C.O.W. #183_It Has The Traits Of A Flower_Voting!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your Favorite Flower Based Creature!

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Snarfevs

9 13.24%
  • rgeorge

0 0%
  • Fumble

1 1.47%
  • artiphats

0 0%
  • GoldenSerpent

31 45.59%
  • (lark

15 22.06%
  • IVIATT

2 2.94%
  • porcupine

1 1.47%
  • fedde

0 0%
  • konstable

0 0%
  • Rich3

0 0%
  • alive

0 0%
  • J-Sun

9 13.24%
  • Pareeeee

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #183_It Has The Traits Of A Flower - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #183 VOTING

Topic: It Has The Traits Of A Flower

Deadline for the voting: Saturday July 24th 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; July 17th, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: snarfevs

Concept: Inflorescent Flagellant

This beastie mimics a flower to a close approximation and grabs insects with a sticky tonguelike appendage that it whips over its back. It incorporates a claw that can transport the insects between 'tongue' and mouth into its somewhat asymmetric bauplan. Smells like dead fish. Found throughout the southwestern grabens.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snarfevs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: rgeorge

Concept: Arion Orchidium Temptaris
    An obscure species of terrestrial slugs inhabiting the underbelly of the lush green tropical rainforests of the planet Gaelege. Its survival depends on the erratic blooming of the false reproductive appendage on it's tail, resembling an orchid, which it uses to attract its prey, which consist mostly of small insects and worms. This wholly unreliable method of survival has reduced the species' population to a mere 300. Adding to this misfortune of evolution the creature has a propensity to come underfoot of larger forest denizens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Fumble

Concept: Orchid wind rider

This colorful creature hides out in the Orchid flowers hence its colorful disguise. It waits for gushes of wind to carry it from flower to flower.

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Artiphats

Concept: Tropical Crane of Morro

This colorful member of the crane family can be found on the island of Morro. Usually seen in bright pinks and purples, it dives at prey from high above, eating small fish and small vermin alike.

Attachment Manager hasn't been working for me the last couple of days, had to link from my site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: GoldenSerpent

Concept: Floridacapitis tentaculata

Commonly referred to as flower serpents, six-legged flower mimics, or the thing that bit me on the nose when I tried to smell it. Floridacapitis tentaculata is a species that bears a remarkable resemblance to the flower species Arachnorchis tentaculata (Eastern Mantis Orchid). Six-legged flower mimics will sit motionless on the ground or wrapped around a tree branch with their flower-like heads outstretched. The large yellow glands above the top jaw and and smaller yellow glands located at the corners of the mouth both secrete a scent similar to the flower species they mimic. This attracts insects right into their gaping jaws.

Floridacapitis tentaculata lacks eyes as the front of it's head has evolved into a sophisticated olfactory organ and the spikes on its frill and jaw are able to sense minute changes in air currents, they are even able to differentiate between different species of flying insects based on how their flight patterns effect the air.

These small creatures are not especially aggressive but will most likely bite any nose or finger that gets too close to their mouths before promptly scampering away.

Because of their beautiful flower-like appearance many species of flower mimics are highly sought after in the exotic pet trade, leading some species to become endangered.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: chlorophyllius sikokiamorph

Name:  flower round final.jpg
Views: 4726
Size:  177.9 KB

this strange creature is a member of the reptile family. like many other reptiles it has evolved a form of camouflage to hide itself from predators. this species uses its resemblance to a kind of lily (Arisaema sikokianum) found in the damp swampy region it inhabits.

the chlorophyllius sikokiamorph is strange in another way as well. it produces energy and nutrition by a process similar to the chlorophyll found in plant life. its only outside needs are sunlight, and heavy amounts of water of which it drinks and processes at an extremely fast rate. because of this they tend to not last through very dry seasons, and are becoming a very rare endangered species.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: IVIATT

Concept: Petal Oddity

Name:  Cow183-Matt.jpg
Views: 3305
Size:  280.6 KB

Perhaps the least understood of all mobile plantae life is the so called Petal Oddity. Its ability to levitate as a means of locomotion is the subject of much debate in biologist circles worldwide. Some speculate that chemical reactions within the creature generate a kind of elementary lift, while others believe that a secondary 'brain is housed in the creature's back which possesses tremendous mental abilities, including levitation. Much more testing and field observation is required in order to glean information regarding this specimen. The bulb at the end of it's (tail?) is most facinating in that it is the sole means of reproduction for this species. Every 3 planet cycles the Petal Oddity produces a batch of spores which eventually become new offspring.

Last edited by IVIATT; July 15th, 2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: minor touchups to image
    Follow me on Tumblr -> Visual Intrigue
    Available for Commissions! Email me at mhowley@c.ringling.edu

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IVIATT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Agaminae Rosales

Agaminae Rosales is the largest member of the agamid family measuring up to 60 inches from nose to tail. Its natural habitat consists of dry forests and savannahs. They are carnivores and also eat carrion. Its most known feature is the loose folds of skin covering their long necks and that are used during courtship. The lizards are solitary animals but during fall they gather in thousands on the hillsides to mate, attracting biologists aswell as tourists to watch the stunning scene as it looks like the ground is completely cowered with living roses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: fedde

Concept: Petal Eusphyra
    The Petal Eusphyra, or as it is also called, the Petal shark lives in warm seas around areas of fields of underwater ginger flowers where it prays on nectar collecting fish like bee fish and other small fishes.
    The Petal Euspyra's has a small green body, and it's head mimics a large ginger flower to attract as much fish as possible. It's eyes and even it's tongue has evolved into looking like bee fishes to make them think the shark is a popular flower and in that way lure them in close enough to charge at them and close their tooth filled jaws around their bodies.

character-designer fedde
    Sketchbook
    DA
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist:Konstable

Concept: Camo Killer

Description The Camo Killer lives on a tropical planet. It is a carnivore and has numerous methods for killing its prey. It can blend in with its surroundings and mimic other tropical plants to lure in its prey. The Camo Killer has poisonous appendages which can paralyze prey. It has also been know to stalk prey and impale them with it's pointed feet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rich3

Concept: Giant Blossom Elk
    These huge deer-like creatures feed off local infectious plant life. Forming a symbiotic relationship for most of the creature's life, the plant slowly takes hold and blossoms, creating plumage to attract a mate. Eventually the infection causes euphoria and paralysis in the animal, allowing the plant to take over and grow to maturity itself.

Name:  Cow5Final.jpg
Views: 3388
Size:  263.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: alive

Concept: Zerren, warzone harvesters
    your-description
    these peaceful creatures scavenge rocky wastelands for minerals

Last edited by alive; July 15th, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alive For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Orchid Flier
    The seemingly bird-like Orchid Flier is an extremely rare flying amphibian discovered in the lush humid jungles of Loja. Only three sightings have been well documented. Extremely elusive creature; samples (living or deceased) have yet to be collected for study.

Last edited by J-Sun; July 15th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J-Sun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Pareeeee

Concept: Draconis brassia (Brassia Dragon)

This dragon is seen at flying over the Iegan Sea, diving into the water - much like a pelican does - to grab a meal such as fish or even sharks. Will attack humans. The flower-like features and colours are used in courtship displays and territorial disputes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (lark for president.
    You did not just make a creature with a few petals, but realy made a "normal" creature w/ the traits of a flower. Together w/ a nice pose and dramatic weather, that made a wounderfull picture. (gold)

honorable mentioning for:

rgeorge. personally my favorite creature. Inspires a huge tendency to belch "kawaii~!" all over the forums.

and

fumble. in my opinion second best. Also not just a creature w/ 4-5 petals attached to them.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to YUZworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had all my crits written out, then my internet hiccuped and I lost them. I really am not in the mood to write them all out again just now. I will say that I voted for J-Sun because I loved the light airy mood to it, and I could really easily imagine it floating through the air. I thought it was a great embodiment of the concept and didn't overdo it as a flower while still incorporating it really well into the design.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snarfevs: Looks a bit ad hoc, like you just attached a flower to the arse of a critter and rationalised it afterwards. You should try working some more interesting textures and forms into your creatures.

rgeorge: I Like the design and the interesting, slightly disgusting rugosity you've worked into your creature, especially the sundew-looking path on the head. The values are a little harsh and the reach of the creature concerns me - how does it grab prey? Muffinwrangler likes this pic a lot.

Fumble: This would have been my choice if the colours had been a little bit tighter. Very solid concept, like some kind of (believably) airborne nudibranch.

Artiphats: Nice, I really like the head design with what I assume are stamen. Background is simple but very effective. You sorta run out of steam in the wings.

Goldenserpent: Gets my vote, really really well done from functional integration of flower characteristics to linework to colouring.

(lark: I thought this was based around a pitcher plant at first. Checked out the species nominated and I must say that the articulation of the plant in your creature is stunning and well chosen (especially white throat interior vs. green/brown exterior expressed both in the plant and creature).

IVIATT: I like the design and the palette. Certainly looks very leafy however perhaps introducing some more colours would have expressed the floral side a bit better. The self-shadowing of the tendrils on the body = good attention to detail.

porcupine: Obvious and awesome. Has a lot of character and a great palette.

fedde: The concept is weird but fun. It's a shark with a flower for a face, its floral elegance probably cold comfort to the divers it has taken. Rendering could use some work.

Konstable: I think this creature has a nice (bold but clearly floral) palette but otherwise looks like a sneakier flower mantid. I'm interested to know how big it is.

Rich3: I really like this creature - I think it's a great design with good colours. I checked the WIP thread and indeed it does articulate the flower you chose, however it's pretty hard to recognise it as such. Maybe if the tendril bits on the head coalesced into a flower-like configuration enclosing a stigma and stamen rather than being flat it would have been better expressed.

alive: Solid creature, great background and nice painterly style, however it's difficult to recognise the floral elements in this one. But definitely a nice pic.

J-Sun: Really solid concept/anatomy, would have probably voted for it with some tighter rendering. Great integration of topic.

That is all.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snarfevs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my favs are IVIATT (lark and GoldenSerpent
    but my vote went for (lark
    i like the design, the rendering, and the story

29. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snarfevs: I really like your style, the colors are beautiful and the sheen on the creature works very well. The whip-like 'tongue' is clever but overall it doesn't come across as having particularly flower-like traits.

rgeorge: Very nicely rendered, I like how much detail you put into each of those little tendrils. The wrinkles are very good but they seem too isolated, I think it would look better if you had some shallower wrinkles wrap around the body further as well as adding some wrinkles further down it's tail. The red patch on your creature's head is a bit confusing to me as well, is it suppose to be hair? or is that sundew? I think the design would have been stronger if you had either gotten rid of it entirely or incorporated it into the overall design more.

Fumble:Cool concept I like his pronged head, the designs on the wings seem a little too rough and blurry to me. The front of its left wing also seems to be attached just a little too far back on it's body compared to the right wing.

Artiphats: I like how you incorporated the flower aspect into this guy's crest and tail feathers.There is way to much black in your creature's wings. The wing anatomy itself could use some work, I think some photo references would clear it up pretty easily though.

(lark: You've got some great atmosphere in this piece, and I love how you handled the creature's floral lower jaw. The top jaw and the top of the head bothers me though. It doesn't feel like it has a solid underlying skeletal structure, also the eyes are also facing to far forward for a reptile.

IVIATT: I definitely like the design and it fits the prompt well, but the lack of variety in color makes it have a hard time holding my attention. Some patterns on the petals in some warm colors might be nice, or even changing the background to a warmer shade to make him pop out a bit more.

Porcupine
    : I think this turned out well, I'm a bit disappointed to see the thorns and rose-like frill be so orange,since I was really looking forward to seeing the thorns resemble those bright pink-purple rose thorns in your reference picture from the WIPs thread. I also think the thorns could use some shading around their base so that they look more connected to the creature.

fedde
    : I like your take on the prompt, very bizarre, in a good way. I'm not fond of the shark being all scrunched against the side of the picture. This might have worked better if you had the composition be horizontal instead of vertical. Then you could have straightened out the petal shark and maybe even shown more of the flower field and the little bee fish.

konstable: I like the detail you put into your creature's head but its lower body and legs are lacking in detail. Adding some well defined joints would help make them more believable.

Rich3
    : I like this guys back story and the soft color palette you chose but I'm confused by the pose, it looks like it's howling up at the moon, which doesn't seem very elk like, the angle of the horns also seems off considering how it's head is tilted. It's hooves need some harder edges and the background is too abstract and distracting for me.

alive: I like the creature but he doesn't represent the prompt well, he looks more mechanical than biological too me and doesn't seem to have traits of a flower at all.

J-Sun: I really like this little guy I can easily see him gliding from orchid to orchid, like Si-Swe pointed out this little guy has a nice light airy mood about him that I think captures the personality of the softer orchid species he seems to be modeled after. I also like its wings, they are a nice mix of various types of animal wings. I think the tips of the wings could have been a little harder, and I'm not sure if this would work well but I've noticed the flesh of orchid flowers seem to look almost like very fine glitter, if you could emulate that look on your creature I think it would add a bit more depth. I'm not sure if I described that well, but anyway, you get my vote.

Pareeeee: If it eats like a pelican then it's going to need a pouch because of his coloration this guy seems very out of place in a coastal environment, the spots along his arm would look much better if they were given the same amount of detail as the spots along his back. Also try shading and highlighting with colors other than greys and white.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was an interesting round for me. I didn't expect to enjoy the process as much as I did (especially designing the animal). There were plenty of cool designs too, although it was unfortunate that some people couldn't finish.

Personal crit: I suppose people with 30 inch monitors would be able to see it all at once... I agree with Snarfevs, I should've brought more of the flower into it. I also think that I could have thought out the placement of the flower parts more, especially the shoulder bits.

Snarfevs: I like the colour scheme, the warm/cool contrast works. It looks like the surface of the creature is wet as well which I like. Some of the creature could be more developed, like the leg joints.

rgeorge: Fun creature, the way you describe it and the character really sells it even though the flower is stuck on the end. The light and shadow work well too (it looks glossy in places where I imagine it would be slimy ). I think the two bottom petals of the flower look like they should be more wrinkled like the top ones, unless they're meant to be different?

Fumble: Nice style and use of colour/lighting. Totally different design as well. I wonder if it could be more complex, like a more elaborate landing system, or a feeding mechanism.

Artiphats: The flower traits are nicely integrated into the design. The colour scheme and background are good too. I think more detail in the feathers (the wings in particular) to show their structure etc would be good.

GoldenSerpent: Another cool design, that flower fits the creature theme to a tee. The body of the creature looks like it could sit undetected in a flower bed. I think an environment may have helped, or altering the reflection so it looked like it was stood in water.

(lark: Gets my vote. Very well integrated flower design, the rendering is really tight too. Although the anatomy looks good (muscle structure all looks right to me) I think the design could've been pushed further.

IVIATT: Very nice design, original and fits the brief. I saw the sketch in the wips thread, and I reckon more time rendering, and sorting the colour scheme out would've helped.

porcupine: Good colourful design, the background looks good too. The anatomy of the front arm looks a bit odd, like it should bend the other way, but the rest looks fine.

fedde: Interesting underwater theme. The flower might have been more closely linked to the anatomy of the shark though.

Konstable: Very interesting creature. Good colour scheme. It would've been nice to see a more 3d version, in terms of values and the position of the animal.

alive: I can't believe how quick you finished this, my second favourite. The values are good, as is the environment and colour. Some more time spent rendering the creature would've probably got my vote.

J-Sun: The flower traits are nicely incorporated into the design. The creature looks believable too. More time on tightening the rendering up, and perhaps painting a background may have improved it.

Pareeeee: The colour scheme and environment are bold and interesting, I like the water running off the rock under the dragon. I'm not sure how the colours help the creature though, perhaps if there was more green in its environment? The front legs look like they could use more joints too (look at bat wings and such).

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rich3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the crits - but please read the descriptions properly - when I say it DIVES like a pelican doesn't mean it has a POUCH like a pelican lol - read the description

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
    thanks for the crits - but please read the descriptions properly - when I say it DIVES like a pelican doesn't mean it has a POUCH like a pelican lol - read the description
    I assure you I did read the description, I'll admit I misinterpret though I was thinking the pouch would still come into play in their method of diving but I can't find anything on that so I'm not sure where I got that idea from. I still think it's a bit of a curious comparison when only one species of pelican actually dives for prey but whatever, my mistake.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say that all the work in this thread was awesome and I really enjoyed looking through everyones finished work. Really great job everyone! I voted Golden Serpent because I like the over all rendering, simplicity, and concept. I could really imagine that creature blending in some garden someplace and attacking things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you guys!
    I'm currently away on vacation so havent been able to vote or comment and wont be able to participate for couple of weeks or so, but heres some very late crits from me:

Snarfevs - I love your colors and rendering, it looks very polished and professional and the creature is very interesting. (Gotta love something that smells like dead fish ) Its hard to see what kind of enviroment it lives in tho, is it underwater or in a dark forest or maybe someplace else?

rgeorge - Awesome and cute pic. As I said earlier I can very much see it sold on greeting cards or similar, also love the concept, it made me laugh and suits the goofy thingy well. Perhaps background is bit too saturated and bright and steals attention from the creature.

Fumble - Great concept! Its always nice when people manage to make creatures that unique and not just a modified existing animal. I think it would been one of very best this round if you had spent little more time on the rendering, it looks bit rough.

artiphats - Its very eyecatching and beliavble, I started to think about what sounds a bird like that would made so you really created some instant interest there! The shadows looks little flat tho and it would have looked good with some more texture on its body.

GoldenSerpent - Its an amazing picture and I love your story. I imagine thats exactly what would happen if man discovered it for real. The rendering is so good and I love the reflection under him. If I have to find anything to complain about its I dont like creatures without eyes, they creeps me out. That doesnt change how good the image is tho!

(lark - As usual so well performed with amazing texture. I really, really like it.

IVIATT - Another dreamy pic and one of my absolute favourites. I like the softness in the lines and the different take on the creature.

fedde - Nice one. I love the idea with flower fields on the bottom of the sea and the interesting creature. Would have been fun to see a bit more time spent on it.

konstable - I like your creature and the contrast between the green and pink. It looks however like its floating in the air, would have been good with some ground for it to stand on or shadow under its feet or something similar.

Rich3 - I like your concept and creature, its different and interesting. The antlers are also really cool. The background seems little too bright and flat.

alive - Awesome pic and rendering. While I really like your creature it looks like a robot and not a flower but the pic itself is really nice.

J-Sun - This was another of my favourites. the contrast in the pink and the big black eye is great and overall the creature is very flower-like without being just an existing animal with some plant parts. It would have been good with something to make the background more alive I think. Some clouds, grass, a tree branch or something, I cant really put words on it but it looks too flat.

Pareee - I really like his pose and shape. The details and texture is really nice aswell. The head is beautiful with the flower details and the spikes on his neck really fits well. The background seems somewhat out of place tho. Is it a photo or stamp-brushes or something? Its like it doesnt belong together with the creature somehow.

Self-crit - Its not that unique or interesting, simply a modified lizard. I actually was going to drop out from this round after spending couple of days not getting anything done so I stopped working on it. Deadline day I got angry with myself, restarted from the lineart and did the rendering in one day. Considering that I'm happy with the results. I agree front leg is bit off and I really should have made neck and thorns more purple, I think I simply lost track of that doing it in one day.

If I had been in time to vote it would been difficult. There was so many good entrys this round. I think however I would have given my vote to J-Sun, (lark or IVIATT, all three were great pics and good designs!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Sweet damn, those are awesome!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1