WIP + Magic

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: WIP + Magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP + Magic

Hi, as i'm a huge fan of magic i would like to do some cards one day.
    This is my 1st attempt so i tried to stay at my safe zone.

I woudl love any coments / critiques ... i know i have lot to improve here as values and evrything else ... but to look it alone is allways dificult ..
    if anyone fell like doing a paintover it would be awesome too !!
    thanks in advance

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

suggestions

Looking good.

WIP + Magic

Also you will need to check your lighting considering the sun rays. This is all the help i can give on this stage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know its just in the beginning stages, but be aware of how you have your treeline at the top, with the leaves coming down; you have good depth already due to the trees in the background, that's good, but if you had the canopy of leaves and branches go even farther back, and more trees really far away, the depth of your image would zoom back. I can picture it by superimposing those there in my mind, its a simple change but I think it can help your piece a lot.

And of course, still be mindful to the anatomy of your subject. Go look at lots of reference and read some stuff on deer anatomy, etc. Good so far man, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the color palette you've chosen here. The decision to use all earth tones was a good idea, and using the brown to spot the deer thing with was a wise decision.

On the subject of light, there are some very strong shafts of light penetrating the canopy of the forest that you could really push and pull and play with to create some really epic light/shadow contrasts.

The light should be playing more on the deer thing, just according to the amount of light coming down through the canopy. Bump the contrast on the deer thing up a few notches, and be aware of highlights and shadows that you could be using to define more interesting shapes within the deer itself.

The atmospheric perspective is really nice and is working beautifully so far, good work.

Have you thought of a story for your sketch? What is the deer thing? Are you describing the deer or the land? (knowing magic, it could be either or)

As mentioned before make sure you are paying attention to matching proportions and the like so there is no wonkiness within the anatomy of the deer thing.

If you want to exaggerate the anatomy of this thing (as with what appears to be the double joints pointed out in the previous anatomy critique) then push the design a little more to let us know that something is an intentional exaggeration and not a simple mistake. Give it something that appears to be functional though, that might help especially with anatomy considering that biological life has been evolving for millions of years, discarding and adopting new features as they come in and out of use, so any exaggerations or alterations you make ought to have the appearance of form and function, if you add something that doesn't seem to be of any use to the creature you're designing then the viewer will usually be able to know that, even if they aren't able to point out what looks wrong to them.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks about all you coments ! the anatomy is not perfect yet .. its's dificult to figure out all muscles ... i worked a litle more at light but light / contrast its my weak spot for sure.
    that's what i've done so far ...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like the light in the background is coming from the grass, going up, since it's brighter near the ground.

Also, be considerate with placing different elements in your drawing, such as the leaves that are blowing around. If they're blown in a certain direction, shouldn't the grass be affected too?

And finally I think the reflected light you painted underneath it's belly should be green. It's coming from the grass after all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a thought ... The 'deer' looks a bit alarmed, like it has just heard something.

I'm pretty sure his tail would be up, just like his ears. Small detail, but it would add to the drama.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way you've rendered the beams of light now makes them look more like streaks of light from some sort of sci-fi artillery rather that sunlight. Try softening up the edges of the light considerably and logically the light should be brighter the closer it is to the light sources, so relocate the bright core light to the top of the image, where they are coming through the canopy. Since the light is brighter up there the edges out to be a bit sharper and more defined, and become softer and less defined the further away from the light source they get.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.