Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy?

Thanks

Are you happy?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be in lounge or in art discussion.

I'm sitting here talking to someone that I probably shouldn't talk to anymore, because he never has anything positive to say and is a real downer.

Anyways I'm discussing career choices with him and he's telling me most artists are unhappy, I have no idea what deep part of his ass he pulled this out of, but I'd like to know anyways.

I'm currently far far away from a career as an artist, still learning, still studying, still loving it, but I don't know what it's like. For those who actually do make a living as an artist, are you happy?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    There's some old prejudice that artists in general are unorganized, unstable lunatics who like to cut off an ear or two, and achieve fame only after their death. However, the professional artists I know are very happy with what they do and quite stable and organized people.
    I'm sure there are exceptions, and some contemporary artists make a big show out of being the crazy artsy type, but if you love art it won't matter for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanialGlover View Post
    I'm sitting here talking to someone that I probably shouldn't talk to anymore, because he never has anything positive to say and is a real downer.

Anyways I'm discussing career choices with him and he's telling me most artists are unhappy, I have no idea what deep part of his ass he pulled this out of, but I'd like to know anyways...
    Sounds like sour grapes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    I'm guessing like every fucking human on earth?
    No? ...ok then.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well.. I haven't had too many jobs yet, just a few freelance jobs. But so far I just get excited to work on something. So I don't think I'll ever be unhappy with the art.. unless I take up jobs that dulls down the art I produce but I try my best to stay away from jobs that kills the joy of making art. I'd rather have an awesome art job with a small pay than an art job without any fun and just money.

Just make sure you stay on the right path and don't take too many shortcuts, you might get lost.

Thanks
    Happiness is about how you live life. This has nothing to do with being an artist.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sometimes im happy, sometimes not so happy. The artist part it is the thing that makes me the most happy!

Thanks
    Nothing makes me happier than creating something I can be proud of, and if I'm able to make a career out of it some day, then hell, what more could I ask for? I'm happy as it is now so I can't see success changing anything.

Of course, I guess the real question is "and what if success never comes?"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,760 Posts
    Anyways I'm discussing career choices with him and he's telling me most artists are unhappy, I have no idea what deep part of his ass he pulled this out of, but I'd like to know anyways.

I'm currently far far away from a career as an artist, still learning, still studying, still loving it, but I don't know what it's like. For those who actually do make a living as an artist, are you happy?
    Yeah,
    Most people go to jobs sitting in traffic for two hours of everyday of their freaking life, working for someone doing something that they hate or that adds nothing to the world. They sold their chilhood dreams a long time ago for some short term gain and now try to crush anyone else who has a dream because they don't want to be reminded of what cowards they are. Sound like the person you are talking to?So if the person you are talking to thinks artists aren't happy what do they do that is so much fun?

As an artist I get up everyday and paint what I want I travel to beautiful places to paint and people give me money to keep doing it.
    Happy? Not not in a haha snoopy dance kind of way but I am satisfied that my life is what I made it and it is very rewarding to be compensated for my creativity ideas and abilities; going on thirty plus years of it now.
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 28th, 2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: fixing broken quote tags for easier reading

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Only people like this make me unhappy. You need new friends.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    Well not so much happy but accomplished. I can make fantasies come to life. That's a pretty fucking awesome achievement for me.

Thanks
    Dan, I know what you mean. I have a friend like that, we graduated High School together and she is hoping to become a Graphic Designer.

However, whenever get the chance to talk to her; used to be a lot, now not so much (and she has a BF but she still calls me sometimes), she always seems to say something negative about her life more than positive or complains sometimes about her classes. I don't hear any love in her voice too much for anything even though sometimes she says she happy and excited.

EDIT: I am also the one who tries to push her to better her art and says that she can call if she needs help with stuff.

I know I shouldn't talk to this type of person as the attitude can rub off on you...but I do keep in touch with her just to how's shes doing and stuff. Life tends to suck when you have friends who are not happy with their life. ):
    Last edited by Monkabit; June 28th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Never, never hang around with a downer unless he is your best friend or close relative AND you want to help him get over it. Anybody else avoid like plague. The first and only downer I allowed near me for a long time almost ruined my life by sucking me into his insane jadedness.

Thanks
    I am happy. I'd rather do this and be poor than work at a shit job where customers yell at me all day and I can't even tell them off for being pricks because then I'll get yelled at by my boss. Ugh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    I definitely feel happier than in my previous non-art job.

Thanks
    I had an artist tell me once that it's immoral to be happy with you're own work because then you'll stagnate instead of continuing to improve.

I dunno - I don't think I know anyone who's particularly happy about their career cause we all hate the necessity of working for a living, having our work directed and evaluated by others, and all jobs have a few particularly annoying aspects. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy life and try to be a happy person.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Yeah, I'm fucking ecstatic. What's it to you?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    There was some study I read about that suggested that how happy or unhappy you are depended mostly on your personality and the way your brain worked. So if you're generally satisfied with life then you'll probably still be satisfied with life when you're a professional artist and if you're not then art's not going to cure that.

Like consider your negative friend there. Can you imagine them suddenly turning into Polly Cheerful if they got a different job? Likely not.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    So ....if we know it.

Should we clap our hands?

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not happy. And this career is the thing that keeps me sane enough to get through it all. Well that and Starburst Jellybeans. SO much flavor!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cmalidore For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Arshie, those are the things without the shoes usually...right?

I'm happy when something hurts, because it means i ain't dead yet.

I'm happy when something goes pretty much the way it's supposed do after i plan it out.

I'm happy when I get something new and shiny to work with.

I'm happy when i find something nice and old to work with.

I'm happy when somebody smiles at me.

I'm happy when toddlers look at me in wide-eyed amazement instead of running off scared.

I'm happy when my cats purr and mark me as theirs.

I'm happy when somebody I'm watching makes it all come together--the look of happy amazement is nice.

I'm happy somebody else is happy.

I'm happy when some people who really deserve it get a lit stick of dynamite jammed up their ass just before they get pushed off a very high building.

I'm happy when people talk to each other rather than at each other.

I'm happy I survived all the things I went through, both good and bad, and I wouldn't trade the experience for any amount of money.

...and I'm happy I can do things that others can't with a reasonable amount of success, and if that's being an artist, so be it.

...but I'm not happy or unhappy to BE an artist. That's like being happy or unhappy because my feet smell or my undies are clean--who the hell cares?
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I'm happy when somebody smiles at me.

I'm happy when somebody I'm watching makes it all come together--the look of happy amazement is nice.

I'm happy somebody else is happy.

I'm happy when some people who really deserve it get a lit stick of dynamite jammed up their ass just before they get pushed off a very high building.

I'm happy when people talk to each other rather than at each other.

I'm happy I survived all the things I went through, both good and bad, and I wouldn't trade the experience for any amount of money.

...and I'm happy I can do things that others can't with a reasonable amount of success, and if that's being an artist, so be it.
    Holy crap! you read my mind! Because these are usually the things; in my opinion, that make life worth living.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    I actually could not be happier.
    I work all day in video games. Then I go home to my awesome wife and spend time with her. When I am not doing either of those things, I am painting heavy metal album covers.

I have 2 childhood dreams that I am participating in AND a wife who supports me unconditionally and even critiques me when I ask.

Love my wife, love my job(s), love my life.

Thanks
    making your happieness depending on the fact if you have a "career" (whatever that shit means ) as an artist, is for sure one of the most sucessful and probably quickest paths to unhappieness.
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    I left a high-paying, prestigious government job to follow my dream of a career as a freelance artist. It's been two years and I've never looked back.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I definitely wouldn't say I'm happy, if you're finding an average...

That said, I'm certainly happy sometimes, and my unhappiness is 100% my own fault and has nothing to do with being an artist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Am I happy when I'm painting? I'm absorbed, concentrating, frustrated, occasionally bored, sometimes pleased... bit like life, really.

Thanks
    Without art, I would be unhappy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I'm happy when something hurts, because it means i ain't dead yet.
    From what I hear, that means every fibre of your being is happy. How you doin', Furball?

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast