Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retro Gaming

Thanks

Retro Gaming

Well, I've been thinking about trying to get into some retro games. When I say that I mean pretty much anything before the current generation of consols. Specifically I'd like to get a SNES and a Genisis. I know I could just get an emulator for the games I'm interested in, but I would like to actually hold the real controllers in my hands...

I'm curious about the best place to actually get my hands on these wonderful devices. Ebay is the obvious place, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a reputable place that actually specializes in these kinds of things?

Thanks in advance.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    There used to be a ton of old gaming stores around this area. They've since gone under, but yeah Ebay is one good spot. As far as controllers, I recall them having them for PC too.

http://amzn.com/B002JAU20W

So I guess Amazon would be another spot too. Just make sure you go into sellers stores with the A-Z guarantee, because Amazon will refund the money if any disputes happen.

Thanks
    I happen to be into retro gaming myself, and I was wondering when someone was going to start a thread. For an old videogame shop, I know one that opened in Gulfport, MS called Game Warehouse. Of course, the Wii has the virtual console, but it could use more than three releases per week. As for emulators, try SNES9X, ZSNES, Gens, Nesten, FCE Ultra, Kega Lazurus, and MAME.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    I use Amazon and Video Game Central.

I've got a ton of old games and systems... Too many D:
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Well, I'm more interested in actually owning the actual origional consols. I see that there are Retro Duo systems, but I don't know if these things are any good. And actually, come to think of it, will these systems even work on a new TV? I have a 46" LCD that I got a deal on last year, but will I have to get an old tube tv to play these systems?
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    My Super NES runs fine on my new TV believe it or not. However, I haven't tried the Super Scope yet, so that may be out of the question. By the way, what Super NES games are you looking for?
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks
    So does the SNES just hook up with normal AV cables? Does it do that thing where it has the black bars on either side? I'm not really concerned about the light guns. If I'm really dying to get them then I'll fish an old TV out of a relative's basement.

As far as older games I really want to play, here is a short list:
    Super Castlevania 4 (SNES)
    Mega Man X (SNES)
    TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES)
    Super Mario Bros (SNES)
    Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past (SNES)
    Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Starfox 64 (N64)
    Ocarina of Time (N64)
    I don't know if it counts as retro yet, but I've been dying to play the Zelda Games for the Gamecube, actually there are a lot of first party Gamecube games I want. Maybe I should just start there. I imagine some of these games are pretty hard to get ahold of.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I still have a Dreamcast, it's outlasted all the other fools who have spent few hundred on their consoles with hard drive crashes and RLoDs.

Thanks
    All systems can hook up to new tvs. As long as you have AV input. Otherwise you can always get an adapter to hook into the cable/antenna input.

And the new Retro Duo systems were basically made because hardly anybody has old working NES systems. The Retro Duo's work great and are a hell of a lot better than trying to play the same game a 100 times only to run into a crap load of freezes and glitches. Nevermind when somebody accidently steps too hard on the floor.

Thats crazy you never got to play those games, I kinda wish I didn't remember them . Snes games are my all time favorites... Add Super Metroid and Kirby Super Star to that list for must havesss.

I've been replaying Demon's Crest, you should check that out as well .
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account

Thanks
    I collect the old systems too! I thought I was one of the few nerds who did hehe.

SNES is my favourite, I still have days where I absolutely have to play the old Donkey Kong for that. I just hope the cartridge continues to live, as I'm sure eventually it will fail me.

I've always found that if you go on craigslist or even to garage sales you find a suprising amount of old school video games if you're looking for a cheap fix too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Delicious View Post
    All systems can hook up to new tvs. As long as you have AV input. Otherwise you can always get an adapter to hook into the cable/antenna input.

And the new Retro Duo systems were basically made because hardly anybody has old working NES systems. The Retro Duo's work great and are a hell of a lot better than trying to play the same game a 100 times only to run into a crap load of freezes and glitches. Nevermind when somebody accidently steps too hard on the floor.

Thats crazy you never got to play those games, I kinda wish I didn't remember them . Snes games are my all time favorites... Add Super Metroid and Kirby Super Star to that list for must havesss.

I've been replaying Demon's Crest, you should check that out as well .
    Maybe I will try the Retro Duo...its going to be a while before I can get the money together to start this little dream of mine.

The first console I ever had was the N64, first game I ever actually beat was Ocarina of Time. That game is still among my absolute favorite games of all time (I imagine there are a lot of nostalgic nerds who can say the same). I never really got that many games for the N64, and at the time I wasn't really able to tell the good games from the bad.

Basically I just plain missed out on everything that came before the N64 because my family just couldn't afford any of them before that time. Now that I have some money, and some spare time I would love to go back and see what I missed.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Another place to find old video games is a flea market, which usually has old games for a good bargain. However, don't expect to find any obscure titles that few people have heard of. Of course, I still have my old systems to this very day.

Thanks
    Well, over the last couple weeks I managed to find a couple incredible deals. I am now the proud owner of a Nintendo Gamecube and Sega Genisis 3. I also have a line and some more systems that could be had for next to nothing (Dreamcast, SNES and PS2)...Guess I'm going to need a switchbox.

Anyways, I have a few games and maybe I'll do some reviews once I get through them. probably going to start with Vectorman on the Genesis.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    If you haven't played it on the N64 "Goldeneye" is a game you need.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I still have a Dreamcast, it's outlasted all the other fools who have spent few hundred on their consoles with hard drive crashes and RLoDs.
    Modern consoles feels like they are built with the love and care of a mcdonalds hamburger, the 360 in particular, its not bad and has great games but its feels so shoddy built.

Turok 1 and 2 on n64 is great allso, 2 is still vissualy intresting, had heap of n64 titels i tihnk i can give seom pointers of good titels. theo i have a hard time recomend perfect dark, i never enjoyed it as much as golden eye, may be the ovius unatended buggs it has.

If you like racing games then try find Road Rash 64 its a real gem, its horrid in term of looks but hard to beat on pure entertainment.

Thanks
    The Nintendo 64 is the most underrated game system around, with the Atari Lynx in second place.

Thanks
    At my company we have an internal classifieds web site. A couple of weeks ago someone in our other office was selling an original NES and a bunch of games for a hundred dollars, including all three Super Mario Bros. Sold.

I had to replace the pin connector the cartridge plugs into though. I was able to find someone in my city that was selling one, but it was a frustrating experience nonetheless.

Thanks
    Hundred dollars is pretty steep for an nes. Theres this junkyard near my hometown that had a section of free stuff laid out on tables. Got an nes, sega master system, nintendo 64, and a playstation for free(plus tons of games for each) from the dump. Best part was they all worked! If you got a wealthy town around you then try and check out the dump. If its anything like that one theres new stuff like that every week D:. Totally awesome.

Side note- Just realized the other day that I can play any Japanese Snes game on my Snes by carving slots under the holes on the bottom/back of the cartridge. So I've been playing Gundam Wing Endless Duel all week

SketchBook
    My Twitter Account

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    The Nintendo 64 is the most underrated game system around, with the Atari Lynx in second place.
    Goldeneye was the best multiplayer FPS for years , bearing in mind the intertubes didn't even really exist back then.

I still haven't unlocked bits of that 15 years later..I still have the original cartridge..We brought it out for a laugh one day, it was still great.

Someone needs to port it to todays mad consoles and affordable HD tvs..*
    "Turok" was pretty sweet too, that and "1080 Snowboarding"

"Fighters Destiny", anyone remember that?

* I remember someone trying to port it to Half Life2 : Source, but I don't think they ever finished it..
    Last edited by Flake; July 26th, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks
    Well, there is a suprising side effect to taking up retro gaming though. I made the mistake of having a DQ Blizzard (which I haven't had in like 10 years) right before firing up Vectorman (which I only played a couple times like 14 years ago). The resulting nostalgia trip drove me to the very brink of insanity.

Okay that is a bit of an exaggeration, but it was still a pretty strange experience. Maybe I'll have to eat a nostalgic treat every time I start up game I haven't played in over a decade and I can duplicate it. I'll have to find a copy of The Lost Vikings and get on of those Screwball icecream treats (do they even still make those?).

Anyways, I finished up Vectorman the other day, great game, I'll try and get a review or something up when I can.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Side note- Just realized the other day that I can play any Japanese Snes game on my Snes by carving slots under the holes on the bottom/back of the cartridge. So I've been playing Gundam Wing Endless Duel all week
    Damn you and your NTSC compatibility . I've still got my NES in the original box, but it's been broken for years now. Someday I'll change the pin-connector an get it fired up again. Got plenty of games for it.
    I did buy a SNES (PAL) 2 summers ago with "Super Mario World", "Turtles In Time" and "Street Fighter II Turbo". Played it all summer. Good times. Unfortunately my TV died, still have to buy a replacement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Damn you and your NTSC compatibility . I've still got my NES in the original box, but it's been broken for years now. Someday I'll change the pin-connector an get it fired up again. Got plenty of games for it.
    I did buy a SNES (PAL) 2 summers ago with "Super Mario World", "Turtles In Time" and "Street Fighter II Turbo". Played it all summer. Good times. Unfortunately my TV died, still have to buy a replacement.
    Goddd I want a PAL system so I can buy Terranigma . Been wanting that cart for a looong time.
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account

Thanks
    I only recently learned of Terranigma's existence. The game looks great and is definitely on my to play list. Unfortunately the English version cartridge is quite expensive, as is with most SNES games that are somewhat rare. There is always the localized German version which is much cheaper, although I don't have that much faith in my grasp of the German language .

Thanks
    Yea its real good. Just wish that they released it in the US . I also want Seiken Densetsu 3(think its just Secret of Mana 3), that game is sooo good.

You can always get the english translation of it through an emulator

SketchBook
    My Twitter Account

Thanks
    So many great games, so little time (unless you count procrastination ). Something like this would be quite handy for those rare games: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.p...products_id=39

I've been thinking of making my own someday, but I'm just too lazy to figure all this shit out .

Thanks
    Goddd I want a PAL system so I can buy Terranigma . Been wanting that cart for a looong time.
    that game is a masterpeice, i still regret i sold my snes now as the prices of the game has gone insane.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Bought Final Fantasy VII to see what all the fuzz is about - and it was suprisingly good, almost finished it now, and then it's time for FF IX.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Lord M, IX is my all time favorite FF. I love it! I hope you do too.

I'm playing Kid Chameleon again! My sister and I used to take shifts playing it because it was so long. My genesis is still kicking.

Thanks
    I've been playing Dynamite Heady and Rocket Knight on my Genesis. I simply can't believe I've never heard of them before.

Seriously, I got these for pretty cheap at an indoor flea market, $10 for both. Easily worth 10 times that!
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    You must hang out with the wrong people if you've never heard of those.

Also, 6 is the best Final Fantasy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast