Art: Concept Designs for BBC Childrens Sci-Fi Comdey show - "HOUNDED"

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept Designs for BBC Childrens Sci-Fi Comdey show - "HOUNDED"

Hi,

I was fortunate enough to get the gig for designing around a dozen elements for a childrens show in the U.K.

It was a lot of fun and I manage to produce some fairly memoranle and unique designs over the three month period I worked on the show.

I am primarily a 3D Artist, I did study traditional design to degree level but since entering the CGI Industry 15 years ago my drawing skills have suffered and I now find it easier and quicker to concept directly in 3D. I had roughly 4 working days on each design and needed to get a placeholder model done asap for the VFX guys to do animatics hence the lack of beautiful digtal illustrations! ;-)

A bit of background on the show;

Rufus Hound (realname) is a TV presenter on a kids science show and each day he gets beamed into an alternate reality where he must face his nemesis , Dr. Muhahaha, and foil his regular plans to destroy/invade Earth using some fairly unconventional weapons. every time Rufus succeeds however Mu just hits his red button and time re-winds forcing Rufus to live the day all over again. Bizarre?, just a bit but the kids seem to be loving it over here and it`s a great feeling to have people come up to me at my kids school and say how much they are enjoying my designs.

The following are promotional renders of the elements I created for the BBC.

The Starsheep Enterprise.
    The original name for this was "The Wool ship" and they just wanted a ball of wool. Once the settled on the name the rest seemed obvious to me

Scissor Ships
    Fast ships that chase after the wool ship

Mu Force One

I had to put the fist on it....they made me ;-)

Suk-O-Matic 3000
    Mu s` first mega-weapon.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah cute ^^ When is it airing ?

Deviant Art Gallery - Blog - Twitter
    Welcome to my world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its actually on Episode 6 this Friday. Trouble is it it`s only viewable in the UK. even IPlayer (the BBCs Netplayer) wont work overseas. I am hoping it will get syndicated but you can never tell with these kind of shows.

Thanks for the comments. ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

S.S. - SOLAR ONE

Here`s the `S.S. - Solar One` from last Fridays Ep. Yes, it looks a bit like "that ship" but the plan was not to get sued!....;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff - I think the scissor ships are particularly clever in design. I am amazed the Beeb got away with the SS_Solar One though, I know it doesn't look like 'that' ship but I bet there is one that looks pretty damn similiar in the trek universe. I thought Rufus Hound was a filth monster as well.

'Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends' Francis Bacon
    Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=179977

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL, he was a decent enough guy when i met him on set. It`s a shame I couldn`t use some of the original Solar One designs....way too Trek to be honest. I think thats what worried them!

Still heres the last one for a while........ THE DEATH PIZZA!!

I knew I wanted the job when the first task the mentioned was a "death star like pizza". I originally had the fist ship as just one slice of this; it would have been fun to see it assemble itself out of a dozen ships like star destroyers but covered in "cheese and pepperoni" ;-)

Next update will be in a month when my final asset airs, or sooner if I feel lucky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just watched an episode and it is surprisingly entertaining, although I don't think I am their core demographic! The Mu Force One looks great in action by the way

'Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends' Francis Bacon
    Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=179977

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL. those are definitely comedic sci fi space ships. well done

BYYYUUUAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers!m thanks for the kudos. So nice to get feedback like this.
    @ village idiot I was really surprised at how appealling to adults the finished product was. i expected something a bit more infantile but feel the actors have really got the most out of the scripts and the writers did a good job giving me some really original briefs to deliver on.

REALLY pleased it has moved over onto BBC1 and re-starts its run today Friday at 4.15pm....means we can actually get the ratings this time, fingers crossed for a second series ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA! very cool stuff. that pizza ship had me cracking up!

your designs look really awesome. great work! I really enjoy the lighting, textures and technical details that add a believable but also playful look to them. I do feel though that the first design (sheep design) is the weakest one. I can't stop seeing the enterprise when i look at the SS Solar One. It's too iconic of a design to reference without it conjuring that image.

great stuff though!

Concept Art Illustrator and Designer for Hire.
    http://goo.gl/YxUhF
    http://www.tommeldesign.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @DimMakm thanks for your comments nice to know I hit the mark on what I wanted to do.

I think it`s a personal preference thing regarding which one was best. I like the Starsheep, it`s one of my faves, as a design for a kids show it has all the right elements and I think it has a healthy homage to Nick Parks style which I love. As for the S.S. Solar one the brief was get us as close to a Star Trek ship without getting us into serious trouble, so judging by your comments It`s a win/win on that one as well. ;-). It`s a shame that the show is`nt viewable outsid eof the U.K. as you would probably see why things were done the way they were to fit into the other design elements . the sets were built well before I got onboard to concept so I had to have a certain look and feel to my stuff to blend with the live action.well, blend as well as you can on the budget we had...;-)

Thanks for your comments it`s always interesting hearing peoples opinions on the designs I did.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love it! Especially the pizza ship They're really fun, fullfill the sci-fi cool tech factor but remain realy fun and original.

It was humor like that, that I loved in my favorite cartoons in grade school (Darkwing Duck ,Ren & Stimpy etc) that you didn't see as much as things got grittier after the late 90s. Excellent work bringing a sense of good humor back into the broody dark 7 year old demographic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh.. the pizza ship rocks dude. cool work and congrats on actually getting work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to all posters!, I really appreciate the positive feedback from you all.

Thank You

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Planet Nod Dream=Station

Hello again!

As promised here is the final concept I did for the series.

It was one of the first briefs I was given and was simply - " high above the Planet Nod a space-station shaped like a four poster bed is in orbit."

Ladies and Gents - The Planet Nod Dream-Station........

Members who have read this thread: 1