What devices are there for portable digital drawing?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What devices are there for portable digital drawing?

So I really like DS Colors and find myself playing with it a lot on the train.

I can imagine buying something larger and more fully-featured for digital drawing on the go - buuut I don't have a clue what's there, what's good and what's recommended.
    What portable options are there to run something Photosoph-esque? It sould have a touch screen and Ideally be larger than the DS

Slate PC?
    iPad? (which AFAIR has the processing power of an egg)
    Specialized devices?
    Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

My ConceptArt sketchbook.

My sketch blog, where I post drawings and talk about them, sometimes interesting.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Xitu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats your budget?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    500 $ for something good and useful.
    1000 $ for something spectacular.

I guess there's not much, right...?

My sketch blog, where I post drawings and talk about them, sometimes interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just gonna throw some suggestions but Im not the best to ask for this sort of thing.

Theres a thread about iPad drawing and you could purchase a stylus and Sketchbook pro. Check out this thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187472

I think a 12" cintiq may be barely in budget.

But if you really feel the need to give somebody your money, you could do what alot of artists do and use a pencil and sketchpad. :p there are very deserving charities out there. Yes I know, low blow, but really, not too many professionals recommend carrying a cintiq around to draw. And almost all of them highly recommend pencil and sketchpad. Its also more cost effective just to use a laptop and wacom tablet.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm assuming you already have a decent laptop. If not you are going to need to start there.

I have a Cintiq 12WX and it is far from portable. I can take it places and use it but frankly it's much more trouble than it's worth.

I have an old Wacom 3x5 that I use when I'm out and about and wanna work digitally. I don't recommend something that small though. An Intuos 4 is a fine investment and many accomplished artists use that as their primary tablet. I'm probably gonna pick one up myself soon to replace my old beater... it's time to upgrade my carry around tablet.

All that said... regardless of what digital equipment you are carrying around you should never leave home without a proper pen/pencil sketchbook. There are just too many moments where I see something that I have to commit to paper. Or when busting out my lappy just isn't practical for time or space reasons.

Good luck!

~Anthony

Always Aspire.
    Anthony Sullivan - Writer, Artist, Software Engineer
    My Sketchbook
    My DA

*** TONS OF TUTORIALS ***

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redpandafire, if you were expecting to insult me with that, then sorry, I fully concur with you
    I'm not one to throw my cash away at a whim, and if there are no good options, then I'll just keep using my tried-and true sketchpad/pencil/ketchup stains technique.

And I was really inquiring about something slate-shaped to whip out and doodle, so a laptop + tablet wouldn't really fit the bill.

Thanks for the replies, both of you! I'll stick with DS Colors then for making some simple color compositions on the train

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For slate shaped, whip out and doodle, type of devices you are going to be limited to something like an iPad or a tablet PC. I know a couple of artists that use tablet laptops but even the good ones seem to lack essential features that my cintiq or an intuos have.

Good luck with your art!

~Anthony

Always Aspire.
    My Sketchbook
    My DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for bringing up the subject BTW. I just bit the bullet and ordered an intuos4 medium for my laptop bag.

~Anthony

Always Aspire.
    My Sketchbook
    My DA

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Been using an LE1600 but will be upgrading to an LE1700 - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=187509

They're pretty light considering and you can probably find an LE1600 for about 300 which is still cheaper than an iPad with at least 256 levels of pressure sensitivity. Sketchbook Pro and Sai Paint work pretty well on it. I had few problems running the older versions of Painter on it too. CS works alright on it, even the thin-app versions of CS3 and higher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use VSPainter on an Xperia X1, and also have an N97 that apparently has a decent program. The best one however is for the Nokia N900 - I believe the device even has pressure sensitivity. I can't remember the name of the program but it does custom brushes, opacity etc.

Members who have read this thread: 2