Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Thanks so much guys! We're glad to not be useless for the first time

Mc2mc2! How're you doing man!
    I thought yours was really nice, you obviously know how to render form and create depth and all that already, your values are great and the shapes work too! So pretty much only two things, first would be, perspective is always everywhere! And you can really use it especially if you want to make things look tall or far away, it's what can help you to really open up space. Yours had a pretty much straight on view, which flattened out the painting a bit. Dare to play around with angles a bit more!
    Second would be the composition, watch out to not have all the shapes the same size, big ones and small ones are what makes a scene appear detailed without being crowded! I also thought that the format was really too crammed, everything bumped on the edges, so I opened it up a little, negative space is just as important as the shapes themselves! Try to find a good balance. Anyways, not much to crit man, you're awesome, looking forward to being at TAD with you!

Attachment 1006134

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    !!! This is amazing. I'm learning a ton even though they aren't my paintings. Thanks a million Alpenfleger and Janaschi, you eternally rule.

Thanks

Thank you Sir for kicking my butt and showing me how it's done D:
    Alright this'll probably take awhile for me to digest haha.

And I'm doing alright dude! And likewise...looking forward to seeing the both of you in class!!

edit:
    woah...Happy Birthday Hannes! You should be out enjoying your birthday but instead you're in here helping all of us out?!
    You're really something else haha
    Last edited by mc2mc2; June 25th, 2010 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks
    this thread is really great. and I agree with eekolite ..you learn alot by just following this thread. and happy birthday, algenpfleger! have a great day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 96 Posts
    Algenpfleger: Wow great paintovers! I mean I learned a lot D: especially the camera stuff wasnt really clear for me before o_o!
    And aww, youre too kind, doing paintovers on your brithday! ;3;

mc2mc2: yeaaah, please show us the finished painting! *0* I was a bit afraid of your post here, because youre already so good! XD I was wondering how we could help, but Alge did a great job! See you at tad! :3

aLDoDarK: no problem, youre welcome

Tetrodotoxin: ah cool! it makes me happy if the op was helpful

MattGamer, Kvick, Quike Garcia, eekolite, marika : hey hey, thank you for your support! < 3 < 3
    Last edited by Janaschi; June 25th, 2010 at 04:39 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janaschi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A picture is worth 1,000 words

awesome thread! i'll keep watching it and learn as much as possible. Thanks, Hannes and Jana!

Thanks
    Gee, guys, that's wonderful! Thank you so much for the tips and the PO, Janaschi, you gave me a lot of ideas to work on. You definitely fixed up the values, like a ton. You're right about the staircase. I just wanted to show a bit of environment, but I think I'll have to do it in a different way; show a bit of floor like in your version. Yours is also less flat.

Happy birthday Hannes! It's my birthday too, so I guess I got a little gift from you two.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Janaschi View Post
    Benjaminba:
    Since you havent done much for the colors I reduced the saturation and focused on the values Maybe it would help you too to do some valuesketches before you start coloring? Also be careful! I colors already tend to be very saturated, there is a dark and atmospheric mood, more earthy colors feel more harmonious in this context (maybe start with a greyish tone as a keytone instead of a bright blue) Hmm what else should I say? Hmm I dont really liked the stairs. They take too much place. Ahh I dont know what else to say, if you have question feel free to ask D:

Attachment 1005895

HULKFish:
    hi~ Textures are insignificant. I saw that you painted every single stubble, thats not necessary (you can also construct stubbles by using a blueish tones around the face for example). I would suggest that you dont use a small brush until the very end. Try to paint instead of using lasso tool and airbrush. Use a hard round brush for example. Do some photostudies and learn how to paint hair for example and how highlights work, how light works. Paint more, airbrush less

Attachment 1005896

Aw its late, I need to go to bed °_°
    Thank you so much! INCREDIBLE insight! You nailed it! I started from lineart and this was my first try at painting and removing the lineart. All I can say is, "I'm not worthy!" (in my best Wayne's World impression)

Thanks
    holly hell this topic is amazing!!
    SketchBook - In my vocabulary, gory is a verb! visit me! Except blood fainters

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Ooh ooh! What a great thread!! Can I drop one on you for your opinion?

It was for the Chow, but I ran out of time, inspiration and reference. I kinda want to polish her up a bit more as I like the character but I don't know where to start. I'm better at people than environments. The background is supposed to be a jukebox throne and speakers with fleur-de-leys flocked wallpaper and platinum discs hung up, the theme is supposed to be based on 70's interior design.

I really want to push myself to the next level and your insight would be invaluable, that's only if you have the time of course.

Thanks
    Hannes and Jana,

Amazing show of skill and understanding. I agree with everyone. You two are absolutely awesome and I see this thread going places. I will throw my hat in the ring. I made a thread for this image, then I found this amazing place of wonder.

This character concept is my first in a series of new and fresh portfolio pieces. It is very important to me and I want to put a strong finish on it. If you could work your magic, I would be extremely grateful!

Hannes' and Jana's paintover thread :D

Thanks
    Love the thread Hannes and Jana! Here's a wip I'm working on, I need to get some ref for the hand ( looks like I erased part of her chest/shoulder connection when I was messing with her hand) , anything else you can do to point me in the right direction?

( she's pulling a rose petal from her mouth btw )

Thanks
    Here is a recent photorealism piece I did. I would like some tips and things please!

Thanks
    Thanks so much for this thread guys, you are truly awesome!

Here's a ninja I painted, but I can't seem to figure out what needs to change, although I am not satisfied with it. Anything you do to it would be mighty helpful!

Hannes' and Jana's paintover thread :D

Thanks
    Awesome thread! Any help with this would be appreciated

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast