Art: Brutal critique appreciated!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Brutal critique appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brutal critique appreciated!

Hello, these are some 3D models I've been working on. I just needed to get professional (and regular) opinions so I can tweak my style.

Most are WIPs because I'm learning this stuff as I go. I use Zbrush but I am learning Maya so I can render there.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the above things aren't meant to be realistic, but it might be worth a go making them so they are. The elf bloke, you sort of get away with. The horse beast - not so much. It just looks like you've done a horse wrong.

So have a go at going back to real anatomy - and look at your legs (to me they look too skinny)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks for the crit

Thanks DunFishUK!
    The critter is supposed to half deer but I'll try making the legs larger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @chinadrgn

Nice stuff, you have put a nice caricature feel to your sculpts, but like Dunefishuk said, you should try recreating life first, that way you can hone into real world anatomy, before distorting it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @chinadrgn

Nice stuff, you have put a nice caricature feel to your sculpts, but like Dunefishuk said, you should try recreating life first, that way you can hone into real world anatomy, before distorting it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the elf dude, the horse is pretty damn good too. The "Manitou" { native american folk lore, Shape shifter, lures indian hunter to chase the deer and then turns into a nasty monster and consumes the hunter, happens all the time. We lose more hunters that way.} He could use a few more tweeks, I suppose, but then again, its all personal to you, isn't it? You can make it however you want. But a little more beef might be good. Try it and see how it looks. Maybe a bit of loinclothe and a few eagle feathers hanging out of his jaws. Don't forget the bloody drool stringing from his lips... always a plus.
    Good stuff.

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jaroldsng-thanks for the crit! Any chance of getting one example of the most offending item?

Mah ' Crub- Also, thanks for the CC. I will keep your suggestions in mind for the next critter. extra drool and beef

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ chinadrgn - i like you sculpts because they have good character in them, but i fell certain areas have neglected correct anatomical properties.

if you look up horse anatomy, you are missing some proper cuts and curves here and there.

The faun like girl as well, it would pay off to look at some goat like hind leg to see anything you missed out. beauty with zbrush is that tweaking is a dream so you should be able to have fun.

from her back aswell, her should blades have sunken, and her arm mass does not match her legs.

i hope you take these with a grain of salt. your openess to critique is great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your time jaroldsng!

Sometimes you look at something so long that you start to lose perspective. I knew SOMETHING was off but I just couldn't see it. It helps when there are other eyes fresh to the scene.

Also, when I ask for critique I expect people to be as frank as possible. In my opinion constructive criticism is intended for the artists benefit, to help promote growth. It is never personal and shouldn't be considered as such.

Plus, my Dad was a Sergeant in the US Army. I can TAKE criticism- I ain't no wuss.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @chinadrgn

HAHA! i'm glad to hear that keep that up and you will go great distance, how long have you been zbrushing btw?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jaroldsng- I just took my first Zbrush class last year and have been further learning about the program and 3D since then.
    I actually have been off work for about a month and have been able to really hit the program hard in that time.

I am learning about 3D through Zbrush and just finished a Maya class ,in which I barely comprehended anything I just need to stay ahead of the game and try to be relevant. At the same time I'm trying to improve my base skills and become a better all around artist...I wish I didn't have to sleep or eat

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.