Metal skin with pencils.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I'm not very familiar with your previous work so I'll just point out a few that came to mind when I saw this. In terms of rendering I think the skin might be a bit heavily shaded. The forms on the back are quite subtle and in comparison the shadow under the buttocks for example would be much much darker. As it is now I think the darkest shadow is on the back.
    I'm not very good at critiquing rendering so I'll focus on the drawing instead.

I get the feeling that this pose looks a bit stiff. If you were to find the centerline through the whole pose it's pretty much a straight line. I think you can get a lot more charm and sensuality if you try to think about emphasising curves. Try to feel yourself sinking into the pose... I always start a drawing by trying to nail down the overall flow or gesture of the pose before fleshing it out.

Nice job!

Metal skin with pencils.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to applecheeks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you were actually going for a metallic look on the skin, you need much higher contrasting (blacks and whites) and sharp reflections of her environment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Judging your first SB Posts you Improved a lot! But still a long way to go.

If you look for a metallic look, that means the skin has no color itself but reflects the environment like a mirror. Also called Chrome Look, like the Silver Surfer. Get some reference of chrome-sculptures, like from HR Giger and do some texture studies of the material. Reference is the key, also for the figure.

A great way to improve, and I tell that a lot ;-) , is to draw lots from life, the people around you, and also attending lifedrawing sessions.

have fun!

-a

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a good example of differences in the way light reacts on different materials. It's from Prometheus' excellent art tutorial.

If metal skin is what you're actually trying to go for that is.

Metal skin with pencils.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by applecheeks View Post
    Hey! I'm not very familiar with your previous work so I'll just point out a few that came to mind when I saw this. In terms of rendering I think the skin might be a bit heavily shaded. The forms on the back are quite subtle and in comparison the shadow under the buttocks for example would be much much darker. As it is now I think the darkest shadow is on the back.
    I'm not very good at critiquing rendering so I'll focus on the drawing instead.

I get the feeling that this pose looks a bit stiff. If you were to find the centerline through the whole pose it's pretty much a straight line. I think you can get a lot more charm and sensuality if you try to think about emphasising curves. Try to feel yourself sinking into the pose... I always start a drawing by trying to nail down the overall flow or gesture of the pose before fleshing it out.

Nice job!

Metal skin with pencils.
    I like how you did this. The line was where I thought her spine might be. but I like this better.

I'm the guy that does his job! You must be the other guy!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...73#post2633373 <- longest link to a sketchbook ever.
    http://thesketchersden.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfeeras View Post
    Judging your first SB Posts you Improved a lot! But still a long way to go.

If you look for a metallic look, that means the skin has no color itself but reflects the environment like a mirror. Also called Chrome Look, like the Silver Surfer. Get some reference of chrome-sculptures, like from HR Giger and do some texture studies of the material. Reference is the key, also for the figure.

A great way to improve, and I tell that a lot ;-) , is to draw lots from life, the people around you, and also attending lifedrawing sessions.

have fun!

-a
    I have a chrome flashlight that I used but the lighting wasn't right and it wasn't idea for sphere shaped parts. There is nothing better then drawing from life. Thanks.

I'm the guy that does his job! You must be the other guy!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...73#post2633373 <- longest link to a sketchbook ever.
    http://thesketchersden.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blueknightfox View Post
    I like how you did this. The line was where I thought her spine might be. but I like this better.
    That's something that gave me trouble with gesture until recently. The line of action doesn't need to be tied down to the spine, it simply describes the primary action of a pose (or action). So if you get a nice strong S-curve in your LoA, then you're more likely to end up with a graceful, dramatic figure.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.