Thanks
    Blog Entries

Getting on the ladder

I could have the break I needed. Had a few months working in warehouses and call centres with the occasional portrait commission. When my luck ran out and I was giving up I was given the opportunity to go live in this caravan by the sea at a resort. I accepted the invitation because I had no more money and there were no jobs around. I realised there could be bar work because it will be in season.

I was here a few days and while I was sorting out my job seekers allowance I saw a job advert on the systems called 'Creative Novelty Kiosk sales assistant'. The description described the position as to take photos at night and sell them. I called the place and left a voicemail as I already did nightclub photography the previous year. I got called a few hours later and the guy told me to come straight away for the interview. I told him I was in a different town and I was not wearing interview clothing. He said it does not matter as he will judge me on my character rather than what i am wearing. So I headed there, with old clothes with paint stains, hair which needs a cut and i hadn't shaved that morning. When in the interview I found out the guy was looking for a guy who could generate ideas, but who could also create designs and illustrations for his t-shirts, mugs and canvas prints.

I mentioned I could also web design, so he wants to see what I can do for a website he is planning. At night during the busy summer period he would like me to create caricatures and face painting in public. Not only this, he also just bought a print shop in the main resort and this will b an all year round business, so he says I could potentially have a permanent job in the design studio.

But there are downsides to this. He pays £6 and hour in cash. Long hours during the summer break (50 to 70 hours). And he is relying on me and the other people to turn around his business in 2 months. I will be working 10 hr days and sometimes even 12 hr days. But considering my last job was physical work in a warehouse for 8 hours a day I am sure drawing and painting for a little longer is something easy

I hope this will be the turning point Since uni I was scraping through crap jobs with no prospects or creativity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good work for crappy pay is better than crappy work for good pay.

Congratulations.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,700 Times in 4,610 Posts
    Why can't you do the caricatures and face painting yourself and work for a percentage of the t-shirts and mugs?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm been paid by the hour and the guy has hired people will use their different strengths. I'm happy with it because I have been working in crap jobs for months and know how hard it is to find a job now. If I begin demanding from him I will be let go and I would prefer some money than none. Of course if he becomes too demanding I will look at my options.