Sketchbook: Furiana's SB

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Furiana's SB

Thanks

Furiana's SB

I'm an artist who uses traditional media, mainly colored pencil and charcoal.

I tend to come and go, but I try to return feedback when I get it. Speaking of feedback: Critiques are welcomed, especially when they point out recurring problems.

Now, on to the art!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by furiana; June 24th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Today's sketches

Charcoal

Last edited by furiana; June 22nd, 2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Trouble uploading the images

Thanks
    Leaving out the gesture sketches today.

Thanks
    Again, leaving out the gesture sketches. I probably won't post more of those until I think I see a clear improvement. Hopefully that won't take too long!

I'm trying out a new style of outlining/shading for this one. Some of the hatching got lost in the scan, but I quite like the results IRL. It gives the drawing more life than I'd expect out of a chip clip!

Last edited by furiana; June 24th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    A terrycloth towel. I'm quite pleased with how this turned out!

Thanks

Anatomy

I might as well keep track of my progress with anatomy here, too. I already got some feedback in this thread, and it sounds like I mainly need practice. So, I've come up with a lesson plan for myself!

I'm memorizing the superficial muscle groups so that I can identify them in reference pictures. Once I can do that, then I'll work on memorizing where and how each group attaches. Then how they contract and extend with various movements. Then... I'll understand muscles pretty well! Lol.

To pass this stage:
    1) Can I identify the superficial muscle groups in any given reference picture? Can I draw those pictures without leaving any of the major muscle groups out? (At this stage, it's most important that all of the muscles are present and that no new, strange ones are forming. Proportion and accuracy will come later.)
    2) Can I draw out a simple diagram of the superficial muscle groups? Are they roughly the right shapes? (Correct attachments, proportions, placements, volume, etc. will all come later.)
    3) Can I add the superficial muscle groups to figures that I drew from imagination, starting with the gesture/stick figure and working my way up? (It's okay if I'm guessing about attachments, placement, etc. as long as I include all of the major ones that would be visible and don't create any weird new ones.)

Bonus: Can I do those things for bodies with different proportions?
    Bonus times ten: Can I do those things from any view, no matter how strange? Front, 3/4 front, side, 3/4 back, back, above, below... Combinations thereof... Foreshortened views...

Finally: because every sketchbook post deserves some art, I'm re-posting the studies that I posted to the critique thread above.

Last edited by furiana; June 25th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Yesterday's anatomy-focused drawing.

Thanks
    Hi furiana - you've got yourself a challenge
    I'll post something finished, embarrassed or not, tomorrow. You too! We'll let it be the first step on the road to many great, future masterpieces.

Some stuff I see in your sketchbook -
    Last drawing definately shows evidence of understanding, you're getting there. But watch stuff like the head, which doesn't give any evidence of form. have you done a lot of bone studies? Skull studies? I make sure that when I study muscle groups I understand the bones underneath and where exactly the muscles connect (bridgman is good for this; he has specific diagrams to show muscle origins), I think it helps. I want to see some ribcages, some scapulas and clavicles and pelvises! For stuff like this, Stephen Peck's Atlas of Anatomy for the Artist is a good reference point, and Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy is great too. And I like the drawings from life (I need to do more of those), but with the shading, try to.. (how to say?) feel the form more. Really feel it out in your head, in three dimensions, try to show that on the paper. Follow the forms you're drawing with your lines! It helps to understand.

Good work! keep going.

Thanks
    Shoot. I'm going to have to wait on the bone studies. What I'll do is pay more attention to the planes of the head (etc) while I finish up my current mini-goals. Then I'll start on bones...

It might not take too long, actually. I just did a rotten little sketch from imagination, and I got most of the back muscles right. "Right," meaning I didn't leave any out.

Evidence of effort:
    1) Today's life drawing. I wish I'd seen Marlee's comment before I did this, but whatever. It's not like I won't be doing another tomorrow!
    2) Figure from the back, from imagination. I wanted to see where I am with that. I don't want my figures-from-imagination to lapse too far behind my figures-from-references, because I don't always have access to the Internet when an idea strikes me. It feels like I'm mapping a muscle texture onto a Poser doll! But, hey, I've got to start somewhere.

Thanks
    Hi there welcome great start, I really like your object drawings, and keep up the muscle and bone studies.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    I may or may not do a muscle study from a photograph today. However, I've got some work done on the WIP for the first finished piece that I'll be posting on CA.

(It got a bit rotated on the scanner, but I won't worry about that for right now.)

Thanks
    I tried to feel the shape more when shading. I should have picked an object that I could see more clearly, though.

Thanks
    Whew! Your WIP looks great so far I love seeing tough foreshortening stuff.

Thanks
    Thank you! For some reason, I've been doing tons of weird foreshortened poses lately. I can only do them from reference at this point, but that will change.

Thanks
    Great lines. I'm really impressed by the straightness that pen drawing great job with it.

Thanks
    Hi furiana. On to the point, post 2, sketch 3, the table with the chairs, the perspective isn't good that much, I suggest you to draw the exact scene again but slowly this time, paitiently, getting the right perspective. Observe a real table with chairs, see where you made a mistake and try correcting it this time.

The first sketch is nice, well done. On to the post 3, look at the tube ending, the opening, it isn't right, it shouldn't be that much circled, rather an elliptical, quite elliptical...try putting the pencil or similar in front of the screen, in front of the tube, imitating the tube on the sketch, based on entire sketch object, you'll see that it isn't circle, but elliptical, almost a line.

The girl sketch is very very good, I can't locate any bigger mistakes. Well done, All in all, KEEP PRACTICING, all you should be doing. See you around.

Thanks
    loper42: Thank you! It was kindof stupid of me to try that freehand, but at least it turned out okay! ;p

Nenad, what a humbling breakdown of my stuff! :lol: I'm really glad you like the first sketch and the girl sketch! Sadly, the table and chairs were done from observation. I rushed it, and I deserved what I got. I'll have to re-visit that scene like you said. I'll also have to practice with the pencils (good idea!); ellipses give me a hard time, so I could use the practice. Thanks for all the tips!

As for the picture for my "competition" with Marlee: I'm really, really frustrated with how this keeps turning out. I guess pastel on printer paper wasn't such a good idea, but even the inked version doesn't look right. I'm going to come back to this later today, but I need a break for now.

(I'm including the color/value scheme tester that I did in Paint. Might as well!)

ETA: Does anybody know the etiquette for using the "Thanks" button in one's own sketchbook? Do I thank everybody who comments? Only the posts with detailed comments? None at all?

Thanks

Hello

I like the girl sketch most. You are going good I think.

I don't have any crits, because I don't see myself apt to do it. But I can suggest something that you can ignore safely, because it's only about my personal taste.

That said, if I were you, I would try to use lines that vary in thickness. I'm saying that especially about the girl sketch. Varying line thickness gives volume to the drawings I think. But that's a bit personal taste as I said.

You're good by the way, keep drawing and posting.

Thanks
    I just realized that I forgot to post this last night.

Hey, gordebak! Thanks! I tried to vary my lines more like you suggested. I'll need to learn how to get even more line variation out of my pen (I use a dip pen), but I do like the result more.

So, Marlee: I'm done too! My sketchbook is no longer nothing but studies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by furiana

Nenad, what a humbling breakdown of my stuff! :lol: I'm really glad you like the first sketch and the girl sketch! Sadly, the table and chairs were done from observation. I rushed it, and I deserved what I got. I'll have to re-visit that scene like you said. I'll also have to practice with the pencils (good idea!); ellipses give me a hard time, so I could use the practice. Thanks for all the tips!
    So the chairs were done by observation ha, never mind, Like I said, go slowly, line by line, until you recognize bad no more. It's important that you realize your own drawing mistakes. And, nice and clean the last one, don't stop..see ya.

Thanks

Hi furiana

I think it's better. Good job!

If you like to use a pen and can't get the varying thickness, you may consider getting a pen brush. But, again, I know, it's personal taste.

Don't forget to draw how it makes you happy.

Thanks
    Hey, Nenad! Thanks for the encouragement yet again;

gordabek, I'm glad it looks better! I love experimenting, so I'm putting the pen brush on my wishlist. If I don't like it, I don't like it; if I do, I do!

I haven't got my daily drawings done yet because I've been working on a request over on the FurAffinity forums. I spent far more time on it than I should have. <.<;

On the other hand, I think I can identify the major muscles shapes in photographs now! Yay! I still need to practice mapping the muscles onto imaginary figures, though. And I need to memorize the muscles from the front. Ah, well.

Thanks
    Today's (tonight's?) study. Familiar?

I'm starting to use some of the advice that people gave earlier, with "starting" being the key word...

Thanks
    Beautiful umbrella. I like the details. It looks like its in perspective to me. Nice observation. Perspective is not easy.

Honestly, the only work on here that I would say isn't up to par with the others is the multi-colored work. But I think color is another ball game in terms of seeing.

Thanks
    Hey, nice sense of three dimensions in those last two. And I like the finished piece!
    However, I think what was being said about your lines all being the same thickness/tone/etc could be helped by doing more gestures (and more accurate ones, too). Do you use posemaniacs? Its a really helpful tool that can help you to loosen up a bit and learn to let your lines flow a bit more freely. Just a suggestion, carry on

edit; P.S. as for thanking etiquette (haha..) I don't think it matters too much I thank everyone who replies to my sketchbook posts because they've taken the time to write something to encourage/help me and why not make use of a nifty little button to show my appreciation? I think its nice. Your question made me smile, though.

Last edited by Marlee.; June 29th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks
    loper42: I'm glad that stupid umbrella-table looks better this time! Yeah, I'm waiting until I understand anatomy, perspective, value, etc. better before I really start on color.

Marlee: Yay!

It's funny you mention gesture drawing. I do that every morning before I draw something from life (normally objects, as you've seen); I just don't post them. I'm not a huge fan of Posemaniacs anymore, so I do my gestures from DeviantArt stock art and YouTube videos. <.<;

As for the thanks... Heh. Well, I just wasn't sure how people do things around here!

Today's sketch is below. I wanted to practice something that was long and cylindrical like the gas lighter. It amazes me how hard it is to draw something so simple!

Thanks

Anatomy: Muscle (Back)

I'm feeling quite proud! After examining multiple muscle diagrams and comparing them to pictures of people, I've settled on a simplified diagram of the major superficial muscle groups for the back. I'm able to draw it from my head. And although I can't name them all, I haven't left any of the major ones out... I don't think! :p Goal number 2 from this post is officially accomplished.

I'm almost comfortable with marking off 1 and 3 as well, but I keep encountering "mystery muscles" in pictures of people. Knowing the muscles' attachments will help me draw them when they aren't obvious, but the "mystery muscles" disturb me. Sometimes there's an extra bulge on a tricep or something, and I don't know what to...

... Oh, I got it! That's the third head to the triceps muscle! Okay, then. All I need to do is draw up proof that goal one is finished, and I'll count it accomplished as well!

I still need more practice for #3, though. I've been able to map the muscles onto my "Poser dolls" so far, but I've only tried very simple poses directly from the back. I need more practice there. Still! I'm slowly making progress in the anatomy department, and it's benefiting my drawings from pictures and my drawings from imagination. I can't complain too much about that!

(And no, I still haven't studied the correct attachments/placement for these muscles yet. I haven't done the skull studies or anything either. That comes later. )

-----------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: I got the other drawings done!

1. Can I identify the superficial muscle groups in any given reference picture? Can I draw those pictures without leaving any of the major muscle groups out? (At this stage, it's most important that all of the muscles are present and that no new, strange ones are forming. Proportion and accuracy will come later.)

Yes, I can! Thanks to my realization about "mystery muscles", I'm not having trouble anymore. I chose to leave some of them out because they weren't visibly separate in the photograph, but I still knew what they were.

2. Can I draw out a simple diagram of the superficial muscle groups? Are they roughly the right shapes? (Correct attachments, proportions, placements, volume, etc. will all come later.)

Yes, I can!

3. Can I add the superficial muscle groups to figures that I drew from imagination, starting with the gesture/stick figure and working my way up? (It's okay if I'm guessing about attachments, placement, etc. as long as I include all of the major ones that would be visible and don't create any weird new ones.)

Well, yeah, I can do that too. I have trouble from the side (his leg) because I haven't studied the side view yet, but I got the back okay.

Now do I repeat the process for the muscles in the front, or do I study the attachment/placement for the muscles in the back? Or should I do some more imaginative stuff from imagination using my new knowledge?

Last edited by furiana; June 30th, 2010 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks
    Oof. I bit off more than I could chew with today's study.

However, I had some fun last night thinking up ideas for a demon. I love the look where the skin is so thin that you could see every striation; it's really creepy, done right. So now I'm wondering what would happen if you drew a demon in that kind of style, but they were missing some of the major muscles? You'd be able to see every bump of the smaller muscles underneath! I can't decide which would be worse: seeing a creature like that moving normally as if it weren't the muscles required, or watching it writhe because it can't produce coordinated movement. :shiver:

The other thing I'm wondering is about its coloring. If the muscles were visible, maybe some of them still have more blood left than others? Maybe some of the muscles are still filled with blood and life, while others are brown and dessicated? Maybe some of the muscles are turning blue with cold?

Anyways, it was quite a bit of fun! I just wish the colors had scanned more accurately; it's supposed to be brown, not purple...

EDIT: Damn! I don't have the skills to pull this off yet. Oh, well. For posterity, here's an example of the kind of creature I have in mind. This one is nothing but an axial skeleton, although we can still see the shadows of its limbs when it "runs." (It would be running if it still had its limbs. All that's visible is a contorting spine.) All that's left of its muscles are two neck muscles, still partially full of blood.

Eventually I'll be able to draw one with minor muscles everywhere: red along the spine, but dessicated everywhere else.

Last edited by furiana; June 30th, 2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added picture

Thanks
    Another object chosen for practice with ellipses. This time I tried to construct everything uses boxes in perspective. The box stage looked great, but I screwed it up somehow when I tried to turn them into ellipses.

Thanks
    Going to an even simpler shape. Apparently I still need some work with the basics. I tilted it by accident for sure, and I'm starting to see what I should have done differently for the rounded bowl part. Well, at least I've isolated the problem!

FYI, I'm going to be out of town from tomorrow until the 10th. I may or may not have access to the internet, and I probably won't have access to a scanner. I'll update when I get back.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.