"Artists don't contribute to society" What? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Artists don't contribute to society" What?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to feel like that butthead you were dealing with. I felt that way do to ignorance on my behalf. I decided. 10 years ago, to fix that problem and to find the very root of it. I found my answer. The root of my problem was a failed drawing class when I was a freshman in college. Honestly, the teacher did not teach well and took out on his students. I say that because I have since learned what that class taught and whole lot more. All I needed was the right teacher.

My point...your butthead has, likely, been told that he cannot draw, paint, or something else. So, he's stopped any pursuit of art at all. Someday he will recognize the error of ways, and become one of us..sketchbook carrying cool peeps that run around drawing everything. LOL

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf29a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darkwolf29a: thats an interesting point. some people might go to that, if they were told they didn't draw well. its sad that people would say it so plainly [and without actual constructive comments]. And it'd be cool if he became one of us "sketchbook carrying cool peeps that run around drawing everything. LOL" X33

Last edited by Dreamyth; June 23rd, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Even if dreams seem out of reach, reach for them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakhon View Post
    The first question I have is...WHY?! are you paying attention to Facebook (edited)?
    Corrected.

But at the same time, I can see what the guy is saying. I'm sure there's a lot of artists who contribute but as for me, I'm still living in my parent's living room.

Not basement.

Living room.

T_T

But yeah, most artists contribute to society in some way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    Corrected.

But at the same time, I can see what the guy is saying. I'm sure there's a lot of artists who contribute but as for me, I'm still living in my parent's living room.

Not basement.

Living room.

T_T

But yeah, most artists contribute to society in some way.
    D: awghh, that stinks. What'd you major in, out of curiosity? And i'm sure you contribute still, just in a different way.

Even if dreams seem out of reach, reach for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an interesting thread.

The concept never even occurred to me. Contribute to society? If I make money I pay taxes.. done.

The 'rampager' has obviously had his dreams gutted and left to bleed to death before him. Like any rational human he now, consciously or not wishes to do this to others.

I understand because I have been this way before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like a lost cause, that guy. There will always be people like him and arguing with them usually doesn't yield any results.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artists are excellent landfill.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artists comtribute to the society by supporting therapists, hospitals, psychologists, drug companies, mortuaries, etc.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And as long as people pay for art... who's gonna stop us anyway?

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artists are good eatin'!

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    I guess it's settled then:

Art is useful!
    The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.
    The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.

Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

The nineteenth century dislike of realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.

The nineteenth century dislike of romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass. The moral life of man forms part of the subject-matter of the artist, but the morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium. No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved. No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything. Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art. Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art. From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type. All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors. Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital. When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself. We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

All art is quite useless.

--Oscar Wilde, Preface to the Picture of Dorian Gray

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, Oscar Wilde was seriously a badass. That is such a good quote. I need to read some of his books...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2