Art Nouveau WII Propaganda Poster - HELP!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Nouveau WII Propaganda Poster - HELP!

My recent discovery of two GIANT tomes of Gil Elvgren's and Alphonse Mucha's work, combined with my WWII-loving-father's birthday, lead to this little piece. Since it is for my dad's birthday, I would like for it to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Any critique, advice, red-lining, what have you, would be splendid.

Thanks CA

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good. The drawing is nice, although if it were me I'd look a lot more closely at the folding and draping on her coat, trying to find the form a bit more precisely.

I don't know if it matters, but very little about the image suggests World War II to me (I guess that wave she's leaning on indicates she's a WAVE, but I'm not sure it's enough.) Art Nouveau was well out of fashion by the 1940s, and the manga-style rendering of the figure was still about forty years in the future. You might want to think of ways to make it seem more historically correct....maybe she could have an actual hairstyle from the time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giacomo : Thanks for the input!

The coat is supposed to be a peacoat, very thick and wooly, so the figure would be a little muddied underneath - This is just my thought process, I didn't have a reference picture of a woman in a peacoat, so I could be wrong.

As for the WWII tie in, I should have mentioned that there will be text reading something like "I want you in the Navy!"

In regards to art nouveau/manga... I know that art noeveau was out of style. I wasn't going for historical accuracy. Just something unique for my dad to hang in his living room. I am very intrigued though, what about my rendering says "manga" to you? I've been trying to pry myself away from the manga drawing style for the better part of a decade, and I thought I had it all stamped out of me at this point. I don't want to draw manga art, so knowing anything that specificly says "manga" to you in this drawing would help me out.

Thanks <:3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This looks great. Very true to Alphonse Mucha. The hand on the wave needs to be redrawn. The elbo on the opposite side is too high and the proportions of both arms don't match.

As for the anime comment it has to do with the eyes, nose and mouth proportions. Personally I think good anime has a heavy Mucha influence. If you are focused on good clean simple line work people will allways associate it with anime and anime will always be a psychological reference. So if you want to distance yourself from anime, then try to keep any stylization out of her facial proportions.

You might want to check out http://www.bawidamann.com/gallery/military.html

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure about the idea of the wave. Its too surreal, I think, for someone who is a WWII buff.

How about finding some nice reference of some WWII aircraft to put behind the girl. That would really add some strong design element and strong WWII element at once. And instead of nouveau, why not go for a graphic that relates to WWII, like a giant american star?

I like the drawing so far,
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If your going to take Kevs advice you might as well break out the tracing paper and explore ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For an idea of a woman wearing a peacoat, how about this:

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd try kicking the left foot out and doing a salute with the left hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The left hand looks weird

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the sketch! As soon as I saw it I knew where you were going with it.

I ware my husband's pea-jacket during the winter it's not fitted at all but honestly use your creative license and make it a little more fitted around the waist if that's what you want to do(just my 2 cents).
    I bet once you get into coloring and shading it will really look fantastic!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.