Different types of zoom and levels of pressure in Corel Painter 11

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Different types of zoom and levels of pressure in Corel Painter 11

Hi!.

I've recieved yesterday my new Intuos4 M and I was asking about two questions...I've been searching for along the board but I've found anything. Forgive me if it was answered in other thread before and to save time redirect me to the right link where I can find the answer...

Said this let me ask you the two questions:

a).-How can I zoom mean while I'm centering the zoom on the location of the screen where I want in real time (moving the pointer with the wacom's grip pen or simply the mouse) ?...Do you know what I mean?. I'm a 3DSMAX user and I can change the way I do the zoom in/out in the way I've explained before:it saves me alot of time because I can make pan and zoom at the same time...

b).-Does Corel Painter 11 take profit of the full 2048 levels of pressure of my new and recently bought Intuos 4 Medium PTK 640 from wacom or it only let me choose 1024 levels of pressure?. I've unmarked the option of the wacom's configuration tablet which allows to enjoy older applications previous to the launching of the Intuos4 and which were ready to enjoy "only" of the 1024 levels of pressure...As you can imagine, I'd love to enjoy of my full 2048 levels of pressure of my new Intuos4 M.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards.

Last edited by jorgon; June 24th, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter 11 does not do this kind of zooming. Your options are using CTRL and numpad minus and plus, or selecting the zoom tool and either clicking to zoom in or drawing a zoom marquee and adding ALT to zoom out, or using the touch wheel on your intuos4. The first touchwheel setting will be default zoom in and out, but not by useful amounts... going down from 100% goes 90 > 81 > 72 > 65 etc and up goes 111 > 123 > 137 > 152 etc. You can also double click the magnifier tool in the toolbox to jump to 100%, double click the hand tool to show the whole image, as well as using keyboard shortcuts for these.

That's the bad news... the good news is that Painter 11 uses all 2048 levels of pressure.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Painter 11 is also one of the few programs that take advantage of about every little "perk" the intuos have to offer. Tilt, rotation (need the art pen) etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh... This question has at least made me search for an answer to the irritating Intuos touchwheel zoom behaviour.

It was set to auto pan/zoom. Once I changed it to the same as the keyboard zoom in/out it works now in the same more useful increments... although once in a while I seem to end up at 101%

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much JohnMalcom1970. What a pity Corel Painter 11 doesn't have such a feature...Now is when I realise that the GUI of 3DSMAX2009 it's awesome...

It's true that the zoom through the Intuos 4 is discrete although it is supposed an analog control through the touchring but...What can we do??...I think that it depends on the own program, Corel Painter 11...

They should implement this feature...It's an important lack. But I love so many things in this program...

Thank you very much for answering so fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One piece of advice when using the touch ring on the intuos 4 for zooming is to set it at the slowest setting too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe Arshes Nei but I won't have to give some turn arounds to the touchring?...Anyway the slow response I though that was given by the processor, pardon, graphics card and mine is a bit slow...In my case I should buy an i7920 with a nVidia GTX285 (for instance) with CUDA for takeing profit of the new real time render engines like Arion or vRayRT...But, this can be (by now) only in my imagination...It's too expensive and I just invested only 2 days ago in my Intuos4 M 273Euro...I need to recover my budget...

Thank you for your help Arshes Nei

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this version of Painter 11 with it patched? I recall it locking up early on before you applied the patch to the program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Patched?.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter 11 straight out of the box has bugs. You need to patch it, or apply an update. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1234450613802

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arhses Nei, but, will I can zoom in and out with it in the way I'm looking for?...I have my reserves about it...It's a feature that It's hard to believe which could be implemented in a patch or update...I think that the best policy for Corel would be to implement some more features and launch all the pack as another new version, with the new features among them, the "dynamic" zoom...

Anyway maybe I'm wrong and, are you sure that is this feature implementedin this/these patch/es?. Which are the new advantages or features thanks to this patch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgon View Post
    They should implement this feature...It's an important lack. But I love so many things in this program...
    No, they should not.
    I don't know how long you've been into CG in general, but
    2D and 3D apps have different workflows, different engines and different approach to user interface.
    in 3dsmax you have a set of cameras within each scene, and their movement in XYZ is mapped to some certain shortcuts (alt+left click + drag, or whatever - I'm using maya anyway).
    in mudbox/zbrush/etc you are working with pretty much the same concept - it's a 3D model in 3D world with camera that you can phisically align.

With painter, you have a flat multi-layered document and no "cameras" per se, so you can't center your zooming at some point.
    However, most of Painter users don't exactly need the same kind of freedom with scrolling (we don't even have a clean aliasing code at this point for the static zoom options - would you really like to look at your nicely zoomed out picture with tonns of artefacts and crappy aliasing?);
    photoshop is currently combining both 2d and 3d projection painting, thus adobe have made some certain upgrades to 2D-oriented program core, so you have similar centered-zooming options (in the recent cs4 and cs5 releases.)

Keep in mind that painter is MANY years behind when it comes to the tech side.
    I don't want Corel to spend time on fancy, but pretty useless features, that won't make work easier or more stable.
    The feature you're looking for is, certainly, nice to have, but I can imagine how much crashes and weird errors it will bring with corel's current approach to coding.

And yep, seconding Arshes's suggestion - install the SP 1 asap, painter 11 was more like a buggy beta at the time of release.

by the way, if you really NEED this feature, you may post a suggestion at painterfactory.com
    I'm moderately sure your voice won't be heard, but give it a try.
    Maybe they have some big changes coming for p.12 and your idea will be considered.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that this feature should exist in both 3D and 2D type of programs.

I'm 35 and I'm drawing and painting since I was 9 and 13 respectively but till I have acquired an Intuos 4 M I haven't started to enjoy these features and overall, ADVANTAGES of the digital painting: I can erase 1000 times and the paper doesn't get dirty...I can mix colors in the way I want and with the same fidelity as in the real world I would do...It's fantastic!.

I have used Corel Photo Paint 12 and Photoshop frequently but with no deep vision of use because trying to paint digitally with a mouse was a bit "difficult"...

I've recently received my Intuos4M PTK640 and Oh my God...I'm amazed with it. The feeling when I sketch or paint is surprising and when I erase bith the eraser of the top of the grip pencil is a wonderful experience. I couldn't wait more and I had to tell this (i recognize that it's not related eith the original subject of the trhead, but it takes the same...I'm so happy with my Intuos 4M!!

So, now I can make some thing I always was dreaming off...Oh my god...I can add brights wherever I want with or without getting dirty...It's fantastic!.

I think that it's super-productive to be zooming meanwhile you are changing the center of the screen simply moving the mouse or the grip pencil in the case of a digital tablet.

In the case of the digital tablet I was trying to turn around through the touch ring and moving the cursor with the grip pen but it seems that it's not possible...What a pity!...Just like I do when I model objetcs or displace inside a 3DSMAX scene. It's super productive!.

Related with the patches of Corel Painter 11: is it so bbuggy?. I have 10 hours only as user of this beautiful program. I love the palette mixer and the texture of the brushes...Comparing it with Photoshop CS4 I think that it's more friendly at first sight than Photshop CS4.

Thanks for all your feedback. It's really useful for me.

Best regards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, painter 11 is buggy. Painter has always been, but some versions came out worse than other.
    looks like most of the bugs were fixed (a year after the official launch) and stability was improved, but I'm still staying on painter 6.1 and painter 10.

I'm really glad that you enjoy painter.
    I was really disappointed in the last release though.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be happy with a separate scalable Navigation window more than the zoom option you want. It's easier to work that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.