Issues with tensing up
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Issues with tensing up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Issues with tensing up

Hi everyone. I thought Id start a thread to share my experience with tension and nerves while drawing... especially from imagination. I find that when I take out my sketchbook to just draw from my head.. I cant strike a balance between being tense and relaxing. If I just let loose and scribblee.. I get just that .. scribbles. In order for me to draw correct anatomy or whatever else Im attempting.. I need to use ultimate concentration.. which in turn makes me tense, nervous and just plain unhappy. What do you guys do if youve ever felt this? I feel like being tense is holding me back, but at the same time I cant see how mindlessly drawing like it doesnt matter what comes out will get me anywhere. All I know is.. the tense feeling is awful.. like the walls are closing in around me and fear takes over. It sounds like im just being a baby but its always been an honest issue for me. converse!!!

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig where what you're saying JP, I've faced the same sort of problems, and I think it is about striking a balance.

Try different media. I've found using pens instead of pencils or tablet when sketching will result naturally in more care being taken with my lines, as I know there will be no erasing anything. On the other hand I work fast because I know the pen drawing won't be colored or rendered- so I can just do it quickly without fretting that I need perfectly neat linework.

Just keep mixing it up. Do quick studies with a 30 sec time limit, and ones with 5 mins. I had a look at your sketchbook, I think you're linework is good.
    But if you're not using fineliners or ballpoint ever, try it.

Another thing I have found useful is to do a sketch with really abstract scribbly linework, and then go back over it and find the shapes I like and render them/accentuate them properly. And of course the biggest atristic confidence booster for your hand would be crapload of practice I think.

It sounds like you may need to try something to ease the stress too. I find playing music while drawing, or playing a DVD of your favourite 90's sitcom can help. Even some incense and moodlighting can do wonders.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw more? The right amount of looseness comes from confidence and confidence comes from lots of practice. Sure the first time you draw an apple from imagination you'll tense up but will you still tense up 500 apples later? 5000?

You might also try doing more studies from life. I find it more relaxing to turn my brain off and copy what's in front of me, you might too.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks both of you. Yes its definetely more relaxing to draw from life.. I dont really have any issues mentally when drawing from life. Its only really when Im making things up. I guess the answer to this just like most other questions is to draw more.. get the mileage up.

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.