why people aren't leaving conceptart.org - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: why people aren't leaving conceptart.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i just also want to say that i have love for every single person who's participated on this site for the past 8 or so years. regardless of any personal differences, this place is indeed special. ive seen it help thousands of folks over the years. i for one dont want to see it tear itself apart.

2. The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to el coro For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the best roller coaster I've been on in YEARS!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmalidore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro View Post
    i just also want to say that i have love for every single person who's participated on this site for the past 8 or so years. regardless of any personal differences, this place is indeed special. ive seen it help thousands of folks over the years. i for one dont want to see it tear itself apart.
    exactly ! u know we love u too man !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So instead of going on and on about how this place isn't as good as it used to be (after 4 pages I'm sure we get the point), maybe we should try to come up with ways to make CA great again? And hopefully attract all those that have left so that they'll come back.

A lot of people are saying that the main reason they came here was because of the attitude towards learning. And it seems that the Critique section isn't as busy as others like the lounge or finally finished. So maybe it would be an idea to have, every so often, a day where there is a focus on posting something helpful in the critique section. There could be some sort of an incentive, like an icon under your user name for giving the most or best advice, to make sure people post there. And this could happen once a month or once a week (on a friday maybe?).

Another thing that could help would be more big competitions like the Thunderdomes or Newborn one last summer. I thought it was really good how so many people got involved and were all helping each other to create awesome art. So more of those would be good.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zapp! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dobsky View Post
    Let 'em fly. I'd be more than happy to answer them.

It'll probably be the most useful thing I've done all day.
    Was kinda just making a small joke as a sort of welcome back, but okay.
    My main question really being, how do you basically make the transfer from theoretical perspective to practical perspective?

When I see explanations on 1,2,3 point perspective, it's all sort of clear.
    But then I see work that bumskee or ruanjia makes, or when I'm out in the open, trying to use this information on a cluster of buildings or the human body and it doesn't seem to click.

Any insights would be very helpfull.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Was kinda just making a small joke as a sort of welcome back, but okay.
    My main question really being, how do you basically make the transfer from theoretical perspective to practical perspective?

Cheers
    The trick is to not to worry about it so much. Perspective should be in the service of making a picture not the picture in service of making perspective. Make sense?

Just keep in mind your horizon line/ eye level and the direction of view. even notate it on the page if you need to. Observe the rest as carefully as possible knowing you will have to make some corrections later. Don't let it bum you out either because it happens to all of us.

Once you're back in the studio you can work it out in precise detail and figure out all the vanishing points and the make whatever adjustments you need to.

10. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Carl Dobsky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread has warmed my heart. Okay; it gave me indigestion as well, but people are talking again and there hasn't been half the tears and snotters that there might have been.

Is there any chance that we can go back to the default settings re bannings unless somebody has actually threatened life and/or limb?.

Let's start again as far as possible, and, this time, let's try to keep the lines of communication open. Howzabout it?

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp! View Post
    So instead of going on and on about how this place isn't as good as it used to be (after 4 pages I'm sure we get the point), maybe we should try to come up with ways to make CA great again? And hopefully attract all those that have left so that they'll come back.

A lot of people are saying that the main reason they came here was because of the attitude towards learning. And it seems that the Critique section isn't as busy as others like the lounge or finally finished. So maybe it would be an idea to have, every so often, a day where there is a focus on posting something helpful in the critique section. There could be some sort of an incentive, like an icon under your user name for giving the most or best advice, to make sure people post there. And this could happen once a month or once a week (on a friday maybe?).

Another thing that could help would be more big competitions like the Thunderdomes or Newborn one last summer. I thought it was really good how so many people got involved and were all helping each other to create awesome art. So more of those would be good.
    Ah *wipes tear* The Thunderdome was epic, then it became a challenge tread and spiraled out of control from there.
    The new CHOW and whatnot is quite good, but Thunderdome was the boss battle of the forum, and what I suppose people have been practicing for months and taking in the critiques to finally show how much they've learned.
    Longer periods to work on a piece, healthy competition and great initiative.
    I would really like to see it come back or something similar.

Noticeably yes the critiques seem to have diminished a bit to the naked eye, but I believe it is because it was 'allowed' pretty much all over the forum, now there are stricter rules to posting in areas like say, "It's Finally Finished", I don't believe this is necessarily a bad change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dobsky View Post
    The trick is to not to worry about it so much. Perspective should be in the service of making a picture not the picture in service of making perspective. Make sense?

Just keep in mind your horizon line/ eye level and the direction of view. even notate it on the page if you need to. Observe the rest as carefully as possible knowing you will have to make some corrections later. Don't let it bum you out either because it happens to all of us.

Once you're back in the studio you can work it out in precise detail and figure out all the vanishing points and the make whatever adjustments you need to.
    I see, thank you very much.
    Seems my entire approach was incorrect.

I don't know if we're allowed to ask figure drawing questions too, if not, just edit my post, no problem.
    What sort of system of underlying structure was taught to achieve the results of ca atelier? Bammes? Vilppu?
    And in what manner was this taught?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question for you, Carl, seeing as you are being so generous at the moment. I'll be attending Water Street Atelier starting this September, and I'm really excited to study under all the great artists over there. I'll be focusing as much as I can on the teachings there and building up my eye and sense of observation, but on the weekends and in between I'd like to work up my ability to draw and paint from my imagination. Seeing as the marriage you have created at the Next Gen Atelier works quite well, how would you recommend I approach the concept art/illustration learning while studying at Water Street, so that I maximize my learning in all areas (obviously what I will be studying under Jacob will take precedence)?

Wow, that's totally, utterly, in no way on topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must say, it's been quite a relief to read Dobsky and El Coro's posts after all this drama and uncertainty.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to say thank you El Coro and Carl Dobsky for providing some of my favorite video downloads. The Storyboard art videos and the Perspective videos helped me out a lot. I still suck, but I'm trying to improve, and I don't feel totally lost.

The day both of you are banned from CA will be the day that I leave CA. Glad you're still on here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hyskoa and cdejong,

When working from observation I use the block-in method. You can read about this in Tony Ryder's book or look at Bargue plates. The goal is to understand the shapes you're looking at in a large abstract way and work toward smaller and smaller shapes. When working observationally, this works great.

From imagination it doesn't do quite as well. Or at least. I can't seem to make it work in the same way. Using different methods of construction seems to work better when making things up. I personally really like the way Bridgeman goes about it. I still read through his texts to this day.

21. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Carl Dobsky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

That's a great idea.
    Everyone should start to devote part of their day(10 minutes?) to the Critique section even if you're not the most competent or qualified person. There's always going to some knowledge that you can pass on that can help improve their piece. Giving critiques is a great way to learn, your basically applying what you've learned from your studies. I always see/get comments about applying your studies. This is an excellent way to do so and be active in the community.
    No other incentive necessary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You all made the Native Americas cry.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think two issues are getting mixed up, here: whatever personal issues are going on behind the scenes, and the inevitable problems that growth of a community causes. CA used to have a much more intimate atmosphere, that's true; you might post work in the sketchbook section and get a critique from someone like Jon Foster, and that was amazing. But with the influx of thousands of new members, some of that intimacy is bound to be lost; the amount of time needed to critique all the struggling new artists makes doing so prohibitive, especially for pros who don't have tons of spare time to begin with. I think that's why people tend to hit the 5-star high spots and tell newbies who ask the same old questions to read the FAQ or download the tutorials; anything more would be a full-time job. That's just the nature of a big forum, and can't be blamed on anyone.

P.S. glad to see El Coro and Carl Dobsky. edit: yes and Mock

Last edited by jcpahl; July 1st, 2010 at 07:15 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpahl View Post

P.S. glad to see El Coro and Carl Dobsky, (edit: & Mock).
    Word.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Coro and Carl just by posting you've changed everything. Here we were all thinking you two were banned. Now I can go back to my original assumption that only dickheads and racists get banned and not people "who knew too much". Just know the uproar was because we have your backs.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is this the bus stop for the 77/54?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Coro and Carl just by posting you've changed everything. Here we were all thinking you two were banned. Now I can go back to my original assumption that only dickheads and racists get banned and not people "who knew too much". Just know the uproar was because we have your backs.
    Or maybe they are IMPOSTERS planted by the HIGHER ORDER to keep an eye on defectors!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Is this the bus stop for the 77/54?
    Still wishing for a :hug: button for the kitty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...Another thing that could help would be more big competitions like the Thunderdomes or Newborn one last summer. I thought it was really good how so many people got involved and were all helping each other to create awesome art. So more of those would be good.
    ...Another thing that could help would be more big competitions like the Thunderdomes or Newborn one last summer. I thought it was really good how so many people got involved and were all helping each other to create awesome art. So more of those would be good.
    /sidles away

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro View Post
    i just also want to say that i have love for every single person who's participated on this site for the past 8 or so years.
    and we love you.. Katy show em the love!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got cold shit for a moment here. I really agree with Zapp! I too am guilty for I used to frequent the Critiques section a lot more whereas now I post very little and hang around the lounge mostly. I am fairly new here and I don't really know what the forums used to be but I think I'd love that and am more than willing to make a contribution to regaining that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Carl, Coro and a few others I see lurking down on the bottom - you rock. Hard. Thank you as always for your hard work and inspiration. You guys ought to hear that more often. Maybe? Yeah, why not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The people

Jason Manley

Wow sorry I'm an idiot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo hoo! I'm glad to see Carl and Coro posting again. With Carl around, my hope for attending the Next-gen-Atelier is still alive

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sheds a single tear*

Carl, El Coro...thank you for your posts and ending this/shedding light on the situation. I think a lot of people will agree that the dark cloud that was over CA.org for the past few weeks has receded.

I'm sure we all can rest easy now.

Welp, back to work on drawings and stuff now that my energy is restored. WOOOOOO!!! LA lalalala~!

forward into the future...HELL YEAH!! let see what it brings!!!

Sketchbook...Please tear it to shreds, Thank You!

~Youíve got to get the fundamentals down because otherwise the fancy stuff isnít going to work.~Randy Pausch

karmiclychee Tulokyn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well , nothing last forever, but there is some people that love art and will stay, anyways we still a good community.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for carl and coro:

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8