Sketchbook: A journey to get better

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A journey to get better

Hi guys and gals. After months and maybe a year already, I have come back to the only forum that has truly helped me become a better artist. I'm nowhere near the skill level many of the amazing artist here present but I want to improve. I have bought several book already but after some time, including "Drawing on the right side of the brain" two about caricatures and I'm reading Loomis' Books so I should improve. I'll try to update daily with new drawings from the books, my imagination and with some old things that I'm really proud of. I hope you like my work and that you can help me become a better artist.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mabelma; July 3rd, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go!!! The tattoo is not on my body it's on someone else body. I'll leave you with this for now, I hope you like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PoseManiac Head Studie

I tried something out after seeing many of the great studies people do here. A "portrait" from posemaniacs. It may not be good but this is actually a great stretch from pretty much everything I do and I'm actually proud of it. I'll do more of this now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies. Hope you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last study for today, Hope you like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying out caricature for the first time. This wasn't suppose to be Jesus but my inability to get a likeness resulted in me making Jesus. Enjoy. I haven't gotten any comments so far, that means one of two things, either my "art" is to crappy to receive comments or I'm just doing something wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some old stuff. I hope you like. It's a model sheet and expression chart for a character of mine. He's a crazy robber that is just not fit to be a robber but still does it very poorly. Trying to develop him a little more before I try anything with him. Right now, all I have is the turn-around and the expression chart but I'm trying to make some action poses but I'm just bad when it comes to thinking off ideas so if you could suggest some poses or just comment or critic, it would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone at all? Could someone please comment on my work or tell me how to improve or what to study more of? Anything at all would be great. Today's update, part of a model sheet I'm constructing for Link in my style or a style I like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might not be the best at giving advice but I'll try to give you my two cents.

It is good that you seem to use more pencils to draw and not a lot of digital. I think you should try to get more accurate with your pencil before going digital. You mentioned several books like loomis, try to do some real studies from there. Don't try to read too much into it and just copy what you see. The things you do from imagination are not succesfull if you don't understand what you are actually drawing. There are a lot of issues with anatomy, even in the one piece you used the reference from Jack Nicholson.

It is difficult to give you a very specific advice, so I guess the way to go from here on would be to draw a lot more and try to sharpen your observational skills, how big objects are in comparison to each other, how your eye measures distance and the basics of picture making. One of many no brainers I can share with you for now is that you should think about the thickness of the lines you draw. Thick lines tend to look closer to the viewer and you can create some depth if you use thick and thin lines at the right moment.
    Maybe you can make something out of it and try to play a lot more with your lines

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the advice and the critics. Yeah I get what you get about my anatomy I really need to work on that but I just don't know how to do it. Should I just pick up an anatomy book and copy from it or is there a good way to actually study anatomy? Also who is Jack Nicholson? Thanks for the tip on line thickness, I'll be sure to try that out as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabelma View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice and the critics. Yeah I get what you get about my anatomy I really need to work on that but I just don't know how to do it. Should I just pick up an anatomy book and copy from it or is there a good way to actually study anatomy? Also who is Jack Nicholson? Thanks for the tip on line thickness, I'll be sure to try that out as soon as I can.
    You posted a picture of Jack Nicholson so I thought you know who he is ^^ quite famous actually. A journey to get better

I guess to a certain extent the saying "learning by doing" can be quite accurate for drawing. If you start to copy a lot from the anatomy books your brain automatically remembers your hands movements and if you have to draw the same thing from imagination and do it wrong, you will know if you have done it right 10 times before from reference. It is all about measuring distances, how long is an arm and how long is this in comparison to that. There are measurements you can read about and apply that to your drawings, but you can do that later on as you progress.
    At the moment I would recommend you to focus on your pure draftsmanship with studies as long as you can keep going. If you lose concentration don't hesitate to do something weird from imagination because in the end it is always about having a good time drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much, that helped me a lot. Actually for the portrait I don't really know who he is I just looked for a photo of someone on google but now that you say it, I think i have seen him somewhere before. Could Simone please suggest some in actions poses for the model sheet I'm working on? I just can't get any poses on my mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could anyone suggest a link that can help you learn anatomy? I haven't gone to the library recently but if there's some place I could get a few anatomy studies done before I go the library, it would be awesome. Could anyone suggest some in-action poses for the model sheet a few post up? Comments and critics are greatly appreciated. Something to make this bump worth it.

Members who have read this thread: 1