Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Mmm good idea guys. You guys won't mind if I pitch in and help out? Seems like you could use the extra help

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Pxelslayer

Jana and Hannes have both done countless still lifes from natural light sources they can get those kind of colors and results because they have a fairly good understanding of light and how it works!

Thanks
    jana and hannes, this is a fucking awesome thread guys, you guys rock, i hope you guys keep rocking. i think you guys are just totes cool.

Thanks
    I was way too impressed with this to not do this...

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
    This is the best thread.

Thanks
    I can't believe I'm finding out about this thread just now! This is an incredibly nice gesture you guys are offering us.

I just finished this for a contest today, but I'm willing to go back on work on it some more to learn from my mistakes, and I'm considering whether or not I should use this for a portfolio review this upcoming spring.

I wanted to use a lot of contrast to create drama (since the contest theme was "over dramatic"), but something just doesn't seem right to me. And I can't figure out what's wrong with my tired eyes at the moment. Thanks for the help.
    --------------------------------------------
    "It's pointless to hate people . . ." - Gale from Digital Devil Saga 2

CA Sketchbook | | Portfolio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r y a n o i r View Post
    honestly, half of you that post your pictures just need more practice, that's all it is o_o
    Not half, all of us need more practice baby!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexEh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,120 Posts
    honestly, half of you that post your pictures just need more practice
    And direction, hence the thread. Seeing how others interpret your image not only shows you an immediate fix, it can also clue you into a principle you had struggled to learn and give you an idea of the areas you need to study.

If we all just studied without getting help and advice from time to time we wouldn't progress nearly as much as if we did.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    honestly, half of you that post your pictures just need more practice, that's all it is o_o
    What an ambiguous, uninspiring, and ultimately unhelpful thought. It has the exact opposite effect of what this thread is trying to create. I beg you sir, please never become an instructor in anything unless you change your views.

Thanks
    Really nice thread.

I saw work improved in here that was kinda "target quality" for me.

I need to re-arrange my targets a little or I'll end up being average. Average is like background de-saturated silhouette objects when everyone delivers the same quality work, it's worse than noob work, the only way to be noticed again is to be exceptional.

I'll revisit this thread a couple of times for inspiration. It's a little quiet though.

Anyone haz candy or cookies for bait?
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Awesome thread indeed! (:
    I think I shall stalk this thread...

Maybe you could help me with my current picture.

Hannes' and Jana's paintover thread :D

I´m not sure about the left hand,sword and his torso. And yes it´s supposed to be a guy.

Thanks
    woah jana and hannes both of you are so kind to open up this thread, i really learned a lot and you guys are so good in doing art. But there are too many submissions hmm ,and i guess you guys are really busy. maybe let other experts help out too? like what is doing

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I just wanted to pop in and say you both are awesome for doing this. You're great inspirations both art-wise and socialy.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks

under, composition and light

made this sketch a while back, would love to get some pointers on composition, pose and light for this one. yes, me know the anatomy is the suck on this so far great thread, much kudos

Thanks
    sorry in advance for the essay that i wrote

oh hey i didnt know you guys were on here! big fan of you guys on deviantart, this is a nice surprise. oh wait then again you did do team chow a while back. anyway, thats great that youre doing this, thats just ridiculously generous. im not really looking for a paint over, just some crits and pointers.
    though ive realized theres no "magic tutorial" thatll solve everyones problems (they do help, though ). ive found you really have to just gut out and draw more. like algen, (i guess youre hannes?) i found your sketchbook and went all the way back to page 1 and saw your figure drawing stuff and thought that was really awesome, so i started doing a bunch of 60 sec poses as well (posemaniacs is amazing btw). im also going through all the old animal books i found in my room and just drawing EVERYTHING. good stuff. ive been meaning to ask, you two have some of the best understanding of lighting i have seen in ANYBODY (except maybe leventep ). i saw you two both did a lot of still lifes - i have too, just not as much and all traditionally (im sure you both have hard drives full of still lifes and life drawings and such). what i wanted to know was whether or not you guys purposely bump up the contrast in places to make things pop more. for example, hannes(?), heres your drum still life:
    Attachment 1018700
    ...i just have a hard time believing the lighting actually looked that dramatic. dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with that. actually i think it looks amazing i just wanted to know if you used some artistic license there and played with the lighting a bit. cuz i really like your guys' painting style, and i would like to paint like the both of you some day, or at least your understanding of light. again, i know theres no magic thing you can say to help with that, but it would be nice to just get pushed in the right direction. so here are some questions i have for what you guys did to get where you are today:
    -the bit about playing with the lighting
    -did you get to understand light so well mostly through painting from life, or by painting from your imagination and just keep at it till it looked right and learned what to do like that? or was is about the same amount of both?
    -did either of you take any kind of lighting/color theory class? did it help or was it mostly just the experience from painting?
    -and just for fun: why do you two paint so similar? i pretty much cant tell you two apart. did you go through the same art school? i know youre like best buddies but its almost scary how close your styles are O.o

again sorry for the essay. couldnt help myself
    anyway, heres two of my latest pieces i wouldnt mind some insight on. i saw earlier on this thread one of you mentioned to someone about simplifying shapes. i already know i can tend to overwork my stuff (especially the waterfall one), but some advice on how i can avoid that would be nice. like a different way of rendering perhaps? i saw from jana's "toph" tutorial, she starts off with pretty high contrast compared to what im doing. well i dont wanna make you too two read anymore, so ill end my ranting here. thanks a bunch for everything you guys do. inspirin' pair, you two.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast