Hannes' and Jana's paintover thread :D - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm good idea guys. You guys won't mind if I pitch in and help out? Seems like you could use the extra help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pxelslayer

Jana and Hannes have both done countless still lifes from natural light sources they can get those kind of colors and results because they have a fairly good understanding of light and how it works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jana and hannes, this is a fucking awesome thread guys, you guys rock, i hope you guys keep rocking. i think you guys are just totes cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was way too impressed with this to not do this...

Any help is much appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images  

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the best thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't believe I'm finding out about this thread just now! This is an incredibly nice gesture you guys are offering us.

I just finished this for a contest today, but I'm willing to go back on work on it some more to learn from my mistakes, and I'm considering whether or not I should use this for a portfolio review this upcoming spring.

I wanted to use a lot of contrast to create drama (since the contest theme was "over dramatic"), but something just doesn't seem right to me. And I can't figure out what's wrong with my tired eyes at the moment. Thanks for the help.

--------------------------------------------
    "It's pointless to hate people . . ." - Gale from Digital Devil Saga 2

CA Sketchbook | CGHub Gallery | Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by r y a n o i r View Post
    honestly, half of you that post your pictures just need more practice, that's all it is o_o
    Not half, all of us need more practice baby!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexEh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    honestly, half of you that post your pictures just need more practice
    And direction, hence the thread. Seeing how others interpret your image not only shows you an immediate fix, it can also clue you into a principle you had struggled to learn and give you an idea of the areas you need to study.

If we all just studied without getting help and advice from time to time we wouldn't progress nearly as much as if we did.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    honestly, half of you that post your pictures just need more practice, that's all it is o_o
    What an ambiguous, uninspiring, and ultimately unhelpful thought. It has the exact opposite effect of what this thread is trying to create. I beg you sir, please never become an instructor in anything unless you change your views.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice thread.

I saw work improved in here that was kinda "target quality" for me.

I need to re-arrange my targets a little or I'll end up being average. Average is like background de-saturated silhouette objects when everyone delivers the same quality work, it's worse than noob work, the only way to be noticed again is to be exceptional.

I'll revisit this thread a couple of times for inspiration. It's a little quiet though.

Anyone haz candy or cookies for bait?

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome thread indeed! (:
    I think I shall stalk this thread...

Maybe you could help me with my current picture.

Im not sure about the left hand,sword and his torso. And yes its supposed to be a guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah jana and hannes both of you are so kind to open up this thread, i really learned a lot and you guys are so good in doing art. But there are too many submissions hmm ,and i guess you guys are really busy. maybe let other experts help out too? like what cghub is doing

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to pop in and say you both are awesome for doing this. You're great inspirations both art-wise and socialy.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

under, composition and light

made this sketch a while back, would love to get some pointers on composition, pose and light for this one. yes, me know the anatomy is the suck on this so far great thread, much kudos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry in advance for the essay that i wrote

oh hey i didnt know you guys were on here! big fan of you guys on deviantart, this is a nice surprise. oh wait then again you did do team chow a while back. anyway, thats great that youre doing this, thats just ridiculously generous. im not really looking for a paint over, just some crits and pointers.
    though ive realized theres no "magic tutorial" thatll solve everyones problems (they do help, though ). ive found you really have to just gut out and draw more. like algen, (i guess youre hannes?) i found your sketchbook and went all the way back to page 1 and saw your figure drawing stuff and thought that was really awesome, so i started doing a bunch of 60 sec poses as well (posemaniacs is amazing btw). im also going through all the old animal books i found in my room and just drawing EVERYTHING. good stuff. ive been meaning to ask, you two have some of the best understanding of lighting i have seen in ANYBODY (except maybe leventep ). i saw you two both did a lot of still lifes - i have too, just not as much and all traditionally (im sure you both have hard drives full of still lifes and life drawings and such). what i wanted to know was whether or not you guys purposely bump up the contrast in places to make things pop more. for example, hannes(?), heres your drum still life:
    Name:  boing_boing_by_algenpfleger.jpg
Views: 4506
Size:  220.2 KB
    ...i just have a hard time believing the lighting actually looked that dramatic. dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with that. actually i think it looks amazing i just wanted to know if you used some artistic license there and played with the lighting a bit. cuz i really like your guys' painting style, and i would like to paint like the both of you some day, or at least your understanding of light. again, i know theres no magic thing you can say to help with that, but it would be nice to just get pushed in the right direction. so here are some questions i have for what you guys did to get where you are today:
    -the bit about playing with the lighting
    -did you get to understand light so well mostly through painting from life, or by painting from your imagination and just keep at it till it looked right and learned what to do like that? or was is about the same amount of both?
    -did either of you take any kind of lighting/color theory class? did it help or was it mostly just the experience from painting?
    -and just for fun: why do you two paint so similar? i pretty much cant tell you two apart. did you go through the same art school? i know youre like best buddies but its almost scary how close your styles are O.o

again sorry for the essay. couldnt help myself
    anyway, heres two of my latest pieces i wouldnt mind some insight on. i saw earlier on this thread one of you mentioned to someone about simplifying shapes. i already know i can tend to overwork my stuff (especially the waterfall one), but some advice on how i can avoid that would be nice. like a different way of rendering perhaps? i saw from jana's "toph" tutorial, she starts off with pretty high contrast compared to what im doing. well i dont wanna make you too two read anymore, so ill end my ranting here. thanks a bunch for everything you guys do. inspirin' pair, you two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really need help with this one. It's a painting I started today and it's for a job.
    It feels very dull and I'd like to make the lightning better. It's very dark right now and I don't really know how light I should let it go before it looses the scary aspect.

Rip it apart please!

*updated*

Last edited by Loathsome; July 16th, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really want to get better at drawing and painting and I think this forum can help me do that. It is kind of daunting seeing how most everyone's skill levels are very far above my own.

Well I've been working on this.

Last edited by Valen; July 15th, 2010 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yikes.. looks like the duo Hannes and Jana have a lot of work to catch up on.. looking forward to the paint overs..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So here's an outstanding question. I know that Hannes & Jana were somehow involved with the whole TAD drama that was going on in the lounge and elsewhere. So are they simply busy with work, or are they reducing/ending their involvement with CA? If the latter, we may want to find others to help pick up some of the backlog.

That might be a good idea at this point in either case, given the large amount of people waiting for paintovers.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know yall have got a lot to do, but if you manage, here's mine.
    I know the hands are messed up but the only thing that can fix that is more practice. It's the color/lighting that messes this up i think. Also general anatomy. And background.
    Anyway:
    Name:  painting.png
Views: 4307
Size:  1.41 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even though I would like to show something that is in definite need of this kind of criticism; I'll wait until Algenpfleger and Janaschi have a much lighter workload, or get other really skilled people doing this. Other than that, I like this idea.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God damn it, why are images still being posted? The thread is a mess. People are posting like 3 images in one post!

Let's just take it easy for a while untill the artists come back.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    God damn it, why are images still being posted? The thread is a mess. People are posting like 3 images in one post!

Let's just take it easy for a while untill the artists come back.
    Agreed. Besides, some of these have basic anatomy and composition problems that could be dealt with in their own threads.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    So here's an outstanding question. I know that Hannes & Jana were somehow involved with the whole TAD drama that was going on in the lounge and elsewhere. So are they simply busy with work, or are they reducing/ending their involvement with CA? If the latter, we may want to find others to help pick up some of the backlog.

That might be a good idea at this point in either case, given the large amount of people waiting for paintovers.
    Could you start another paintover thread? Maybe one with more structured rules?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't understand what is going on. At the end of page 3 I posted asking everyone to lay back and wait for the artists to catch up.
    Everyone agreed with me.
    And then produced 2 more pages of pictures, sometimes posting multiple pictures per post.

Seriosly, at least 3 paintovers should be posted before any new images are put up. I know I don't run the thread, and I already got my paintover but here is a run-through of what is happening:

*The artists are busy so they have stopped producing paintovers for an undetermined period of time.
    *Once they come back to this thread, do you think they will be more enthousiastic about re-starting their paintovers if they saw 3-5 pictures, or 2 entire pages of them?
    *The more pictures there are, the less chance they will paint over them.

Now, having said that, you can do one of two things:
    1) Post more pictures, which minimizes the chance of you getting a paintover to 0, as well as all the other posters as well.
    or
    2) You can stop posting images and wait for the paintovers to start happening again, in which case when the artists catch up your image will have a greater chance of getting a paintover later on.

Choose yourself, I'm out.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    Even though I would like to show something that is in definite need of this kind of criticism; I'll wait until Algenpfleger and Janaschi have a much lighter workload, or get other really skilled people doing this. Other than that, I like this idea.
    I agree..I would offer my services if I had that much confidence in my skills. however if I tried a paintover on something I could help with would anyone object?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since Hannes and Jana aren't around anymore, I'm closing this. I'd be happy to reopen it if either of them wants. If anybody else wants start another, feel free.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 21