Art: What is Graphic Design

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What is Graphic Design

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great question. My interpretation is organized "graphic" communication. It's about clarity and readability. A logo is like a new letter in the alphabet. Good type determines how the reader reads it. Layout instructs the reader what to read and in what order.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Graphic Design is about communication. It's about arranging elements in ways that are pleasing to look at and practical to use. Every logo you see, every package design, every book cover, even every type font; they are all graphic designs that are intended to communicate with you in different ways. The color of the logo, the curve of the letters, the type on the package; each should give you little clues about the product or idea that they represent. For example: did you know that the colors red and yellow make you hungry? Jim Schindler sure did when he created McDonald's Golden Arches! While graphic design tends to be associated with commercialization and promoting products, it is an enjoyable, in depth art form as well.

Often times the line between Graphic Design and Illustration becomes very blurred. Is this a graphic design or an illustration?

What is Graphic Design

Answer: it's both, and the intelligent combination is part of what makes it so pleasing. Even if your focus is in illustration, you would do well to keep an eye on the world of graphic design.

Last edited by Ian Barker; July 6th, 2010 at 11:16 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Using my own definition, I'd say it is the targeted communication of identity, message and status achieved by a manipulation of diverse visual and typographic elements through a variety of media and visual suggestion.

i hope that makes sense, the heat here in Ontario is making me slow(er) tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and as to the question about the dylan poster.

There is placement of some kind of logo or text in the top right corner of the image.

that's graphic design.

The illustrative typeface, is both an illustration and typographic design. The combination of illustration and text to communicate the identity of the subject is also graphic design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liffey hit the nail on the head. Graphic design gets into the idea of art for communication. Art for selling. It's less focused on creating original art (most of the time) and more on arranging art and type to communicate an idea. More often than not, the idea is directly linked to selling.

To me, there are 2 big parts of graphic design. 1) getting attention / being a visual "hook" and 2) arranging content so it's easier for readers to approach.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Out of curiosity, why is GD associated so much with "commercialization and promoting products" these days, anyway? I keep seeing that association crop up, but that was never the focus when I was learning, so I wonder is it a recent thing or was I taught by a different school of thought?

As I've generally understood it, graphic design is all the things that have been mentioned so far, but chiefly communication - and usability and functionality. Designing things so that they'll work properly - in other words, good graphic design ensures something can be published easily and end up looking the way it's meant to look, and that something can be read/used/understood easily.

For instance, designing a book so that it will be easy to read and also making sure the content will fit within a standard page size and count so the printers don't have conniptions. Or designing a web application so it's easy to use, looks consistent across browsers, and works with the code so the programmers won't have conniptions.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fom this thread, my take on the relationship between illustration, graphic design, and (for lack of a better term) fine art:

Name:  venn.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  30.0 KB

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Out of curiosity, why is GD associated so much with "commercialization and promoting products" .
    Because GD is fundamental to marketing, and marketing is everywhere. Most graphic designers will at some point, if not most points, end up working on promoting commercial products and trying to communicate the value of the product to a target demographic.

GD is also associated with public services, information, and helpful signage

What is Graphic Design

its not just the creation of the pictogram, and the accompanying typography. Its where you put the sign on the wall to most effectively communicate where the washrooms actually are, how visible you make it in relation to the space that it exists in (no point being huge if its on the wall of a small corridor, but hanging from the ceiling at Wal-Mart, it needs to be larger)

This particular sign uses braille also, although im not sure how the blind person is supposed to know there is a sign to read there in the first place.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Because GD is fundamental to marketing, and marketing is everywhere. Most graphic designers will at some point, if not most points, end up working on promoting commercial products and trying to communicate the value of the product to a target demographic.
    I take it this means most GD work these days is in advertising and marketing...

I guess that makes sense, considering the publishing industry ain't what it used to be. It's funny, because in school the design classes I took focused on book and magazine design, and for work I've mostly done web design and application design. So marketing usually ends up being a lesser consideration for me, but I'm assuming that's totally not typical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't say GD is limited to just advertising and marketing. There is certainly work out there that fits in an 'art' category that has no commercial purpose.

I do agree with the infographic Elwell presented. I originally was a film student in school but, felt like the program was focused too much on software and hardware - training technicians. Instead, I pursued GD in school because it was the program that felt like it focused the most on the elements & principles of design. I still have a passion for filmmaking but, design is the vehicle that informs my visual approach.

-gl

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm writing a LOOOONG explanation of graphic design, where it falls in relation to other related fields and why, and the typical work of graphic designers in the various visual fields. I'm also trying to put a massive flow chart together that might help explain away the confusion so many of us have about the term "graphic design." It's going to take at least a week, so keep cool and don't argue or get stupid.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The whole DADA movement would hate you all...

=[

The term "Graphic Design", as far as i'm concern, is an outdated term that completely ignores the state of the commercial world of visual communication.

In a lot of respects things are similar, but also in a lot of ways the industry has melded into other groups.

I would say that "Design" is the more appropriate term, in which case you are talking about presenting information, ideas, and images in a meaningful way (through any sort of external medium).

Graphic design's goal is to produce work that defines itself based on the innate visual language of the society it reflects.

Design, in practice is based on about 11 core points:
    Form
    Repetition of elements
    Structure/architecture of elements
    Similarity of elements
    Gradation of elements
    Radiation of elements
    Anomaly within the elements
    Contrast of elements
    Concentration (focal point)
    Visual Texture
    Use of Space

Elements of Design are either conceptual, visual, relational, practical, or typographic.

These concepts of design are not unique to the field, but they are the basis of all art...which is why i believe that the essence of design is at the heart of any sort of art.

But honestly trying to define design is like trying to determine a roach from a waterbug....both of them get squished if i see them in my apartment...so i dont care.

Last edited by JakehC; July 8th, 2010 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you also forgot Composition, Component, Concept, Economy, Hierarchy, etc. *really wish I had that visual language sheet...from my flamboyant ass-clown of a teacher...awesome teacher but...a prick*

and I like Typography...when you have a teacher who has tattoos, likes Rammstein, and plays a 400-yr. old metrosexual male vampire (yes she's female) in an ongoing web episode show...and the fact that she was a Typo-nut and taught it well...couldn't help but appreciate Typography and other things that went with that class.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lolbbq View Post
    The whole DADA movement would hate you all...
    Actually I know enough about dadaism to respect them. With that said Dadaism was not about pleasing a client or even communication. It was about blissful frustration and organized confusion. Dadaism was a reaction to a hostile political environment, due to a bankrupt economy (sound familiar). Dada was intended to be anti-propaganda. The Bauhaus school is the definitive influence of graphic design, not Dada. Dada comes from Bauhaus but the two are very different. Same means different intent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you all..in my view Graphic Design will face almost entirely of printed materials, brochures, catalogs, envelopes, posters, magazines, newspapers, etc. I would be surprised if a well-balanced figure includes at least a little web design well, but certainly not a large part of their studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it depends on the context. For example, I'm a web designer. I design websites in terms of their visual layout and placement of graphic elements. I use Photoshop and Illustrator almost exclusively. Yes, I can do some basic HTML coding (I used to create marketing email blasts...no, not spam, but the stuff you opt in to), but I'm mainly creative and visual.

But because people automatically assume that I'm a web developer and then ask me about Javascript and PHP, I often tell people that I'm either a "creative designer" or I'm a "graphic designer for the web."

I think GD is a general term, like saying "I'm in the Army." Yeah, you're in the Army, but being in the army isn't specifically what you do. I think people say graphic designer as a general term, but within that there are sub categories, like web designer, print designer, production designer, etc. GD is a general term that indicates that you work with shapes, colours and spatial relationships, whether there's a marketing/advertising purpose present or not.

Just my 2-cents.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cozmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, seeing that a lot of you are experienced designers, right from the core, I have a question:

Does Graphic Design exists just to impress people?

Why I ask this somewhat silly question is because a lot young people thought that designing is to only impress, not to be conceptual (and others mentioned above) as most designers, including myself, are taught for years. I want reassure myself that I'm not straying away from core design.

I wanna be better at digital arts each day... if possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the phrase "visual communication" basically art that explains an idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A tweeter found this link about Graphic Design:

http://observatory.designobserver.co...tml?entry=8727

Very interesting.

I wanna be better at digital arts each day... if possible.

Members who have read this thread: 1