Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey through University.

Thanks
    Started the portrait of my Best Friend and his girlfriend, any critique would be greatly appreciated as it shall be a surprise gift for them. The under-sketch is only a rough and will be corrected during the rendering / blocking out process, but it would still be good to have any problems pointed out

Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wow some of your sketches show really good dynamics!
    as for the portrait, i suggest you lay out the colors very roughly before you start rendering them!
    so you can concentrate on shape and value better, which is essential for the whole rendering to work at all!
    and dont hesitate with painting over the lines there, you can always correct it afterwards, when rendering.
    make the midtone a bit less saturated and a bit more orange. maybe give them different varieties in skintone from each other? also the skintone in itself should change. (get rosier on the cheeks etc.)
    try to look for hints of color in the photograph that differ from the overall color.

Thanks
    Wu!: Honestly, thanks! I agree with everything you said - they do have really quite pale skin but i'm sure theres more colours there than i havn't found yet. Thanks again i'll go back over the rendering i've done and start roughing in the colours.

more to come!

[EDIT] heres some progresss with roughing out the colours first, i agreess much better going straight into rendering. Also at first i found it really haard to see any different colours in the skin, but after taking a closer loook there are loads! Thanks again WU i'm much more confident with this piece now.
    Last edited by glaudarien; August 4th, 2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: attachment

Thanks
    Some more progress on the portrait piece, mostly finished the blocking-in phase however i'm going to take a break from it and work on something else, so that when i come back to work on it i may see a few mistakes that i wouldn't have seen before.

Thanks for all feedback so far, its appreciated!

Thanks
    Hey guys, quite a large update for today i must say *Wink wink*

Anyways.... heres an update on the portrait piece, mostly tweaked proportions a tad and started rendering the girls face (mostly around the left eye/ cheek / nose) the rendering stage is making it look a tad smooth in paces, but i'll be correcting that in the detail phase by adding the skin pores etc.. hopefully it will all come together in the end, but i am much happier that i've blocked out all of the colours first

Also theres lots of studies, been revisiting my Hogarth Dynamic Figure Drawing book recently so thought i'd do some sketches from that and also trying to refine my gestures so they are actually gestures instead of scribbles and i am slowly getting much more confident with them!

Also a strange unreferences power-rangers'esk helmet man drawn in a bumpy car.. D:

Feedback would be AWESOME especially on the gestures and portrait, thanks!

P.S. I really want to get good at hatch / cross hatch rendering, which i see in many of the 5 star sketchbooks (such as Kratos i believe) and am very inspired by - buy have no clue how to do it , any tutorials or tips on that would also be great!

Thanks
    Yo dude! Nice updates!

Just a few crits:

On the first page of your studies, the one with boobs - they look kind of attached to the body artificially. I'm sorry if I sound rude. The breast does not swell so abruptly, it's gradually building up in mass.
    I also think you should work more on your female form - right now, I think you're used with drawing males, right? IMHO you're using too much muscular detail with them girls, or at least that's what I get from your studies.
    I also think you should work out more on the anatomy and relative size of muscles, as well as proportion regarding the upper torso area.

Thanks
    mary-cherry-me: Heey thanks for the crit again!
    I agree with you on all of those points, i'm still rushing a lot of these studies and should really be paying more attention to the key points - but thats no escuse. Thanks again i'll pay more attention to what you've said for the studies i'm doing at the moment.

I'll post some soon

Thanks
    Heyy guyss

The strangest thing happened to me today. I've ran out of mechanical pencil lead for a while now and only just bought some more, however i decided i would buy 2B lead instead of HB / 2H which is what i normally use. Oh my god - it makes the world of difference and i actually feel as though my drawings look 10x better now, it may or may not be the lead making the difference but i'm feeling much more confident now! Let me know if you see a difference, or it may just be my mind playing tricks on me..

Hogarth anatomy studies and more gestures / poses. Also some more work on the portrait, rendered most of the left and bottom parts of her face so far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glaudarien View Post
    P.S. I really want to get good at hatch / cross hatch rendering, which i see in many of the 5 star sketchbooks (such as Kratos i believe) and am very inspired by - buy have no clue how to do it , any tutorials or tips on that would also be great!
    I could't see that anyone answered this question, so i thought i'd try and help. Crosshatching, essentially is just showing the planes of shadow and light, but instead of making 'blocks' of dark shadow it is more gradient-esque.

i don't really think it's good to start thinking about different crosshatching techniques, without fully understanding and being able to use the generic style. (as in, Lines facing one way, then lines on tip facing another to create a darker shadow).

To be able to use crosshatching effectively it all depends on your understanding of the bone structure, in an anatomical sense. But this applies to anything you wish to shade.

It's probably best if i show you this picture.

My Journey through University.

You can see from the picture that the process of the crosshatching used is nothing that you can't do, but the way he implements it depends on your understanding on how the structure changes the darkness and direction of the crosshatching.

Taking the cheek bone as an example. You can see he has used many layers of crosshatching to define the area of shadow. He then leaves the areas that get light white so the contrast of the two are maximum which makes the features more defined and gives structure to the face.
    In other words, less is more when it comes to Cross-hatching.

Just thought actually, one tip would be to draw the outline of a face so you can see the chin and other areas where the bone sticks out but don't draw them with lines. You then could practise your cross-hatching by using it to illustrate a line, and making the brain believe there is one there (I'll try and explain better if need be.)

really do hope i helped, then again.. someone better could (would ) be more help.

Apart from this, i really do like your sketchbook. I try to check yours everyday, as it is really inspirational. Lovely Hogarth studies.

Thanks
    Tikeshe: Hey mate! Thanks for the feedback, the image didn't seem to work but the information still made sense mostly - I believe i understand the concept of it more now. Also i'm glad to hear you find my sketchbook inspirational, its very encouraging! Thanks again

Only just got up so nothing to upload yet - will be some updates in a few hours, cya then!

Thanks
    Unfortunately no anatomy studies for today, as i've been working on the portrait to get it ready before my friend returns from holiday on Monday.

... and it is now finished! atleast for now, i'd really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if theres anything you think i could improve on it as i'd like it to be perfect.

As for the MGS guards in the background i think i'll leave them as they are, as they are only meant as a bit of a joke and not as the focal point.

Cheers!

Thanks
    A bit of light practice before bed, really gotta start to understand this stuff instead of just using a reference all the time.

Thanks
    I like the one with the umbrella- has a noticeably woman-like posture with the hip placement. I think you're using these gestures pretty well- good stuff!

Liking the masked woman with the sword, too. *o*

(edit, oh whoops talk about delayed, and lol at 'not a breast')

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast