Sketchbook: My Journey through University. - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah.... i really need to get back to updating this, DAMN YOU UNI...

So anyways, i've now moved into my flat for Uni, its VERY strange as this is my first time away from home, my family and the city where i've lived for 18 years.

Its going to take a while to get settled in properly, however i have 3 weeks before i start my Uni course so that should give me enough time... i hope.

I really want to continue this commission however all i have at the moment is a ridiculously small desk that can barely fit my monitor on let alone my Cintiq, so i'm going to need to wait until sunday when my parents bring down my desk from home..

Oh well i'll settle down later and do some good ol' pencil sketches i think.

Heres a bit of an update on the commission from last time, its nearly there ijust need to refine and render it all, especially the male..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, Just a little update:

- A quick painting of the view from my window in my new place, not very interesting however i mostly just wanted achieve the right colours between the light and shadows.

- Bit more of an update on the commission, mostly just cleaned some things up, i'm quite happy with how the image is looking i think i just need to render the figure and it will be complete.

- A 30 min speedy of Rikku from Final Fantasy X (X-2) by request for a friends birthday today.

More to come - slow updating at the moment as i'm still settling in at my new place and getting used to the new environment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick lighting practice, using this awesome tutorial here: http://angelus-tenebrae.deviantart.c...7489941?q=&qo= its so obvious but its something that i struggle with a lot and this tutorial has really helped to open my eyes, atleast for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quickie for another frends birthday, YOU MUST LISTEN TO ARNY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick thumb for this weeks EoW:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just been back at home (my parents house) for the last 3 days and now i'm back, heres a few drawings drawn from posemaniacs / characterdesigns.com and some unreferenced ones on the train home. Also a page of sketches / thumbnails for this weeks EoW (in additon to the last thumbnail i posted).

Nothing special but will get back in gear from now on !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit more of an update on the thumb for thsi weeks EoW, trying to make it lt look less like a cavbve and more like an intergalactic council chamber. I think i need to make it more fancier though.

and two 2 sketches for a different idea for the EoW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more progress on the Thumb for this weeks EoW and also a bit more progress on the sketch thumb from before.

I think i'm going to go with my first idea and model it roughly in Sketchup then do a paint over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we have something i common , i am leaving home for university for first time like you to some other city witch is to far away from home that i have live in for 22 years . very good figure drawings , i also love your environment , i hope you could show you proses in your next drawings .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raminafshari: Oh yeh? its quite an interesting experiance! Thank you very much, i will try to show my process as much as possible, if there is anything inparticular you would like to know feel free to ask and i'll help as much as i can

Another update, heres is the first WIP of my final EOW piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some more progress on my EoW, nearly done i just wanted to add in the giant guardians from my thumb and add some more finishing touches.

And a quick sketch, which was used in the hologram.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished my entry for this weeks EOW, i'm really pleased with it and think its one of my best environments so far. Any crits are welcomed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided i wanted to change the colouring a tad on my EoW which is now 100% finished and submitted.

Also - i have to decided to actually use a Imagine FX workshop so i have chosen the 'Bringing a Clients Vision to Life' workshop by Alex Chu in issue 67.

I chose this workshop as he starts off very loose, which is something i struggle with as i am one of those FOOLS who always jumps straight into detail, so i thoguht this would be great practice.

Heres where i'm at so far:

[Also, i have started a new blog where i am trying to upload EVERYTHING from WIPS of each stage of my paintings, my thought process and finished pieces. So feel free to take a look if you like, not much up on there atm.]

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Glaudarien i spotted your EOW and realised who it was haha, you've definately improved since your first posts, your picking up steam baby! hope Uni speeds you up if anything. Will check back soon

Livestreamin'

Blog

Available for Freelance!-Contact Michael.jay@live.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fudgeloaf: Thanks man! good to hear from you again, i'll head over to your SB

Heres a bit more of an update on this IFX Workshop study:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I entered Ubisofts assassins creed contest, where artists would create their own interepretation of the assassin from any era or in any style, the winner would be published into the carte blanche section of the new assassins creed artbook.

However i just received the email saying that i was unsuccessful, which is a major bummer of course, but looking back on this piece i am not too surprised. Even though it was only two months ago i feel that i have imrpoved ALOT since the creation of this painting and think that there is a lot i could have done better.

Ah well, congratulations to all who were chosen!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have finnaly finished this piece and am very happy with the result!

I would like to say this again: I cannot take any credit for the concept of this piece at all - i painted this by following Alex Chu's workshop in Imagine FX issue 67. I wanted to follow it as close to his process as i could in order to see how close i could get the end result and also to learn as much as i possibly could from it.

I learnt ALOT from this and it was a very valuable exercise, now i just need to take what i've learnt and create my own piece from it, as i won't be able to take much - or any credit for this piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

Sorry guys been slacking

Just got back from my parents house, been there the past few days so havn't got much done. HOWEVER i had 2 new artbooks delivered: The lord of the rings sketchbook by Allan Lee and The art of Starwars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. They are both amazingly epic books - the lord of the rings sketchbook by Allan Lee really blows me away though as it is entirely pencil sketches and traditional illustrations which is something thats hard to come by, especially in an 'art of' book for a film. I have to sleep so i'll summarise the book in a few words: It is amazingly inspirational and you need to buy it.

Lastly, i start my design for games course at PCA tommorow! HELL YEH! Can't wait, i'm seriously hoping that theres some epic projects waiting for me, so hopefully all of my progress will be uploaded here.

Here is a quick photo study from tonight and 3 thumbs for a new peice i was going to work on before i left however didnt have time to go any further:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hullo there, nice updates.
    The photo study looks a bit plastic, IMHO, too much contrast between tones.
    I love how the last three are going tho, keep it up!

Also, I just got my hands on the lord of the rings artbook and I can't wait to start reading it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mary-Cherry-Me: Heey, i thought it looked metallic, but yes definitly not skin-like haha i need to redo it, not sure what i was looking at Thanks though!
    Ah yes, i have about 3 of them now, i love the lotr movies and the artbooks are amazing, definitley worth the money!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys,

I have started my Design for Games Course at University today! so i had to change the name of this thread, (it was called 'Improve before Uni') for obvious reasons lol. Though i think i've improved a crap-lot before uni, so this thread has done a lot of good! hopefully it will now help me to improve a crap-lot more during university, we shall see.

Got my timetable today and i have plenty of time at home, going to be spent doing lots of my project of course but it will mean i'll hoepfully be able to fit some more studies in now n then, everthing will be plopped onto my blog and onto here so please check back now n then for new updates.

Heres a very quick / half done face study as i have my first lecture in the morning and should probably not be late to that..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey where you studying? I just graduated from Teesside with a first in games art

Awesome work too, keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holland: Oh awesome! I've just started at Plymouth College of Art on a Design for Games FD / BA I had a look at your deviantart account and i've seen your stuff before, very nice indeed! Goodluck with a getting a job

I reeeallly need to get better at drawing faces onto my chaaracters - so i'm going to try my best to study them to get them upto the same level as the rest of my anatomy skills, heres page from tonight. Some Hogarth studies and a photo study in the bottom right. I am very happy with most of them however i need to force myself to be slower and focus as hard as possible to get the proportions exact.

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man nice sb you have here - I'm very jealous that you are doing art at uni also! I've just graduated but not in art - and I realise exactly how much time you are going to have on your hands to improve over the next three years. My advice is to use it wisely and really try and be doing something. Becuase its easy to let the first year slip by and you end up thinking "what have I actually done this year other than drink!?" haha it was fun though :p

Edit: oh yeah and get out there and party for freshers! (not that you'll need my encouragement!)

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent updates dude, FRESHERS WEEK IS HERE!!! dont get to drunk lol

I hope to be the best i can be... nothing less

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom Fenton: Thanks!

ThomasM: Thanks for the great advice

First week of Uni over, was very cool - even if it was just introductions and things. The course sounds very promising and i've already finished all 3 assignments, no shitting around this time!

Been quite bored today as all my assignemnts are done and not sure if i should start much personal work just yet, as the assignments will keep getting in the way. Heres a anatomy / pose study from hogarth:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still life of my External Harddrive. Trying to concentrate on still lifes at the moment, in another attempt at going back to the basics to improve.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate good studies glad your liking your uni! im in a similar course in Norwich. My 2 cents- I like your last still life but you should try some more dynamic angles man! and a quick tip ive picked up from loomis (i think) when it comes to drawing the eyes on a face they always start vertically up from the outside of the nostrils, I noticed that they always seem to be too far in or a little out. hope that makes sense im abit drunk. Keep it up man!

Livestreamin'

Blog

Available for Freelance!-Contact Michael.jay@live.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fudgeloaf Hey thanks man, i realy do need to choose more interesting objects and angles for my still lifes, i need to go out of my comfort zone. And yeh i think that mades sence, thanks again

Sat at the Waterfront for an hour or so this morning, atempting to draw what i could see. Only had 1 page left in my book (D'oh!) so couldnt draw too much. Brought it back home annd added a bit of shade and colour in photoshop, i'm fairly pleased with it as its a quick'n however its no more than a thumbnail in terms of quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the start of a new Stil life, i really want to try and do a few each week in between my university assignements, just to keep the basics in tact.

Quite happy with this one so far, however that crumpled receipt is hard!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1