Sketchbook: My Journey through University. - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    some really great studies here,. It's good to see some unreferenced anatomy, but maybe try and correct it afterward and then repeat again, to really get it to sink in. Also when you draw manikins, remember that bones are not straight but curvy. More color studies would also be good, and don't colorpick, you have to train your eyes to see the colors.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    skotte: Thank you for the feedback, i have never though about that i will definitely try to correct each unreferenced piece that i do so that it sinks in more. I agree with the colour picking thing, i havn't been colour picking on my latest digital pieces and i've found it much more appealing and better training to understand the colours, thanks again.

Thanks

update

Right i'm back in action, here are some drawings from yesterday and this morning, i also have a new Final Fantasy 10 environment study from last nights session however i was mega tired while painting it so i'm going to give it a bit of a once over and upload a new version later. Also all of these were none-referenced, i'm really pleased with the hand techniques that i have come accross and i have MUCH more confidence with hands now, though i'll need to do some more referenced studies to polish it up.

Also, my Starcraft 2 Collectors Edition arrived today, but its a day early and it wont let me install it until tommorow WHAT A BUMMER. BUT... i do have the artbook so that will provide me with some intense inspiration, cya later guys.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Heres a quick update on the Final Fantasy 10 environment studies, tweak the contrasts and colours of the first two and also updated the last one as it was rushed really late at night.

Can't concentrate with Starcraft 2 sat on my desk, even though i cant install it until tommorow. Gonna have to go have a browse through the artbook - the Behind the Scenes DVD was very interesting also... such a great company.

Anyways, hopefully i'll get my arse in gear for some more anatomy studies later on tonight - ii really want to start cracking down on facial muscles and emotions - as that is clearly my weak point.

Thanks

Fanart

After not being able to play starcraft 2 - but still pouring over the DVD and artbook - i have become very inspired and have started a Starcraft / Warcraft mix fanart piece.

The idea is this is Jim Raynor from Starcraft 2, with some Warcraft warrior armour on - which he has stolen from the orc who's head is in his hand. Also i'm trying to create a new pose and image out of various references of him and similiar looking people, instaed of just copying an already existing piece.

Thumbnail + WIP sketch.

Thanks
    Haha has anyone else recieved a crap-load of emails from CA today?
    I think they have managed to fix the email system :')

Anyways - may not have much to post today as i'll be out most of the day, but i shall either come some done tonight or work double as hard tommorow. Cya around.

Thanks
    Been stupidly busy the last few days and must be out all day today, however i'm free all next week so will kick into overdive then, but for now heres a few from last night. About to start to improve my horrible head drawing skills.

Thanks
    Anatomy studies looking great! Keep going with them, one thing i'd suggest, more stuff drawn from life...

Exon needs your critique!
    sketchbukky

Thanks
    Exon-Ion: Thanks i appreciate it. I also agree witj you there, i really do need more life studies, i gotta try get out of my comfort szone and give the ma shot.

Just got back from being out all day, only have 1 and a half pages to show for it, how crap is that. But i will get back in the groove next week as thats when everything starts to slow down again - curse you university preperations!

Anyways heres teh crap i got from today, the hands were drawn in the car using my hand as reference.

Thanks
    Im back! Heres some drawings from this afternoon. Still trying to nail the head - plenty of proportion propblems here but atleast i can spot them. Will try to more time on my next ones as some of these are a tad rush - hence the dodgey proportions.

More tommorow, cya!

Thanks
    looked through your old sketch book and some of your stuff and the designs look pretty good they just need a little more technique. For the enviro studies I think they need a little more atmosphere, keep in mind photos tend to flatten things out a little bit. contrast and saturation decrease with distance. Feng zhu explains it well http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL#g/u .

For the faces and figures I'd go around the devart stock accounts, http://www.characterdesigns.com/ and where ever else, save a couple hundred photos of figures and then use a slide show program to go through the photos, I think a 5 minute timer is a nice balance between speed and precision. I heard about a slide show program called http://www.irfanview.com/ a while ago somewhere on CA and it seams to get the job done. you could also use the posemaniacs 60 sec beep as a timer. Find a free day and just get as many done as you can focusing on construction, and after a couple hundred of them it starts to get a little easier and you also start to notice patterns and common elements in things when you do high volume studies, of course balanced with longer duration studies too.

Also with value make sure you keep in mind large value shapes, you create solid form with strong light shapes and shadow shapes. keep going.

Tenminutedrawing - awesome learn to draw series http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials
    A short list of my favorite tutorials http://surfandsnow.deviantart.com/journal/22269212/

My Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to surfandsnow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    surfandsnow: Thanks for the feedback and links. I have already downloaded around 5000 reference images and am currently using Irfanview to slideshow them - however i havn't thought about putting them on a 5 minute cycle, i've been sticking to a much quicker 45 seconds, which could be why its all looking rushed. Thanks again i will take in your advice and see what i can put out next.

Here are some more head studies from photos found on DA and also my firdst full body sketch (including head / hands / feet) which turnted out allright, though i do regret using the pen outline. I am becomming much more confident with drawing the head / face now though i really do need to improve. I am going to try to finish off my Jim Raynor fanart piece this week and i have also been asked to draw a portrait of my best friend and his girlfriend - so that should be a great bit of practice for rendering the face.

I am thinking that i'll start studying light and form by doing some still life paintings, but still working on my anatomy now n then because ive still got a long way to go with it.

anyways here we go:

Thanks
    hmm, really not happy with current painting technique, i just end up getting frustrated because its not looking right. I'm gonna have to go back to my old techniques and really must do some still life studies to get back on track.

anywhere heres more progress of my jim raynor fanart piece, as i said i'm not pleased with it so i'm going to scrap what i've done today and go back to the lineart, rendering it in my old way.

Any crits or advice would be great as always. Thanks!

Thanks
    Imho this painting you're working on needs more highlights and shadows, because right now it doesn't look flat per se, but a bit boring colour and contrast-wise.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Mary-cherry-me: I agree with what your saying, this technique (or process) i've been using lately involves starting very dark and building up the values, instead of jumping straight into a high value piece which makes it harder to make it 'pop', so if i continued on this it would have more higlights and shadows like you suggested, but i'm just really not happy with this process at the moment so i'm going to do more studies and figure out a process that i'm more comfortable with. Thanks a lot for the feedback though, i'll head over to your SB and see if i can offer any help

Working on a still life atm, wasn't planning on uploading anything so early but as i've got a comment i may aswell upload the rough linework of it, going to start painting over it now. I'll work more on the fan art tommorow when i'm more motivated.

Last edited by glaudarien; August 2nd, 2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: attachment

Thanks
    Heres an update on that still life, its not finished but i'm far too tired to do so and the lighting will most likely be different tommorow so i'll call this done for now, start a new one tommorow.

Lemme know what you think? cheers!

Thanks
    I really like the juggling balls, I think their form is pretty sharp here, and I can just about 'feel' the texture, too! Good work on that

It's just the can mostly- the ring of the can looks like it fades out a little and you can't make out it's form. What you might benefit from is concentrating on some really darker shades (where appropriate) but with a small brush, to get some extremes in, and that might accentuate the ring (and other areas) a little more and expose complex shapes.

Also the ellipse shape on the top of the can bothers me a little, at least on our right-hand side. The ellipse has the illusion of becoming 'sharp', as it were, and no ellipse should look like that. Just something to watch out for I suppose? (As a comparison, it looks correct and 'smooth' on the left-hand side. It may be slightly obscured on the right, but it 'feels' different and not symmetrical to the left)

Lastly, the cast shadows could possibly do with some variation and a gradual fade out- somehow, I doubt that those objects would cause such extreme shadows to be cast. It might be worth playing around with them, working from the lightest shade down.

Are you going to 'render' a source of light in the next still-life? It might help us to know what the shadows should be like, so if there is an extreme (close) light in this one, it might make sense for the shadows to be really dark, but I just don't see it here. I think it's because the form shadows are relatively light, and I'm getting confused lol.

Hope this was any use! ^^; Feel free to take or leave any of it that you were intent on doing or isn't relevant, I missed the part where you said it was unfinished until I read back over... doops. Look forward to seeing more studies!

Thanks
    AjaxDynamoDroid: Thank you for the in-depth feedback i really appreciate it! I'll certainly check out your SB in a second. I agree on most of your points, a lot of them would have been corrected if i had finished the piece but its always useful to hear what you need to improve on. Normally i would agree with you on the shadows however it was dark and the objects were lit from above with a strong desk lamp which created the dark and sharp shadows, however as you stated it isn't very obvious if the light source isn't shown, maybe i'll try to include a render or even just a few arrows to indicate it in my next one. Thanks again, feedback is always good!

Just been out buying more stuff for my student accomodation AGAIN and been filling out MORE forms for uni, its so much work and i havn't even started yet...

Will be starting a portrait of my 2 best friends in a second and hopefully some more anatomy / still lifes for you to have a gander at,

cheers!

[EDIT] Heres a few anatomy / pose drawings from ref, still unsure how to 'take them to the next level' but, i'll keep trying. Going to start the portrait now and maybe another still life depending how long i end up spending on the first part of the portrait.

Last edited by glaudarien; August 3rd, 2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: attachment

Thanks
    Started the portrait of my Best Friend and his girlfriend, any critique would be greatly appreciated as it shall be a surprise gift for them. The under-sketch is only a rough and will be corrected during the rendering / blocking out process, but it would still be good to have any problems pointed out

Cheers!

Thanks
    wow some of your sketches show really good dynamics!
    as for the portrait, i suggest you lay out the colors very roughly before you start rendering them!
    so you can concentrate on shape and value better, which is essential for the whole rendering to work at all!
    and dont hesitate with painting over the lines there, you can always correct it afterwards, when rendering.
    make the midtone a bit less saturated and a bit more orange. maybe give them different varieties in skintone from each other? also the skintone in itself should change. (get rosier on the cheeks etc.)
    try to look for hints of color in the photograph that differ from the overall color.

Thanks
    Wu!: Honestly, thanks! I agree with everything you said - they do have really quite pale skin but i'm sure theres more colours there than i havn't found yet. Thanks again i'll go back over the rendering i've done and start roughing in the colours.

more to come!

[EDIT] heres some progresss with roughing out the colours first, i agreess much better going straight into rendering. Also at first i found it really haard to see any different colours in the skin, but after taking a closer loook there are loads! Thanks again WU i'm much more confident with this piece now.

Last edited by glaudarien; August 4th, 2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: attachment

Thanks
    Some more progress on the portrait piece, mostly finished the blocking-in phase however i'm going to take a break from it and work on something else, so that when i come back to work on it i may see a few mistakes that i wouldn't have seen before.

Thanks for all feedback so far, its appreciated!

Thanks
    Hey guys, quite a large update for today i must say *Wink wink*

Anyways.... heres an update on the portrait piece, mostly tweaked proportions a tad and started rendering the girls face (mostly around the left eye/ cheek / nose) the rendering stage is making it look a tad smooth in paces, but i'll be correcting that in the detail phase by adding the skin pores etc.. hopefully it will all come together in the end, but i am much happier that i've blocked out all of the colours first

Also theres lots of studies, been revisiting my Hogarth Dynamic Figure Drawing book recently so thought i'd do some sketches from that and also trying to refine my gestures so they are actually gestures instead of scribbles and i am slowly getting much more confident with them!

Also a strange unreferences power-rangers'esk helmet man drawn in a bumpy car.. D:

Feedback would be AWESOME especially on the gestures and portrait, thanks!

P.S. I really want to get good at hatch / cross hatch rendering, which i see in many of the 5 star sketchbooks (such as Kratos i believe) and am very inspired by - buy have no clue how to do it , any tutorials or tips on that would also be great!

Thanks
    Yo dude! Nice updates!

Just a few crits:

On the first page of your studies, the one with boobs - they look kind of attached to the body artificially. I'm sorry if I sound rude. The breast does not swell so abruptly, it's gradually building up in mass.
    I also think you should work more on your female form - right now, I think you're used with drawing males, right? IMHO you're using too much muscular detail with them girls, or at least that's what I get from your studies.
    I also think you should work out more on the anatomy and relative size of muscles, as well as proportion regarding the upper torso area.

Thanks
    mary-cherry-me: Heey thanks for the crit again!
    I agree with you on all of those points, i'm still rushing a lot of these studies and should really be paying more attention to the key points - but thats no escuse. Thanks again i'll pay more attention to what you've said for the studies i'm doing at the moment.

I'll post some soon

Thanks
    Heyy guyss

The strangest thing happened to me today. I've ran out of mechanical pencil lead for a while now and only just bought some more, however i decided i would buy 2B lead instead of HB / 2H which is what i normally use. Oh my god - it makes the world of difference and i actually feel as though my drawings look 10x better now, it may or may not be the lead making the difference but i'm feeling much more confident now! Let me know if you see a difference, or it may just be my mind playing tricks on me..

Hogarth anatomy studies and more gestures / poses. Also some more work on the portrait, rendered most of the left and bottom parts of her face so far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glaudarien View Post
    P.S. I really want to get good at hatch / cross hatch rendering, which i see in many of the 5 star sketchbooks (such as Kratos i believe) and am very inspired by - buy have no clue how to do it , any tutorials or tips on that would also be great!
    I could't see that anyone answered this question, so i thought i'd try and help. Crosshatching, essentially is just showing the planes of shadow and light, but instead of making 'blocks' of dark shadow it is more gradient-esque.

i don't really think it's good to start thinking about different crosshatching techniques, without fully understanding and being able to use the generic style. (as in, Lines facing one way, then lines on tip facing another to create a darker shadow).

To be able to use crosshatching effectively it all depends on your understanding of the bone structure, in an anatomical sense. But this applies to anything you wish to shade.

It's probably best if i show you this picture.

You can see from the picture that the process of the crosshatching used is nothing that you can't do, but the way he implements it depends on your understanding on how the structure changes the darkness and direction of the crosshatching.

Taking the cheek bone as an example. You can see he has used many layers of crosshatching to define the area of shadow. He then leaves the areas that get light white so the contrast of the two are maximum which makes the features more defined and gives structure to the face.
    In other words, less is more when it comes to Cross-hatching.

Just thought actually, one tip would be to draw the outline of a face so you can see the chin and other areas where the bone sticks out but don't draw them with lines. You then could practise your cross-hatching by using it to illustrate a line, and making the brain believe there is one there (I'll try and explain better if need be.)

really do hope i helped, then again.. someone better could (would ) be more help.

Apart from this, i really do like your sketchbook. I try to check yours everyday, as it is really inspirational. Lovely Hogarth studies.

Thanks
    Tikeshe: Hey mate! Thanks for the feedback, the image didn't seem to work but the information still made sense mostly - I believe i understand the concept of it more now. Also i'm glad to hear you find my sketchbook inspirational, its very encouraging! Thanks again

Only just got up so nothing to upload yet - will be some updates in a few hours, cya then!

Thanks
    Unfortunately no anatomy studies for today, as i've been working on the portrait to get it ready before my friend returns from holiday on Monday.

... and it is now finished! atleast for now, i'd really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if theres anything you think i could improve on it as i'd like it to be perfect.

As for the MGS guards in the background i think i'll leave them as they are, as they are only meant as a bit of a joke and not as the focal point.

Cheers!

Thanks
    A bit of light practice before bed, really gotta start to understand this stuff instead of just using a reference all the time.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1