Great CHOW. My sketch right here

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gdlr For This Useful Post:

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this topic. Sky Pirates rock! I'll try my best to finish this piece. Inspired by the famous Captain Bloody Mary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niiiccceee stuff !
    Here's a start :

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Mark:
    A little static maybe, think they are in the sky, boarding other flying ships with a lot of wind, maybe that helps.

Thanks for the nice comments on my last step. Though I liked his look, the overall thing was kinda lame, he was just standing there. Then I thought, hey, its a sky pirate, why not let that fat bastard fly ?

and here he is, wearing some kinda jetpack and boosting through the sky with a giant canon in his hand. I think his pants will be a little more unusual, but I like the direction this is going. just gives more room for the ship or other things.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vaejoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty much done, not sure about the shadow so if there are any lighting inconsistencies (glaring ones) please point it out. It also got a bit mucky, so I want to know what i could do to clean up the image (I've already erased the smudges in the original.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhdnor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive entries already.
    Here is what popped into my mind , still a long way to go.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Feil Magnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the Paintover staticpen very comprehensive and helpful

i going to takle some anatomy and return to the sketch this evening

btw tons of great sketches paintings here already

JanJager :thanks ye i gonna see what i do with the cape - i actually dont want it to reach out of the frame too much - maybe i expand the the frame i have to see what works composition wise (given iam able to comprehend a good composition ^^)

your wip looks pretty slick so far i ilike the details and the sense of depth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my idea for this challenge......

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Obliviongrin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are some entries that stood out for me:

Mark Tarrisse
    - Nice start man! I like the composition. Watch his left arm though, its looking a little small in the upper regions compared to the rest of him. Actually everytime I look at it I'm not sure, so maybe that's not the issue, but for somer reason I feel awkward in that area. Good entry, can't wait to see how it goes!

Vaejoun - Sweet sketch man, very dynamic. No crits at this point, just make sure you get his right hand looking perfect before you get too far!

JanJager - Nice work man, looks like your about finished?

dragon4lunch - I like your approach a lot, taking it way in the future and working a scene up in the clouds. Good stuff looking forward to see it progress!

vertebra - Really enjoy the perspective your taking here, just watch the shoulders getting too hunched and close to his head.

For some damn reason I couldn't finish my last CHOW entry, seems like a common problem around here. Still working to break that. Here's my wip for this round. Still need to work out the ship in the background, among other things on the character. Trying a different style here, disregarding proper proportion haha...uhhhh idk but I like it so far.

Name:  sketch.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  93.4 KB Name:  block-in.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  110.3 KB Name:  refined1.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  147.2 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Bit of colour work done. Just fiddling - changed the pose a bit etc. Rockin it half normal style, half sci fi PEW PEW LASERS. Bazinga.
    * On a side note is anyone else having trouble with the site? Being a massive pain in the ass uploading images and half the time the page is timing out... *

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephistoau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O, I really like some of the designs here.
    I just have my character in a skimpy outfit . Any crits would be great.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jac-k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update. I didn't get much work done. I'll polish this up somemore today.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the design I'm going with. Now I've gotta plan the actual piece.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here goes mine. The device in the back is a jetpack. I will add more stuff in the background to help defining the topic.

------------------------------------------------------
    CGportfolio: http://joseart.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Blog: http://jose-artundo.blogspot.com/

Toon blog: http://joseartoon.blogspot.com/

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klesk33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mephistoau - Her shirt would not be cinching into her cleavage like that. if you just keep the breasts as they are but draw the shirt as a straight line in between the two breasts it would look better. P.S. she totally reminds me of young Touched by an Angel lady that is in the original Battlestar.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one has been a bit of a struggle. Any c&c is welcome.
    Name:  SKETCH 4a.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  237.1 KB
    Thanks,
    Glen

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ostrander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

MasterTroglodyte - I like where you are going with this piece - all the tech suit the theme - but don't forget the pirate angle. At this moment it has a more military approach than piraty. But keep it up!

Vajoun - Yours are getting better and better. But I really like this one - the jetpack idea's brilliant! Slash some colour down!

Sentinel - I hope you finish - the wide angle works for you. He's one handsome pirate - can I keep him?

Madsamuri2240 - Hehe - I like you're concept though - hooker or not

Twentyone - keep it up - very modern; private gone bad! Nice...

Obliviongrin - digging the perspective - your concept is very dynamic. Can't wait to see where this is going...

So this is where I'm at. I'm really hoping to pick up on any major mistakes now, so crits and comments are very welcome. Thanks!

Name:  CSPprogress4.JPG
Views: 2747
Size:  327.7 KB

Last edited by Refschaufscheik; July 7th, 2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: image wrong size

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Refschaufscheik For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress mates.
    Ostrander it came out nice.Maybe work some more to clearly separate him from the background because it may gives a little feeling that he is not that far from the mountains and still he is so taller than them.So maybe it needs more depth or a series of smaller objects lost in the depth(rocks or whatever).It will also be a trail to move in the second(background) part which also contains the sky element(skyship)

here some more progress

34. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jac-k: Nothing wrong with skimpy outfits

Let's see: I do like the bubble gum version, her smirk right now is not as hot - but as you probably know - getting the face right and to figure out the expression - is one of the toughest parts. So many option. She could be blowing up her pony tail, for example. Nice attitude. Of course here I am, where my captain just looks over to the side with a neutral/confident look.
    Maybe you want to experiment with different holster positions. A cool, low-hanging one might be sweet.
    Maybe she could hold some gloves in her right hand. Maybe a cool flag or graphic element...

That said, it's a promising start what you have there and your rendering skills are evident. Looking forward to the finished piece!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jasper: Hey, thanks man. Appreciated.
    As far as comments/crits go: Right now your character is depressing, because of his terrible state. He doesn't seem to have well functioning arms/hands and why are his legs so short? He is probably supposed to be a survivor of a terrible war-incident. But if people can give him cool robot legs - why not make 'em nice an long, less bulky?

Ostrander: Technically I bet you can make this image into a pretty solid piece, as I can tell you're not new to painting. Skill is evident, no doubt!
    Here some things to consider:
    - If he bandanna is blowing in the wind like a maniac, why is his feather just sitting there? You better not miss something like this - in the final piece! People pick up on things like that.
    - Secondly: You should try an push the design overall. Right now there is nothing we haven't seen before. The flying ship in the background looks like the Weatherlight from Magic the Gathering, with its wings.

The pirate himself, which of course is the important element for this topic, has nothing special or particularly fancy in his outfit, expresion, face or presentation. To make this into a top vote getter (or a strong portfolio piece) you'd have to manage to paint this guy with ridiculous skills.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    klesk33: Cool deign, interesting combination of tech and pirate

Sidharth Chaturvedi: I like the pet eagle idea, maybe get som reference though for its wings

Beelow: the drawing looks pretty tight but the colors feel a little washed out. The design definitely says pirate but i think its lacking some Sky Pirate, maybe after you finish the background it will help

jac-k: looks good so far, i like the pose. Her forearms seem a little long. The background needs some more details, like some cool clouds, other sky ships or maybe just some ropes hanging from her ship. I think she needs some medals or a cool hat or something just so she looks more like a captain and not just another crew member

Mephistoau: The pose feels pretty stiff since you have 3 out of the 4 limbs completely outstretched and her right foot (our left) looks pretty awkward try taking a picture of your own foot in that position to help with the posing. You have a pretty traditional looking pirate and the a very sci-fi looking weapon and it feels out of place. I would say either give her a more traditional gun or bring some more of that sci-fi element into other areas of the picture

Jasper: Interesting design, doesn't really look like a pirate more like a robot or cyborg, but maybe the environment you put him in will help explain it better

Obliviongrin: Nice composition, really like the way you have him posed. Having other people in the foreground below him really makes him seem like a powerful leader. His right foot looks a little small and the posing of his left leg is a little awkward but that will probably be fixed when you go to color it.

Feil Magnus: The light clouds behind his silhouette is nice. The proportions look a little off, his head is big and his arms are a little short. The contrast is nice but maybe try and include some more mid-tones unless your going for a more comic book style of rendering.

rgeorge: The composition feels pretty stagnant because all the background elements are either perfectly horizontal or vertical, try and work with perspective and create angles that lead the viewer around more deliberately

Vaejoun: Nice start, like the gestural line work a lot.

Mark Tarrisse: looking good so far, nice composition. Try and indicate a stronger light source and his arms look a little short.

Chiko: nice sketches so far, try and get a powerful silhouette

gdlr: Are you using a tablet? Turn on pen pressure so you dont just get a contant thick line its very difficult to sketch that way. Think more in terms of general shapes at first and ignore detail

twentyone: the berret makes him look more like a military commander than a sky pirate captain, show some more of his body... don't cut off his hands

Rarebit: the values and mood are looking pretty solid already. His design is a little bland at the moment, maybe give him some armor or something to break up the sweatshirt shape some more

delightful_piffle: dont exactly understand how he is holding himself up like that. The star at the end of his wand looks a little cheesy. Look at some reference for the posing and details like the wheel of the ship

madsamuri2240: Looks pretty ambitious, but it looks promising so far...im a little confused at what his right (our left) leg is doing

vertebra: looking good so far, like the low camera angle.

MasterTroglodyte: Nice values...the right side (our left) of his vest is too simple in shape, try and make it conform more to his body. Same thing with the legs, try and feel the anatomy underneath his cloths

staticpen: Try taking the pose yourself and taking a picture, it will definitely help with the positioning of his arms. I think having two different mechanical legs like that is a little distracting, it puts more focus on the legs rather than the rest of the character.

dragon4lunch: Looks very nice so far, i like the style. Separate the values more where the side of her body and cape meet, its hard to tell where one ends the other begins.

JanJager: Looks great so far, definitely screams Sky Pirate Captain. I like all the stuff you have hanging off of him and the scrolls coming out of his gloves adds a lot of depth

BettyHime: Cool idea making him a kid, interested to see what your sketch looks like.

nikaile: Nice composition, looks like your going to have some cool steam punk stuff going on with that wheel. The position of her arm is a little awkward. I understand that its bent but it looks like her elbow attaches to her shoulder.

staticpen: Looks great, you've got some really nice atmosphere going

Vaejoun: I think the composition works, just watch out not to clip off his elbow on the right side

AvisNocturna: I like the design, work on the anatomy some more, his foot kicking forward isnt at the right angle. Where his hand is holding the rope for some reason is creating some depth problems for me, it makes the ship look like its close to him and really small

Ishren: I like the pose, try not to use so many lines to describe one curve it makes it look messy. look forward to seeing it at a later stage

Sentinel.: Love the horizontal composition and i like the face, can't wait to see more

Cameli: Great sketches, i like the second a lot

Cydonian: Cool idea having him at the top of the ship there, you chose a pretty tough perspective, the proportions are off ... his legs seem really short. The ellipse of the tower he is standing in is kinda wobbly, try flipping the canvas horizontally and it will probably become more apparent

zypherax: Interesting design, almost seems like a ghost or a zombie. the head is a little small, also I'm not sure if its male or female. Try and develop a stronger light source.

maeshanne: Interesting idea, like the sketch although the arms seem a little awkwardly posed

richart: the silhouette looks kind of odd when you have all his limbs close to his body like that. Is he wearing a glider? maybe show some straps around him so we know its attached to him

Fumble: the pose it a little stiff and his neck is pretty long, nice values though. Maybe try and bending his legs a little more they are a little to out straight

kingkostas: nice colors, the bottom of her dress seems a little too solid and doesn't look like cloth, i thought she was standing in a barrel or something at first.

reginanegra: interesting compositon, try taking some reference shots to help with anatomy and proportions

Lianti: looking good, seems more like a regular guy than a sky captain though. Extend the city in the background above the platform he is standing on, right now its creating a tangent

Ostrander: really nice, i love that initial sketch... i think there is something the rendered ones are lacking that the sketch has. Also i like his legs better when they are together rather than spread apart

MJ_Alcazar: nice design so far, her peg leg is pretty interesting. Any plans for a background?

gunnarsson: I dont know if this would work as a concept for a game or movie but i really like where its going. Love his face

Aly Fell: Nice design, love all the details. The pose seems a little forced though, like someone asked her to take that pose rather than her just posing like that naturally

Broken Lawnmower: Nice composition, and the pose looks pretty interesting

NoShot: I like it so far, propeller hat is a nice touch. Maybe try and give him something more decorative so he looks like the captain

LA-Fairy: the design needs some more work, seems more like a regualr crew member than the captain

Truepinkas: Interesting design, i like her mask... try and get a tighter drawing before coloring and rendering, elements in the background like the handrails look sloppy

Pixeltuner: really nice, love the colors and atmosphere, his shoulders look a little narrow though

CKLamb: strong silhouette but im not sure he looks like a sky pirate

Gominoid: good start, his lower half seems a little short, or his arms are too long

pacha: nice silhouettes, try and vary their shapes more though they are all pretty similar

Refschaufscheik: cool sketch, her foot doesn't seem like its planted on the guys hand, maybe take a reference shot to get the posing to look more convincing

Reymus: I like the oriental influence, posing could be a little more relaxed, he looks pretty nervous about something

Rusty: beautiful sketch, is she going to be a naked Sky Pirate Captain

Lazaruskitty: really solid drawing so far, love the gun arm... look forward to seeing more

hunchback: good start, values are looking strong

and here is an update of mine, gotta stop using so much black

40. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had some more time to push this further.....

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Obliviongrin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time doing one of these D:

I hope it's not too ..something. Yeah.

God, I totally started drawing every part of this on the wrong parts of the page.

Attempting thumbnails for a full piece tonight.

I'll try and comment on everyone else's later ?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Seithe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some great work here

here where I'm am so far, I should really start with the clothing design :p
    thanks Howie for the comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some fantastic stuff here, everytime i look through i keep realizing how much more i have to push mine to try and keep up. fixed some of the drawing problems hopefully i dont get lazy and not fix the rest before i get to deep into it.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to madsamuri2240 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an update.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to LA-Fairy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, my first attempt at one of these in a long time, good topic

Sketched out an idea so far, any crits welcome.

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RB2610 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm seeing really good work here.Here are some quick action gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa Even more stuff!The progress is awesome guys! Heres the blocked in colors , hope u like em!

im also thinking of puting some cannons under the wings xD

54. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cameli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I made a boy

Okay every time i think of pirates i have an idea of a heavyset ginger guy with a beard and a sharp knife in his teeth. Since I haven't drawn a guy in a while this was...interesting. Dunno if i'll finish . Oh and by the way I went a different direction to the ginger pirate

Last edited by buffichar; July 7th, 2010 at 08:27 PM.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to buffichar For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.