(Image Update!) Thumbnail Concepts for Challenge

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(Image Update!) Thumbnail Concepts for Challenge

Heya folks,
    It's been a while since I posted here but I thought I'd get back into the swing of things. I've been producing a ton of cartography lately so it's great to sink my teeth into a complex illustration again.

The illustration is for the ArtOrder challenge "Gotta Have A Hook".

Here's the art direction:
    Setting - A cavern
    Characters - A Male Dwarf Fighter and a Hook Horror
    Scene - The dwarf has just delivered a mighty smack to the hook horror and knocked it backward through a stalagmite and/or stalactite.
    Details: The dwarf is wearing heavy scale mail armor. Wielding a warhammer and a heavy shield.

Don't hold back if you have crits or kudos. I'll be developing a finished drawing next and developing a full color painting for the final.

Mike

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mike Schley; August 8th, 2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Update
    Mike Schley Illustration and Design
    http://www.mikeschley.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say the first panel gives a good sense of impact and conflict than the other two.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with OmenSpirits. The first one has a better read.

The second one is kind of divided in two. The way I see it the dwarf looks like it's dancing or something like that. And the hook horror thingy is looking like it just dodged an attack. The two don't add up well.
    The third one is quite decent. I think it would have worked a lot better if the dwarfs back was facing us like we were standing behind him. That would have made the read as it being a fight much better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No question about it, the first one is the way to go out of the three. The action just isn't clear in the other ones and they just feel like awkward compositions in general (unless it's for a comic book panel).
    My one nit about the first one is that the direction the dwarf is swinging his hammer doesn't quite agree with the general direction the creature's body and head is going. Possibly have him swinging the opposite way?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep. I was leaning towards the first sketch from the start, even though I like the foreshortening in the second and the dwarfs outfit in the third. The composition and action just seem clearer. I'll probably turn the creatures head towards the viewer a bit and adjust the dwarf so that his features and outfit resembles the one in sketch three.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first one is best but I find the movement a bit awkward in that one. He's swinging the hammer down but the beast is flung back/upwards. I'd have the dwarf swing the hammer the other way (upwards).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Detailed Drawing

So I went with the first thumbnail and developed a fully realized drawing. I'm laying in the broader values and colors now and should have it wrapped up by tomorrow night.

Crits are definitely welcome!

Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the dwarfs left hand is a big too bit compared to its right- and the mace is too small I think, that looked better in the thumbnails.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible line work! That must have taken a good several sessions.
    I agree that the weapon looks too small, should be easy enough to fix that in the digital version.
    I'm also thinking that the dwarf's line of action/gesture was better in your thumbnail. You probably won't want to change anything majorly at this point, but for academic purposes, I'd say that if he was leaned over more and his swinging arm was exaggeratedly extended, it would read more dynamically. Also (and I think you could consider adjusting this), I think his head placement is exaggerated in the wrong direction as the way you have it now, it seems to effectively contract and diminish the grand action of the swinging arm. I'd say a more dynamic placement would be over his right shoulder and tilted to his right. Try playing with that in PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to play with it myself for fun, see what you think:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color Development

Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    I think the dwarfs left hand is a big too bit compared to its right- and the mace is too small I think, that looked better in the thumbnails.
    I've modified the warhammer and the left hand in the attached working version. Let me know what you think. The colors aren't anywhere near finished but I figured I'd post them as they progress. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by wooblood View Post
    I'm also thinking that the dwarf's line of action/gesture was better in your thumbnail. You probably won't want to change anything majorly at this point, but for academic purposes, I'd say that if he was leaned over more and his swinging arm was exaggeratedly extended, it would read more dynamically. Also (and I think you could consider adjusting this), I think his head placement is exaggerated in the wrong direction as the way you have it now, it seems to effectively contract and diminish the grand action of the swinging arm. I'd say a more dynamic placement would be over his right shoulder and tilted to his right. Try playing with that in PS.
    Thanks for the suggestions! The rework you posted looks great but I might pull the head back a tad. Seems a little bit too extreme. I'm definitely going to adjust the piece with the new posture though so thanks for the input.

Funny you should mention adjusting the original before scanning it into PhotoShop. The thumbnails were in-fact worked out on paper but all the line work in the detailed drawing was created in PhotoShop to begin with, so modifications are no problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am just glad you changed the hit direction. I just hate when someone gets hit one direction, then his face faces the other direction(like in the thumbs.) I would have made the mace a bit more massive and added as much facial detail to the beast as you did the dwarf, but good job overall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schley View Post
    Funny you should mention adjusting the original before scanning it into PhotoShop. The thumbnails were in-fact worked out on paper but all the line work in the detailed drawing was created in PhotoShop to begin with, so modifications are no problem.
    Wow, yeah I totally thought that was a pencil/pen drawing. I guess it didn't occur to me that you would use that sort of a hatching drawing style in digital format. Nice job either way!

Members who have read this thread: 5