Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Cool body of work in here so far, i really admire the amount of studies you've been doing, i can already note improvement from the first post to this last one. Very promising stuff, i'm looking forward to seeing more!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ bapsi - Thanks! Still not quite finished with it. Been working on and off every other week or so trying to get through other projects. Hopefully this update shows a bit more progress then just the under painting.

@ Austen - Glad you enjoy it. I think the studies are really helping my progression, but they need to be coupled with more imaginative work to show a better application of knowledge. I'm starting to build up a collection of sketches and pieces that I haven't released yet, but it should be a hefty art dump when I do.

Just a few updates. A further along master copy. I'm still avoiding the hands and keys, and the darks in the background over his shoulder are too busy. But all in good time.

Sectra's Book o' Sketches

And a piece from life painting this week. Moving onto a double primary pallet rather than this dead pallet we used for the master copy. I'm still getting used to the vibrancy of the colors, which is strange because this is virtually the same double primary we used in landscape painting, and I remember it being easier to neutralize the hues in a plein air setting then in studio working with skin tones. Ah well. Next week will be better I hope. Maybe I'll get around to indicating fingers and toes, and not make super long arms on the next pose, haha.

Thanks for looking guys! Until next time

Thanks
    hey dood,

I like your paintings. For the master copy, it looks like in some areas your values are out of place, specifically for example on his lower hand at the thumb. Pay very close attention to value in light and value in shadow and try to make each stroke say something in the painting, this will avoid mudiness and will help with clarity. As for the figure, same crit and just keep hacking away at learning structure and proportion. Getting better all the time man! keep posting.

Thanks
    You're doing some awesome shit yo.

No idea why but seeing other people bust their ass always puts me in the mood to follow suit. Gunna keep watchin and hopefully absorb some of that motivation

Thanks
    @ bpic - I know man. I'm staying too far away from his hands it's sickining. Here's the original. [His] right hand holding the keys feels so unfinished, and without attacking his left hand to finish, the whole piece starts to fall apart:

@ aveh - that's the only way isn't it though? Haha. Sacrificing sleep to draw giant robots and ninjas. I haven't figured out yet if I'm learning to control my art or if it's already started controlling me :/ Good to hear you're getting fired up though!! You've got some nice work

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to surus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ surus - They're the best!! I'll have more to come I promise

Thanks
    when you gonna update! WHAAAAAAAAA.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ooo I like your stuff! please upload some more!

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    you stopped updating?!?!

Thanks
    @ bpic - r1gh7 n0w
    @ my57 - ahhhhhh!!
    @ aveh - i'm here!! i'm here!!

Sorry for yet again another delay guys. I'm not the best at this daily updating thing :/ Hopefully this will tide you over till the next big batch of artery is ready

Crits and comments strongly encouraged. Characters aren't my strong suit and I'm trying to really push personality/non-stiffness in my characters this semester. Graduating this summer, so if I can be proud of at least ONE char. in my portfolio, I'll have accomplished something over the last 3 years. Haha

Last edited by S3CTR4; January 14th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    At this point I think you should just dive in and get to work on her, just be suuuuper nitpicky about everything and you will be surprised about how it will turn out.

Thanks
    @ aveh - I think you're right. It sucks though because she's one of five characters that we have to illustrate for Shakespear's "The Tempest" and we're only allowed to use one accent color to focus more on the design aspect of the costuming.

I think what I'm going to do though (if the other 4 characters turn out alright) is pose them in a group shot and run a full-color render across the page. We'll see.

Here's some quick 10-15 min. color thumbs for a side project I'm working on using a kick ass new color technique. Should prove EXTREMELY helpful for working directly with color rather than overlaying on value studies as I've done in the past. Really excited!

Thanks for checking! If this weekend goes according to plan i should have another update by monday. fingers crossed. Back to logo/client work for tonight :/

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.