why people aren't leaving conceptart.org - Page 15
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: why people aren't leaving conceptart.org

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And here I though Raul was posting how boobs knock glasses off with the "Pictures speak much clearer than words"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    And here I though Raul was posting how boobs knock glasses off with the "Pictures speak much clearer than words"
    You certainly have my encouragement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for that jason , that will probably be helpfull so you can just point any one thats wants to know to that , maby you should make a page for it attached to the home page ? glad to hear your drawing and paitning agean too !how longs it been ?

also ic that your 501.c(3)
    so you dont file the 990 but insted frile the irs form 1023 wich also > more info here http://www.irs.gov/charities/article...130101,00.html

"A completed Form 1023 is a public document. Exempt organizations are required to make a copy of theirs available to anyone who requests it (with certain exceptions parallel to those that apply to requests for 990s -- for more about this subject, see http://www.nonprofits.org/npofaq/19/06.html). Anyone can also request a copy from the IRS. On the IRS web site find form 4506-A -- http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506a.pdf -- fill it out and mail it in. It usually takes several months before the copy will be mailed."

where would one request this form for CA ?
    i notice that andrew jones name got coverd up there by accident as the agent on the incoperation papers , is it to that address thats also got coverd up that some one should write to request the 1023 ?

Last edited by liam.c; July 28th, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to liam.c For This Useful Post:

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,552 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Liam, You are quite welcome. The point that needed to be made has been made. I felt the obvious need to show that the aggressive comments made to purposely upset the community and cause damage here were false. That was the sole purpose of the release. The relevant document was that provided by the state and so I pasted it into that doc. There was no accident. Andrew's eight year old address is no longer in effect.

With that said, you are misunderstanding things and CA operations. As always said here on this site, ConceptArt.Org is not tax exempt, nor does it claim to be, and to date has not needed to be to achieve it's goals. The business was set up and run in the case we did have the right opportunity to pursue tax exemption, and CA has followed it's lawyers and accountants advice all the way through and done exactly that. In the event CA does become a tax exempt organization for the purpose of chasing grants or the like (assuming we had budgets to hire grant writers), then such documents will be filed and they will be then available to you and anyone else. It has been more important previously for CA to focus on the important things like the early scholarship initiative, providing educations to the past atelier students, holding our volunteer run events etc...the main priority has always been to promote and help artists here so all can benefit who wish to do their best. To date, there has been greater benefits from the way we run this business by helping people instead of paying more legal bills. If you have business questions you can always reach me at jmanleyATtheartdepartment.org or CA's business attorney Ed McHorse at emchorseATgdhm.com

Jason

Last edited by Jason Manley; July 29th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh that clears that up . CA is a texas non profit , meaning its corp that has filed papers with the secertary of state in texas , but has not filed for tax exempt status since it was created . i think thats maby where all the confusion might have come from ! and since CA does not have taxexempt status it dosent file the 990 or the 1023 forms and is also not subject to public inqirey.

hey maby would be a good idea to give the taxexempt status a go , that would be at least 33% increase in revanue at the end of the day and might help buffer some of the server costs ? might even help to bring in outside funding from peoepl that give to things like this ?

cheers mate glad your drawing agean !

Last edited by liam.c; July 28th, 2010 at 07:51 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to liam.c For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by liam.c View Post
    hey maby would be a good idea to give the taxexempt status a go , that would be at least 33% increase in revanue at the end of the day and might help buffer some of the server costs ?
    I think you're assuming CA turns a profit and has to pay taxes. If they're breaking even/at a loss then being tax exempt does them little good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    I think you're assuming CA turns a profit and has to pay taxes. If they're breaking even/at a loss then being tax exempt does them little good.
    CA uses it's revenue to do all the things we do. CA has never been a wealthy company but we have done all we can to achieve what we do on budgets that other companies would see as impossible. This site started with a 50 dollar investment from me and a lot of time. We did not start with investment or the like. There are communities that start with millions of dollars and do not have impact. I am very proud of what has been accomplished. When there is revenue it is used for what needs to be done, in order of immediate importance and best impact, which that list of dreamy todo's is far deeper than any budget we have.

Here are some random dreams that I have had for a while...starting with one that is now real.

I remember having a vision in 2002 of having figure drawing and gallery centers in the major cities which CA members could attend and participate in order to have a place for creatives that is not of some local artist center or coffee shop gallery. That is why the lounge has the local artist group sub forums. I figured it would be best to at least get the locals together better first, while we hoped to someday have budgets. That is coming real now with TAD and we set up the open figure drawing days/nights just for that purpose. I am sitting in one right at this moment. Attached is a pic from last weeks open figure. This has my mind wrapped around art and I am very thankful to be able to do this stuff.

Again..these are dreams...some beyond the stuff we need to get done right away...but is what I think about. One of them, the publishing tool, almost became real after I built the single largest business plan and model I have ever worked on. That one sadly fell through though, as the investor (the guy who just bought Saab) wanted, at the last last minute, the lions share of the revenue I told them must go to the artists who participate or I was not going to do it. Grrr... It could still happen sometime, and so I include it on this list.

a. To do a full on CA workshop, or series of workshops, for FREE as a gift to the international art community and to deserving artists find even greater opportunity - which I want to personally achieve as we have always charged what it costs to do them. With TAD's support on these now this may just happen in the coming few years...at least that is a goal I have.
    b. To put together a global art show in the major cities of the world featuring the best of CA artists works and promoting artists.
    c. To put art related content on network and web TV to better promote deserving forums artists across all media outlets.
    d. To make a reality TV show about CA/TAD artists who wants to make it big and do. (this has been discussed here for ages)
    e. To see CA in every major language, localized for countries around the world who do not speak english.
    f. To see workshop that is on multiple continents at the same time and all connected online, streaming out to the world and available on the site.
    g. To see CA attached to the biggest cultural events out there, from Coachella to the next Woodstock..whatever that may be. We have worked hard on this by doing the AFI film festival, SXSW twice and Siggraph in the past couple years. The more we work with other talent the better we can promote the talent herein.
    h. To build a publishing tool and marketing arm that allows forums members to see revenue from their works through games, digital comics, etc....
    i. To have a gallery network that is put together and properly supported fully legitimize the digital art scene.
    k. To do the Art of the ConceptArt.Org Forums book.
    l. To see CA participating in a cause that it can have great impact on and see change in the world because of it. The endangered species clause is an example of that, since this is such a creature loving place. This November I am headed to Brazil to meet with the government and tour animal sanctuaries to see how we can help as artists.
    m. and on and on and on...

Attached Images Attached Images  

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some hefty dreams, now time for me to go work that way when the day comes for all that ca greatness ill have something to contribute.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big dreams can happen...inside CA, outside CA, and anywhere you want them to. It sounds silly probably to talk about such things but I know they do become real.

When I was 19 and completely on my own in the world I dreamed of having an animation and art studio that did "cool stuff". I pictured about 5 guys and gals working together in a loft. Little did I know that dream would end up with my initial hope of working for just Disney being true when I found the right person there and signed that company as a client too. If I did then, Id have run around and told everyone, that is for sure.

When I was 26 I dreamed of having a place for artists to learn online in which all the industry concept artists would be stars and sharing their knowledge in a pay it forward atmosphere. What I pictured turned out as envisioned and makes me happy every day. I am very lucky to be a part of this community and it has given me much in all my days.

When I was 28, two months after building CA on a weekend, I dreamed of having a video game company with great artists from all over the world working for the biggest clients out there. When I started I had no money to make it happen and only work coming in and great artists who could help. I remember people telling me how stupid I was. Fortunately there were a lot of very talented who believed in the same dream.

When I was 29 I dreamed of making a way for all my artist friends to travel together and see the museums, see the world, learn and create together. Little did I know that would mean thousands of people would join the idea and that it would change so much for so many...and so many would help each other.

A few years later I dreamed of ways that those who worked the hardest and led the way with their artwork could generate income to better their lives in the art community...a way for those to grow up in the community and give back while at the same time support themselves. I know how that effort has been helpful to people as I too was even able to participate.

There have been many dreams...and some are happening right this very minute. Not all dreams turn out as I wish for them to be and some turn out better and others not so much, but it is worth trying always and no way am I going to stop. That is for sure. I want the next eight years to be better than these past eight years and am doing all I can to make them so. I will not be happy otherwise.

I look forward to seeing what other people's dreams come true around here. As I told one of the MB SF guys a couple weeks ago...there is only one way to do it. Work hard every day and do great work. In time actions lead to reality and that reality to even greater opportunity. Critics fall. Support is earned and even comes and goes but no matter what the hard and good work pays off. Not always as one hopes but sometimes far more than initially imagined.

Eventually I will earn enough resources to see things done so much faster...for now..more work. At least it is work that is selected and chosen and with purpose, so I have no complaints.

Last edited by Jason Manley; July 28th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    l. To see CA participating in a cause that it can have great impact on and see change in the world because of it. The endangered species clause is an example of that, since this is such a creature loving place. This November I am headed to Brazil to meet with the government and tour animal sanctuaries to see how we can help as artists.
    How viable do you think this is, out of curiosity?

I'm not normally all about the various movements for whatever the hell, but I would be all about this. I could devote my life to a cause like that.

I mean, I'm not much of a people person. Pretty reclusive, not really all about the whole...interaction thing.

But I'm a huge animal person. Helping the animal population may very well be the most motivating thing in the world next to my wife. If I knew artistic badassery could in any way help any of the wonderfully unique species of animal that makes this world so wonderful, I'd be doing 10 times the artwork I'm doing now.

In fact, if you could just tell me that that's very possible at any point in the future, that'd be great. Because I need to be doing more art period.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is what I am going to find out Mr. Listen.

I am no biologist. I am no vet. But I know an awful lot of amazing and creative people and have pretty good traffic reach and even some rust falling away art skills. I can promote well and raise awareness of things so when I look at what I have to offer..what CA has to offer I see that. What they did with the Totoro Forest Project is beautiful example, even if not on a world wide scale initially. http://totoroforestproject.org/ They have since raised over 3 million dollars. That is not enough for a global cause like endangered species but what happens when that becomes movies...video games...global product and entertainment content. There is a way...even if it is just starting with art..or working on designing sanctuaries as if they were entertainment worlds.

I will figure it out eventually. It is the problem I want to someday devote the full experience and learnings to. I have at least ten years of focus on TAD and MB and CA ahead but I figure there will be opportunities along the way to see small actions create momentum and that momentum build into something greater. The right people will be met. Enough research done.

In the end, that is an example of how I want to have impact. To have used my creative skills to better the things in the world I believe would have me reach the end of my journey someday with a sense of humble relief.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is what I am going to find out Mr. Listen.

I am no biologist. I am no vet. But I know an awful lot of amazing and creative people and have pretty good traffic reach and even some rust falling away art skills. I can promote well and raise awareness of things so when I look at what I have to offer..what CA has to offer I see that. What they did with the Totoro Forest Project is beautiful example, even if not on a world wide scale initially. http://totoroforestproject.org/ They have since raised over 3 million dollars. That is not enough for a global cause like endangered species but what happens when that becomes movies...video games...global product and entertainment content. There is a way...even if it is just starting with art..or working on designing sanctuaries as if they were entertainment worlds.

I will figure it out eventually. It is the problem I want to someday devote the full experience and learnings to. I have at least ten years of focus on TAD and MB and CA ahead but I figure there will be opportunities along the way to see small actions create momentum and that momentum build into something greater. The right people will be met. Enough research done.

In the end, that is an example of how I want to have impact. To have used my creative skills to better the things in the world I believe would have me reach the end of my journey someday with a sense of humble relief.
    Thanks for the information Jason. I understand it's going to take a lot of time, but anything worthwhile does.

It's going to take me another couple years before I'll be of much worth, as it is, but it's ideas like this that make the journey worth it. Even if it is just an idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its threads like this that make me proud to have the CA logo tattooed on my butt cheek.

I love you guys

Crit for a crit!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goddammit Jason, your inspirational talks always make me want to shed a single tear. Fortunately I have no capacity for emotion, so I'm unable to do this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Boyer View Post
    Goddammit Jason, your inspirational talks always make me want to shed a single tear. Fortunately I have no capacity for emotion, so I'm unable to do this.
    Don't let Colin fool you. I walked into the pod tonight to find him balling like a baby. Also, his favorite movie is Steel Magnolias.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BRINKMAN! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BRINKMAN! View Post
    Don't let Colin fool you. I walked into the pod tonight to find him balling like a baby. Also, his favorite movie is Steel Magnolias.
    I don't even know what a Steel Magnolia is.

As an aside, every time I see your screen name I picture Dan Aykroyd from Ghost Busters shouting it. "Venkman!"

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin Boyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for that info Jason. Your last few posts were very much appreciated.

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

31. The Following User Says Thank You to comixnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is longer then I thought it would be. Everyone knows CA is the best at what it does.

I'm the guy that does his job! You must be the other guy!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...73#post2633373 <- longest link to a sketchbook ever.
    http://thesketchersden.blogspot.com/

33. The Following User Says Thank You to blueknightfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, when I heard about the drama it involved a brawl and Jason being thrown out of MB. It turns out to be crickets by comparison : P

I'm glad that all got sorted out. There's plenty of art sites around but nothing quite like CA. Some people may not like the range of boards here but it's one of my favorite things. I poke my head into Animation and Toys all the time, Photography Mob too when it was still a part of this site (and is it just me or was it a lot livelier then too?). Now Graphic Design too. Rather than distract I think it all adds to the richness of this site and there's a lot of inspiration to be gained at looking at things you don't normally do. Great stuff, everybody .

Anyway, I'd like to put up a few thoughts about the boards too.

Like people were saying several pages ago, the current board layout is pretty hard. Especially with the TAD there at the top. It's complicated, it's foreign for new-comers who don't know anything about TAD, and with all the subforums it's downright impenetrable.

Putting it at the top implies it's the main attraction at CA. I'm not sure what the majority thinks, but in a site where most of the members can't participate I feel it's a bit alienating. There's already a lot of advertisements to scroll through as it is.

I'm not knocking any of those. They're great and deserve a place on the site, but I feel like it would be so much better if it was accessible art there at the top. So you open conceptart.org/forums and the BAM-- art!

(On a lesser note... is it just me or do Sketchbook, Critique Center and Fine Art overlap a lot? It feels like a lot of the content in there is interchangeable).

Also, how about reworking the front page? It feels like the entire time I've been hanging out at CA I've never seen that 'News' section filled. It doesn't look like there's any purpose to open it since we see the ads and artist profiles on top of the board index already and the Activites look like they're just shoved in there without much thought (and I can get to them with the same amount of clicks than if I go to the index directly anyway so it's not even a shortcut).

With a site as big and bustling as CA there's gotta be some stuff we can show off there. Artist of the month spotlight? Thread of the week? Piece of the day? "Check out what this sketch group has been up to" ? Sketchcrawl coverage?

From a newbie side, I think it would be a MUCH better introduction to CA than linking them to a face-full of boards. For established members, it's a much better way to see what's new since their last visit. Right now, I find myself skipping right to the board index every time I visit since there's really no reason to go look at that front page .

I think that's all I got right now. Hopefully there's something useful in there. I'm looking forward to things .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can assure you, I have not been thrown out of MB. I work on Massive Black's important business every single week. I own a very large chunk of MB, of which my stake has actually increased this spring and summer, am it's original founder, and I am on the Board of Directors which controls the company.

With that said, you have some fantastic suggestions and we are prepping CA 4.0 now for beta which should be just a few more weeks. All you ask for and more are coming real.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jason manley View Post
    with that said, you have some fantastic suggestions and we are prepping ca 4.0 now for beta which should be just a few more weeks. All you ask for and more are coming real.
    omgbbqthisisawesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I compliment you on your cause Jason Manley. If there is any way that I can assist please count me in. Cheers

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wont start telling my whole sad story. I have always had my art, even when i wasent able to draw, i was still drawing in my head. I always dreamed of one day i would be living of my creativity. CA been giving me inspiration and goals, that i will be able to draw like the big guys some day.

It have been a challenge to keep my self focused and i must admit that im a little bit envious of some of you guys. Though things seems to be getting better now and im able to draw every day at every chance i get. I know if i keep it up i will catch up and i will be the one to post my art i did for (the next big game).'

Thanks for keeping me focused and the eye on my goals. Jason Manley, i hope you reach all your dreams, not just for your sake but also for all it will help, and remember that even though it havent helped them directly, you still had an impact on ppl like me.

My Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=239346

-In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is evolving in a very interesting manner. I like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice you changed the title again, now it makes sense gj

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently started getting involved here I hope it is alright.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this place is the best ever ill be allways a member of this community
    i wish ca last forever

Last edited by CRYPT; February 9th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With that said, you have some fantastic suggestions and we are prepping CA 4.0 now for beta which should be just a few more weeks. All you ask for and more are coming real.

Are we there yet?
    SO.......

Necro thread BTW....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone needs to apply Rule #4 to this thread. Double Tap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PapZO7NXB3Q

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8