Thanks

Wrist Brace help

I'm curious about wrist braces, because I've noticed that a lot of people that draw a lot develop wrist problems eventually to some degree, so do wrist braces help to prevent those problems? If so, is there a certain kind of wrist brace to get? Any insight into this would be appreciated : ]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    Wrist braces definitely help, but exercising the wrist will help even more. I have a bad wrist and I need to wear a brace to keep my wrist straight when I'm not using it.

Thanks
    Agreed with crossmirage about exercising the wrist. Just wearing a brace is not the best idea since it doesn't fix the problem. There are also various stretches you can do to help relieve pain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    I'd like to add to the advice by suggesting make sure you have support for your elbow and wrist when you draw at a table. Many problems come from bad posture/ positions. Research ergonomic tips to help you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    i had a the same question as jeremy. ive been having some elbow pain that just started recently since i have been trying to be "hardcore"

is that common?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 636 Posts
    Working out and strengthening the wrist is important!
    I had some pretty bad tendonitis and wear a wrist brace at night to avoid sleeping on the hand (I sleep on my stomach) and to make sure it's straight so it can recover.
    Physiotherapy is also helpful, if you are having hand trouble, try to get that if your insurance covers it

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 559 Posts
    Hey guys - you may want to check out this http://www.nsdpowerballs.com/powerball-for-rehab.html

I also have been suffering from sore wrist/arms and have started using a powerball - I'll report back after a bit of use and let you know if things improve PowerBalls have been around a while now and still seem to be getting positive results.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    I f you are having elbow wrist pain you should see an orthopedist. I can tell you I've been drawing painting digital and traditional for 20 plus years and have no problems. In the beginning I was told desk height and posture are a big factor. My computer desk allows me to support all of my forearm on the desk. The desk height is set so my shoulder is not raised up unnaturally. If you lean your wrist or forearm on the edge of your desk to type or work you are inviting problems.

Thanks
    Here are some great stretches you can do to avoid tendonitis. My right wrist hurt pretty much constantly until I started doing these. Now it feels fine.

Those little squishy stress-balls are also great. Just make sure to take breaks to stretch your hand every half-hour or so.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Yeah, I use the stress-ball. Same for playing guitar/bass which my hand can get rather sore from.

And in regards to that video, this shit is awesome:

Thanks for introducing me to this guy!
    Last edited by OldJake666; June 27th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by algenpfleger View Post
    Working out and strengthening the wrist is important!
    I had some pretty bad tendonitis and wear a wrist brace at night to avoid sleeping on the hand (I sleep on my stomach) and to make sure it's straight so it can recover.
    Physiotherapy is also helpful, if you are having hand trouble, try to get that if your insurance covers it
    Healthcare in america....hahaha

*back to drawing*

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpahl View Post
    Here are some great stretches you can do to avoid tendonitis. My right wrist hurt pretty much constantly until I started doing these. Now it feels fine.

Note: my sore wrists / arms are not extreme but enough to be irritating

reporting back after 1 day: Having used the powerball for one session (didn't read any particular instruction method but went for 2-3mins gentle 4000/5000rpm each hand) already there is a reduced pain/irritation.

That dude's stretching vid is awesome though - followed his instructions through the vid and they also really reduced the irritation immediately - thanks! And stretching is free!

One great thing about the Powerball is it can really give your arms/wrists a workout at higher rpms (only do this if your arms /wrists are well) - I've managed a top speed of 11786rpm before and man does it pump your arms up!

Thanks
    Make sure you get enough B vitamins in your diet, since B vitamins are the major vitamin your body uses to maintain nerve health.

learning some simple massage techniques to help your wrist relax after use might not be a bad idea either. just make sure you have good sources to learn from, because improper massage can actually do damage to your tissues.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    I had RSI in both hands and arms for a year or so...the only thing the doctor told me was that wrist braces are bad if you don't really need it, and from what I can gather it's only for extreme injuries like tendonitis and brakes etc.

The best advice was to start gentle weight training, never overdoing it, and just gently build up your muscles to support your tendons so they don't get tired. That and good posture and you shouldn't get any pain. (I recommend Pilates for posture and core strength, I've found it invaluable, but Tai Chi and gentle stretches like that video are also good, it's whatever works for you and your lifestyle)

Thanks
    contributing to this old ass thread because why not

i got rsi from digital drawing 4 years ago now, for years i have managed it - a combination of minecraft (clicking), phone use and the specific shape of the wacom pen is what did it - i have pain in various places too so its a very serious issue for me

the source is mainly what is called the Subscapularis which is located underneath the arm and is apart of the shoulder blade area in general.

for me i have been told that my issue is that i am hyper mobile which is why this is a very serious issue for me.

I will be taking up kendo to help build strength in my wrists and fingers - i definitely reccomend some way of making this more fun if you can. Ive have this issue flare up 5-7 times, 3 time i have had to take actual period breaks which have given me severe depression. drawing is not just my passion its my work - its the basis of my whole life in a way.

points: if you are long and very mobile in your hands and upper body - do not over stretch ! this can actually make your issue much worse, youre body has too much elasticity so what you want to do is increase the muscles in your hands and arm to create more rigidity, which whille help.

I think kendo is a really good idea because your tool is essentially a tiny stick - so working with a giant stick is like weight training! spending 8 hours sitting and drawing, it doesnt matter if you take breaks and stretch - youre still super inactive but using one very specific part of your body in a repeitive way, its gonna cause issues eventually!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay Harper View Post
    I think kendo is a really good idea because your tool is essentially a tiny stick - so working with a giant stick is like weight training!
    I am not sure whether that line of reasoning applies. You may want to consult a therapist or a pro in oriental medicine for this, to make sure you do not screw up you arm any further. Anyways, I hope it gets better!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    yeah my physio has recommended building up muscles esp in the hand specifically to help with this issue

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyndsay Harper For This Useful Post: