Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Furiana's SB

Thanks

Furiana's SB

I'm an artist who uses traditional media, mainly colored pencil and charcoal.

I tend to come and go, but I try to return feedback when I get it. Speaking of feedback: Critiques are welcomed, especially when they point out recurring problems.

Now, on to the art!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by furiana; June 24th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Today's sketches

Charcoal

Last edited by furiana; June 22nd, 2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Trouble uploading the images

Thanks
    Leaving out the gesture sketches today.

Thanks
    Again, leaving out the gesture sketches. I probably won't post more of those until I think I see a clear improvement. Hopefully that won't take too long!

I'm trying out a new style of outlining/shading for this one. Some of the hatching got lost in the scan, but I quite like the results IRL. It gives the drawing more life than I'd expect out of a chip clip!

Last edited by furiana; June 24th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    A terrycloth towel. I'm quite pleased with how this turned out!

Thanks

Anatomy

I might as well keep track of my progress with anatomy here, too. I already got some feedback in this thread, and it sounds like I mainly need practice. So, I've come up with a lesson plan for myself!

I'm memorizing the superficial muscle groups so that I can identify them in reference pictures. Once I can do that, then I'll work on memorizing where and how each group attaches. Then how they contract and extend with various movements. Then... I'll understand muscles pretty well! Lol.

To pass this stage:
    1) Can I identify the superficial muscle groups in any given reference picture? Can I draw those pictures without leaving any of the major muscle groups out? (At this stage, it's most important that all of the muscles are present and that no new, strange ones are forming. Proportion and accuracy will come later.)
    2) Can I draw out a simple diagram of the superficial muscle groups? Are they roughly the right shapes? (Correct attachments, proportions, placements, volume, etc. will all come later.)
    3) Can I add the superficial muscle groups to figures that I drew from imagination, starting with the gesture/stick figure and working my way up? (It's okay if I'm guessing about attachments, placement, etc. as long as I include all of the major ones that would be visible and don't create any weird new ones.)

Bonus: Can I do those things for bodies with different proportions?
    Bonus times ten: Can I do those things from any view, no matter how strange? Front, 3/4 front, side, 3/4 back, back, above, below... Combinations thereof... Foreshortened views...

Finally: because every sketchbook post deserves some art, I'm re-posting the studies that I posted to the critique thread above.

Last edited by furiana; June 25th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Yesterday's anatomy-focused drawing.

Thanks
    Hi furiana - you've got yourself a challenge
    I'll post something finished, embarrassed or not, tomorrow. You too! We'll let it be the first step on the road to many great, future masterpieces.

Some stuff I see in your sketchbook -
    Last drawing definately shows evidence of understanding, you're getting there. But watch stuff like the head, which doesn't give any evidence of form. have you done a lot of bone studies? Skull studies? I make sure that when I study muscle groups I understand the bones underneath and where exactly the muscles connect (bridgman is good for this; he has specific diagrams to show muscle origins), I think it helps. I want to see some ribcages, some scapulas and clavicles and pelvises! For stuff like this, Stephen Peck's Atlas of Anatomy for the Artist is a good reference point, and Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy is great too. And I like the drawings from life (I need to do more of those), but with the shading, try to.. (how to say?) feel the form more. Really feel it out in your head, in three dimensions, try to show that on the paper. Follow the forms you're drawing with your lines! It helps to understand.

Good work! keep going.

Thanks
    Shoot. I'm going to have to wait on the bone studies. What I'll do is pay more attention to the planes of the head (etc) while I finish up my current mini-goals. Then I'll start on bones...

It might not take too long, actually. I just did a rotten little sketch from imagination, and I got most of the back muscles right. "Right," meaning I didn't leave any out.

Evidence of effort:
    1) Today's life drawing. I wish I'd seen Marlee's comment before I did this, but whatever. It's not like I won't be doing another tomorrow!
    2) Figure from the back, from imagination. I wanted to see where I am with that. I don't want my figures-from-imagination to lapse too far behind my figures-from-references, because I don't always have access to the Internet when an idea strikes me. It feels like I'm mapping a muscle texture onto a Poser doll! But, hey, I've got to start somewhere.

Thanks
    Hi there welcome great start, I really like your object drawings, and keep up the muscle and bone studies.

*Animation *Illustration *Comic *Caricatures *Storyboards Eco/ political/ educational- art

Thanks
    I may or may not do a muscle study from a photograph today. However, I've got some work done on the WIP for the first finished piece that I'll be posting on CA.

(It got a bit rotated on the scanner, but I won't worry about that for right now.)

Thanks
    I tried to feel the shape more when shading. I should have picked an object that I could see more clearly, though.

Thanks
    Whew! Your WIP looks great so far I love seeing tough foreshortening stuff.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.