Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to draw

Thanks
    The image looks perfectly fine. Don't fret. I honestly don't think your having much trouble with the perspective aspect and more trouble with colors for the background. Keep it up and you will become the master.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I see you are making a lot of progress. Thats awsome! Love the studies. I can see that you are studying life and then applying it to your anime stuff, which is the right way to go if you want to be good in that area. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Naidy, thanks very much for sharing your experience. I just spoke with my teacher today. He doesn't really like my ideas, I think, because

a) the theme of escapism often leads to cliched "I don't want to do my homework let me go play computer games and rot" stuff.
    b) graphic novel isn't quite artsy enough - it has a pretty definite look and feel = boring for A level assessors
    c) it seems to him now that the things I'm interested in are very general - too general, in fact - so there's not much personal stuff coming from my experiences to make it unique.

see how you can get the best marks...Even if the heart isn't in it at first
    I think my problem is the other way round...the heart is in it but the marks aren't guaranteed - for the idea that I currently have, anyway. For some reason the gods of idea generation have chosen to forsake me this year and I virtually can't think of anything good at all.

==

Some bad copies of panels from Marvel 1602's sequels, Maus (OMG) and two clumsy attempts at inking in the bottom right. Not sure if I matched the names of the inkers to the artwork correctly. Just guessing based on the staff list at the front of the book. I still don't have a strong conception of light and shade so no more inking for me now at least.
    Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    I did a little drawing of a guy drinking beer yesterday but seem to have misplaced the image file. Instead, just dropping in to say that I'll be overseas and my dad refuses to let me bring my huge-ass sketchbook in the luggage, so there might a posting break of about two weeks.

To make up for it, I've got some figure drawings and too many words here: http://sigmaplus.wordpress.com/

I'm planning to buy Bridgman's Guide there though, heard it's a lot cheaper than in Singapore.
    Sketchbook

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Have fun. Remember, you can draw on almost anything. :3 I've been meaning to stop by and post some crits, just haven't made it yet. Guess I'll have to wait now, but I'll check out your blog in the meantime.

Anyway, see you in a couple weeks.

Thanks
    Greetings from China. My fingers are freezing. On the plus side, I learned some new stuff about perspective today.

When I drew that pic with iffy perspective I was thinking of the flattened-out effect you get when, say, you shoot buildings from afar with a telephoto lens. So I was searching for 'flat perspective' and found this: http://blogs.nyu.edu/blogs/csh304/ch..._perspect.html

um, anyway, lesson learnt that isn't related to the photo: vanishing point can be outside the picture frame, even in 1-point.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    buut 2 hours later it hasn't helped solve my problem
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    I'm no master of perspective, but here's what I see.

The door is actually in two point perspective because you can see two planes: the broad side and the end of the door where the hinges are. All this really means is that the end of the door would be angled and not 100% horizontal. I believe they would both vanish on the same horizon, or the eye level that the image has.

I think you actually got it pretty close here. The only part that I see that needs fixing is the lines on the sidewalk. Since the building and sidewalk are in one point, I think it's fine to have the vanishing point be somewhere in the center like below.

I'm not sure that you're right about one point perspective going off the page. Once the vanishing point is outside of the plane, I think it's best to go to two point perspective, otherwise you'll get some very skewed perspective. I made a little graphic to help explain this.

This is my understanding anyway. I've got a lot to learn too, so take this with a grain of salt. Hopefully you can understand what I mean though!

also, here's a link to a good set of exercises to go through: perspective 101

Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    THANK YOU.
    Will be posting up my progress later after finishing some homework.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    Yo yo yo! Hope you're having a good holiday, and I must say I learnt something reading that comment on vanishing points. xD

Anyways, looking forward to seeing more of your stuff, merry christmass! and or any other seasonal holiday you choose to follow~
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanks, Naidy. It's Christmas tomorrow, but I don't follow it and here in (my part of) China there are no signs of it other than incessant Jingle-Bells-Frosty-the-Snowman-Silver-Bells-The-Christmas-Song-playing in the shops. My homework remains completely undone. Sigh.

Went to the bookstore today - books in China are ridiculously cheap compared to buying on Amazon or Singaporean specialty art bookstores. Here's the list:
    1. Scott McCloud - Making Comics - 49RMB
    2. Scott McCloud - Understanding Comics - 49RMB
    3. Bridgman - Complete Guide to Drawing From Life - 65RMB
    4. Nikolay N. Repin (grandson of Ilya Repin) - (rough translation) Russia Repin Art School Advanced Drawing Course...Thing? My Chinese isn't that great. - 120RMB - It was the last one left, glad I got it.

Grand total: 283RMB ~= 55.53SGD ~= 42USD ~= 27GBP. Only problem now is that they're in Chinese. Oh well I can brush up on my language skills while reading them

I succumbed to gadget lust and bought an Intuos4 for myself. The horror stories about the friction between pen and tablet might be true - two days in and the drawing surface is already looking pretty badly scuffed in one region. It took me 2 years of drawing with the old tablet to get that kind of wear.

So, testing it out (see attachment). I'm finding it really difficult to detach myself from thinking in terms of coloring-book outlines. A hangover from earlier times.

I had an idea for a picture (it has baby fauns!) and sketched out a composition but when I started drawing the figures it was fail and I was sad.
    Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    play with colors...dont worry about it...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,870 Times in 3,974 Posts
    Just because something doesn't work first time, try it again but think what went wrong the first time and try not to repeat it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast