Art: Recent Graphic Designs (updated July 12th)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent Graphic Designs (updated July 12th)

Last edited by keith_v; July 12th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
    My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff. On the first one, consider changing some of the type color to match the glasses. Not sure if it will look better but that was my first thought. The two heads thing has sooo many shapes, it would be nice to simplify. Also the image is off ballance to the left, and the type reinforces that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments! On that first pic, it never even occurred to me to change the color of the lettering. I think I only have the jpeg file, but I'll see if I can recolor the white to a bold orange. On that propoganda piece, you're right about the weight and the shapes. I think I had looked at it for so long I couldn't see the mistakes.

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the support cloning thing is too colorful for the dim message it's portraying. It looks like an Olson Twins movie poster.

The rustic wood fence looks like it's from cg textures. It's too generic and the red text doesn't look natural. The brush you used is obviously Photoshop's default round brush.

The imagery in the teleportation ad does not convey the subject.

The brain calender is fine. Ive seen it done before, but it's fine

Over all at best you hit your hitting a low bar set in the 90's. You need to think ahead of everybody else. You need to get inspired. I think that is the only cure for your ailment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cloning poster is supposed to be bright and happy, it's propoganda. To wash out the colors and make the image foreboding or dark would have the exact opposite effect of what propoganda is supposed to do.

The wood fence was my own photo, and I'm not quite sure how an old wooden fence could look generic. Though I will admit the landscape is too overexposed. You're 100% right with the red text. I would have prefered to have done it in Painter instead of Photoshop, and with a tablet instead of a glitchy mouse, but I had to follow my professor's orders on the project.

The teleportation ad was a project for a marketing class. It was designed as one of the first images to be released in the marketing campaign. Instead of showing the teleporter, which could scare or intimidate potential clients away, the image instead focuses on the universal desire to be somewhere else. (Obviously, later ads would introduce the actual teleportation process into the imagery) It was designed as a simple, easy-to-understand message to introduce a new, powerful technology to a potentially nervous or frightened public.

The comment about the brain calendar isn't a crit, but a rather pretentious remark. How could it be improved? What should be changed? Etc. Answering those types of questions would make it a crit.

Your last comment is also a pretentious remark. To say that I need to get inspired to "cure" my "ailment" is one of the most vague and unhelpful comments I've ever read. If, in your opinion, you feel I should focus on designs that are more color-based, or more illustration heavy, or focus on a single image, then I could take the advice seriously. But to tell someone that the only way to produce more effective imagery is to get inspired is like saying to someone who's depressed "The only way to be happy is to find God." It's a cliched piece of advice that doesn't address the problem and doesn't help in solving it.

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't updated this in a while. Here's just a few more things I did back in school...

A beer label:

Book slip:

Newsletter page:

Art exhibition poster:

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the beer label. It looks old and weathered. The illustration is good too. The only thing I might change is the text. It looks a little flat while everything else has shadows and some form. I would like to see the same detail on the name.

The book slip is very simple! Simple can work, but why isn't there more information about the book on the back? I would like to see one or two ghosted images, with low opacity, in the glass on the front to give me an idea of what the book is about.

The newsletter is good. What stands out the most to me is the end of the first column. The film comes in so much there that you only have 1 - 3 words on a line there. I think it's getting hard to read. Maybe move the film strip over slightly and put more words on a line. The curve at the bottom of the right column is much better. Those lines are still of a good length and they are easy to read.

On your poster, I can't read the names on the right! The vibrancy of the red and the blue and the white are clashing. Maybe that wasn't an issue once it was printed, but I think you could have kept the same effect if the names had been where the student numbers are and you left out the student numbers. Or the images could have been spaced a little further apart so that the name and student numbers could have been together above each photo.

These are just some suggestions and my opinions. If they help you solve design problems in the future that's great. If not, no worries.

Wolf Daughter Designs Website http://aubrey-pugh.artistwebsites.com/

"To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." ~ William Shakespeare

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf_Daughter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some critique on your latest post.

First of all, your have to simplify your ideas and simplify your designs, there is way too much going on in each of your designs and as such there is nothing to draw interest from the view. Blank space is a good thing but your trying to fill up every inch of your page with a graphic element. Bring your graphics back to its simplest for, your book cover is the close to it but still needs more thought. The other problem i see with your designs is your typography and type, don't justify text, it screws up the spacing and people won't want to read it. Put a lot more thought into your font choice and creating a type lockup, fonts carry different emotions and meanings with every minute difference in the letters curves and serif's or lack there of, choose a font that reflects your message. Your colour choice is by far your biggest problem, why is everything red? think about your colours, what the emotion/message behind each colour is and whether that matches what your want to say, Also think about whether there is enough contrast in your colours and graphics for it to draw attention and be legible.

There is a lot more i can talk about but my time is money and if your not gonna pay me to teach you design then i'm not gonna teach you

Graphic design, Illustration, Photography. Australia.

LinkedIn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to millz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, Lettering and Typography seem to be your main issue.

You magazine page (Textual Attraction) - sweet jesus let that text breathe - your design elements are over taking the page. In that sort of layout the text is what people care about, you are crowding it out. I'd change the arc of the film graphic - to take up less of the space - give the text more space so you have less hyphenations. The article gets hard to read at the end of the columns since they are so chopping it doesn't really guide ones eyes along to read it.

Also hierchy wise - the title of the column is lost. Initially I thought that the title of the page column was "The Digital Revolution..." Your pull quote is so much larger than the words "Letter from the Editor"

Also rule of thumb on text that I was taught- no more than 3 fonts on one project, and do not mix your serifs and san-serifs. These rules are good to keep in mind, they aren't set in stone but they are good guidelines to keep in mind.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lissa-Quon For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.