Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to draw

Thanks
    That latest digital painting looks like it's coming alive!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    mum is dragging me out to buy medicine, interrupting my work on photo study. Her face looking iffy because I did something wrong with the eyes. Will fix later.

(photo: monica fadul)

edit: explanation for marlee -- and a few more words because I didn't have space.

general colors = red-orange (from skin and for general warming up), brown (pretty obvious), green (dress and background) and I put the black there for fun but I didn't actually use it. Later on I realized I needed yellow so picked it out, but I think in general you shouldn't do that too often unless doing final accents, so it looks more harmonious.
    Last edited by krysjez; December 27th, 2010 at 05:23 AM.
    Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 917 Posts
    freakangels!

being interrupted while studying is always a drag--especially when that certain someone could take offense to 'not now, i'm busy'. ;o;
    i try to make the best of the situation and reflect on what i've learned, maybe even seeing real life examples of it when i'm out. There's also the fresh view on your piece when you get back to it, which can open yourself up to errors that you overlooked while working hard on it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    wow incredible improvement in 5 pages. I love all this perspective stuff you've done. I have the Whit Brachna dvds and after seeing all this hard work I think I'll be watching them again to get a better confidence with the construction of it all.

Just keep on drawing, no crits for you because you are definitely going in the right direction.
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    Woah, that last one there is looking bloody good. It seems you're getting a great understanding of colours.
    My only crit is the shadows in the refference are more spread on her face, but I'm sure you're already working your way to doing that.

Keep up the good work mate!
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidy View Post
    Woah, that last one there is looking bloody good. It seems you're getting a great understanding of colours.
    Um, not really...

My only crit is the shadows in the reference are more spread on her face, but I'm sure you're already working your way to doing that.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I added a wee bit more shadow to her face.

hücumkedi - I'll try!
    Black Spot - ah, sage advice. I think I will re-attempt the fauns in half a year.
    a la bapsi - FreakAngels!
    ThomasM - I haven't really done any perspective stuff other than fret about it, hehe. Credit for that nifty diagram goes to eekolite.

===

aargh JPG compression artifacts! I'm leaving this one here for now. Screwed up bits and pieces but this first photo study was loads of fun.

Though I'm getting a bit worried about being shackled to reference now. My imagination work is getting worse.
    Sketchbook

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The texture and rendering of that study are very nice. Definitely keep on with the anatomy and also positive/negative space relationship studies as there are a few issues there.

For your imagination work, make sure to do some drawings or sketches from your head after doing a batch of say anatomy studies. If you draw some figures from photos, make sure to follow up with some figures from your head. Try to focus on at least one thing that you learned from the batch of studies to improve in your imagination studies. Try to use photostudies as a way to build your visual library, not just an exercise in copying.

But good work overall, keep at it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    eek - positive/negative space relationship? (I know what +/- are but not sure what you mean in this context)

#1 - previously mentioned guy with beer
    #3 - then a doodle based on the same pose (not showing up for me??)
    #2 - just some drawings off Bridgman to understand the concept of head, ribs and torso being fixed 'blocks' in the figure. Did some hand studies trying to get marlee's clean line. failed. tried again with pen hoping it would force my strokes to be more decisive. failed again. The faces are mine (except orange girl at bottom right) but they don't look a bit like me. oops

hand studies were fun though, I used a different method (blocking in general outline with straight line then going back to refine) as compared to usual contour method. I think this helps me keep on proportion better.

===

due on Monday are three A3 sized detailedish drawings/paintings which are supposed to express the concepts I am interested in pursuing for coursework. would be a piece of cake except i have no bloody idea what I want to do gffgfgfgf
    Last edited by krysjez; January 5th, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
    Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    On the second image in this post, everything is leaning down and to the left! Although, maybe it's the way you took the picture. Either way, I feel like I'm gonna slide away

Some nice things are happening with your colors in #137
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    It's comforting to see another manga-influenced artist going through the same thing I am. As I'm significantly lower-level than you, I can't critique at all. I can tell there are little iffy bits, but other users have already mentioned them.

Sorry I can't be of help. If you're one to be inspired by praise, I can safely say you're doing quite well in adapting a new style (I know how hard it is to break away from manga).

Thanks
    kiwi yes, it was the way I took the picture...sorry bout that
    boriol thank you! but now I feel a little lost, stuck neither here nor there in a weird limbo. It feels sometimes like I have lost any individual style I used to have.
    ---
    The teachers told me I'm not allowed to post anything relating to coursework for the rest of the year lest I get an irregularity report from the examiners. coursework will be making up most of the artwork I produce this year, I think, which means the things I am allowed to post here might be more boring, just studies and things.

But I guess I can show some pictures of my new school workspace which I painted on Wednesday. Painted the table too, not sure how the teachers will feel about that. I feel so lucky to have been assigned this little studio. It is a lot less cluttered than my room at home, which is filled with piles of lecture notes everywhere. There is no space at home for doing anything larger than A4 size. The watercolor on the board is something I wanted to show...but yeah. The drawing was done during a lecture though, so one figure is like 1.5x the size of the rest (oops)

<image removed after teachers scared us today with consequences of posting images online - anyway it was a pic of my desk with a painting on it>
    The only problem is the computer is so SLOW! so I just use it for playing music.
    Learning to draw

I don't want to get moved out of this space! But I might because these large cubicles are reserved for those doing animation, which I'm definitely not doing.
    Last edited by krysjez; January 17th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Sketchbook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    Nice study space! You even get your own kettle?

Also, I really like the first sketch on post 139. Anyways, this is Concept art, I don't think we get tired of seeing 'boring studies' the imaginitve stuff is like the cherry on the top.

Anyways, I noticed your reply to Boriol. I think nearly everyone our age has had to go through that very awkward transition from generic manga to realism and finally our own style. I know I got stuck at a point where I was trying to do anything but manga and didn't realize I was giving everyone flat squares for faces. Litterally.
    But you'll push past it- infact, it looks like you're already doing so! Just don't lose faith inyourself.

Keep up the good work mate.
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,055 Posts
    hallo thurr krysj! thx for dropping by my sketchbook-- looks like you're busy and i look forward to the studies you will be doing for school ^^" it's a shame they won't let u post anything else aside from school work but hopefully you can sneak in some of your own stuff hehehe oh and the answer to your question on my sketchbook-- i don't really know exactly what that is but to my understanding it's kind of a landmark for the joint and aligned with the ankle bone when the leg is bent all the way if it interests you further-- it's in Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing book!

til then~
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast