member of the Yale Art Society at some point. I finally decided to found an organization for art people who aren't art majors to hang out, only to find that two other people had literally just had the same idea, with a better name to boot.
    ===

Presentation doodles from life. Proportions and measuring are getting very out of practice - quite far from when I did those Bargue things in March.
    March seems a lifetime away. So much has happened that I'm sort of surprised it's still 2012.
    Name:  013.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  142.3 KB

Homework doodle. I think I shall have to draw some nudes soon, I'm forgetting how bodies work.
    Name:  014.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  74.7 KB
    One thing annoying me is how I can draw realistic(ish) things from ref - but once you ask me to work from imagination I go back to 13 year old anime mode.
    Name:  015.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  76.9 KB

Old, from ref - I was trying to stylize the face off a photo I found because I saw some comic artists who do it beautifully. No such luck.
    Name:  slav study.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  124.5 KB
    Old, imagination.
    Name:  012.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  61.3 KB

Last edited by krysjez; October 7th, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hope you're having a good time at Uni!

Stylizing from photos is one of those things that doesn't always work right away, so if that's something you're interested in then definitely try again! Not having seen the photos you're working from, I think both of these last pictures are fairly successful (considering that they're pretty rough sketches). Although the first girl does look like she's missing part of her index finger.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the shoes you did! The calligraphy is pretty neat too!

I agree with the poster above-- stylization from photos can be a tricky business. You need to have a really good understanding of anatomy, 3D space, etc... otherwise you end up like me and start copying what you see. Keep working at it, though. One recommendation I have is to work from multiple reference sources. So yes, you are working from a photo, it isn't the only thing that you are doing. Another thing is just keep up with the life drawing.

Best of luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to syrella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Syrella, you are absolutely right about having to understand the structure. I find that I've definitely moved in the direction of just copying shapes instead of thinking about the form of what I'm drawing, when I attempt to be more 'accurate'.

Last edited by krysjez; October 9th, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Yale! congrats!
    Good colours on that night piece.
    Youre really getting the hang of this art stuff now, nice!!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, VK.
    ===
    Midterms next week. As in, in three days. If I don't make it out alive, I want my ashes to be sent into space (but in a way that doesn't turn them into spacejunk)
    ===
    Study break: Drapery study 40min. From photo, inaccurate, weird things going on with the shadows (note to self: either lay down a grey base or don't on shadows - not yes on some and no on others)
    Name:  016.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  256.3 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your values and drapery are really coming together nicely i love it post mroe mroe more !

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog
    My website
    #Bestyear

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

UPDATED 2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!
    ===
    It's absolutely surreal how dark it is outside, at only 7pm - and it's going to get worse as we move towards winter. Had my first uni exam today :-/
    Decided afterwards that I should draw something - something to get me out in the open instead of in a room before a computer. Could barely feel my fingers afterwards.
    ===
    I need to learn how to dare to push my values - there's barely any sense of light in this.
    It's really difficult to draw in perspective from observation >_< the white figure in the front is supposed to be a girl who briefly sat there, but looking at her in relation to the rest of the picture doesn't quite make sense.

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  232.5 KB

Last edited by krysjez; October 17th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
    Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your progress is inspiring, also that pokemon comic thing was cool, I kinda wanna know what happens next

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    element1988: thanks And the Pokemon thing will continue, just sporadically, don't worry
    ===
    Watched episode 1 of Game of Thrones yesterday. my curiosity about the plot and characters (also: swords and sorcery !!!) wins over my dislike of the gratuitous nudity so far.
    ===
    I decided it was time to do some fan art again for my favorite doomed couple, Inkyrius and Vaarsuvius from The Order of the Stick.
    First I did this:
    Name:  019.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  30.6 KB
    Then I thought it might be a good idea to do some alternative thumbnails:
    Name:  018.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  95.5 KB
    But the thumbs aren't working out very well, largely due to lack of knowledge of light

I mainly want to find a way of lighting these two in a way that makes physical sense, looks dramatic, and draws attention to the book the figure on the right is holding. Might just go with the first picture's setup though, but get some references for the bodies.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did three portraits at a sketch booth thing our school had today.
    I can get semi-likeness now, which is great, but it's really frustrating that I'm drawing but don't really seem to be learning anything from it: today I drew a couple different eye and mouth structures, and while I can see how they would inform my future art, I still can't draw a realistic/semi-realistic face from imagination. Poo.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bought a new brush pen - a Pentel one in the large size. This one was strongly recommended to me because the tip uses bristles instead of a brush-shaped sponge thing, but the ink flow isn't quick enough for drawing, and the tip started to get a little out of shape when I tried doing Chinese calligraphy with it. Should have spent the money on calligraphy markers instead - a Sakura (? not sure about brand) brush pen I got several years ago is still the best I've used.
    Some figures and some words. There is another page of these but it's late and I want to go to bed.
    Name:  020.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  396.2 KB

Sketchbook

24. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,618 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You could make the girl who isn't there more ghost like. Don't try faces without reference. Remember you can use it as a starting point and not be a slave to it. If you want to do portraits, you need to do loads of them and watch the relationship of each feature to each other - abstract the form between the features to make it easier on yourself.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update to say that a power outage here is possible due to the hurricane Sandy. My first hurricane, it's a little scary.

Sketchbook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update again: I am safe and well, immense amounts of schoolwork suddenly piling up all due next week, and general regret and feelings about my ex are coming to a head again. Ugh.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes work is good for feeling sad, just gotta get started then its ok yo!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkbhTmB-ao

oh you know that watch? $800,000. sickening isnt it.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you VK I agree completely! been so busy I haven't had time to think about my feelings at all, I just push them aside when they come with 'I can't afford to do this now'. I think they should be addressed at some point however.
    ===
    The first snow of the year is upon us in Connecticut. 15 hours non-stop and counting. This is my first time seeing snow ever (I'm from the equator, remember) so obviously I had to go out and take pictures without gloves (will buy some this weekend) and get my fingers extremely cold. A really good idea considering I have terrible circulation even in normal temperatures...But someone just told me "Yale in the snow is basically Narnia" - I have to agree.

Name:  PB082368.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  185.2 KB

Name:  PB082386.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  225.7 KB

Name:  PB082394.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  214.1 KB

Sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, the winter photos are so romantic and beautiful! :o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Xeon. How's it in SG?
    ===
    It's a balmy 10 deg C outside today, and the snow is melting and generally looking unappealing. More pictures from the storm:

Name:  PB082382-3.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  326.1 KB

Name:  PB082384-3.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  229.8 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For shits and giggles, some old art. Here's the earliest thing I could dredge up, from...2005, I think. I was 11-12.
    Learning to draw
    And this is from 2006. I was 12.
    Learning to draw
    Note my creative spelling of 'screws'.

I don't know if it's more encouraging or depressing to see the amount of progress I've made.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm 19!!!
    Final exams are coming soon. My performance has been pretty okay this semester; I got an A in English recently and an unexpectedly high result on another exam I was stressing out about. Yay!

I'm glad I can quite effectively isolate my feelings from my school/work performance, because otherwise...well. In the latest episode of "I use my SB as my blog", my ex and I haven't talked in a while, but recently exchanged some short messages. And I've been more than a little confused by how they seemed to want to talk - (and then in between I said I couldn't deal with it and requested for no more contact...I really couldn't, at that point) - and swung back to "I'm not ready to talk to you". I'm a little worried that the ex might be angry at me or just...dislike me, because I still as always hold them in high regard and hope to have their respect.
    I've been having a good and very clear-headed week, and tried taking the chance to analytically break down my feelings for this person and why I react the way I do to thoughts of them. But I don't even really know how to think about thing anymore, though I know how I should feel: just forget about it; that person does not feel for you in this way (!!!!). I confided in a Trusted Upperclassman, who asked me how I felt about this person and I got stuck. Feelings suck.
    ===
    So I name the files in my "2012\CASketchbook" folder sequentially, starting from 001, and I am quite ashamed to say that these are 021.jpg and 022.jpg. The 2011 folder definitely had more. Much more. And 2012 is almost over - it's kind of crazy.

My heads got very two-dimensional over the past few months again, after a while where I thought of them more as solid forms and tried to draw accordingly. Back to Loomis I suppose.
    ===
    1. Sketch done at rehearsal - I was sick and sat at the back. We're singing Durufle's Requiem next year; I'm excited to sing with an orchestra.
    My short-sightedness makes drawing architectural details extremely annoying. I look at stuff like James Gurney's sketches of buildings and weep at how accurate they are.
    Name:  021.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  379.5 KB
    2. Doodle.
    Name:  022.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  230.9 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fellow singaporean how are you doing ! Your watercolours are very pretty! even though you're not doing exactly what you wanted just remember nothing is impossible!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blah photo study. Actually quite horrific. Painter is finicky - I think maybe because of the way I hold my pen, it keeps thinking I'm using a violin bow grip on every brush stroke I make. Wouldn't it be amazing if there was a pressure and tilt sensitive stylus that worked just like a brush?

Name:  tree-light-study.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  278.8 KB

Last edited by krysjez; December 9th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter!
    ===
    Name:  cry serren (Small).jpg
Views: 213
Size:  68.0 KB

Sketchbook

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 53